Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

How do I know when it's enough?

stein
Posted 08/03/2016 - 13:07 Link
Today (finally) my new (used but as new) Tamron SP DI 90mm f2.8 Macro lens arrived from USA. Didn't get a chance to make any photos with it, but I'm happy it arrived without any damage
I think I'm done with spending on lenses for a while as I already went over the limit with my budget
I'm sure I have all the lenses I ever wanted, now just have to wait for the weather to clear up from depressive gray and cold to something warmer and brighter. Hopefully I'll start making pictures rather than just being bored inside...
davidwozhere
Posted 09/03/2016 - 01:21 Link
Only one macro lens? I've got six (the Industar is maybe the best of them)

Takumar preset 50mm f4
Pentax A 50mm f2.8 macro
Pentax M 100mm f4 macro
Industar 61 L/Z 50mm f2.8
Cosina AF 100mm f3.5
Amar 105mm f4.5 enlarger lens (arrived from Ukraine today)
and a full set of Pentax bellows
I'm still short of a Volna - anybody got one?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Edited by davidwozhere: 09/03/2016 - 01:21
stein
Posted 09/03/2016 - 05:41 Link
Yes, only one dedicated macro lens.

OTOH, I may have more of them once I sell the excess of my turntables (record players)... Piled up eleven of them. Not sure why I did that, but I did. Knowing that I can do such irrational things, I was afraid I just might start piling up lenses for no good reason at all, thus the topic...
johnriley
Posted 09/03/2016 - 09:15 Link
Be careful how you store all those lenses, finding them full of fungus wouldn't be good. An open shelf is best, with plenty of air circulation. The worst is a closed bag in a dark damp place.

stein, hoarding things is great, even turntables, sooner or later someone will come to you asking for a replacement for a Goldring Lenco GL75 weight assembly, and you might very well have one.
Best regards, John
davidtrout
Posted 09/03/2016 - 10:25 Link
I feel insufferably smug having never suffered from LBA or even CBA. That's not to say I haven't occasionally drooled over a new camera body that I couldn't justify buying.
But I've enjoyed this thread immensely and with a mixed sense of guilt and compassion wonder about founding a charity to try and help the poor souls so afflicted. Perhaps with lottery funding?
David
smudge
Posted 09/03/2016 - 11:20 Link
Would the lottery funding extend to buying me a DFA 15-30 David? Pretty please
Regards, Philip
Edited by smudge: 09/03/2016 - 11:21
davidtrout
Posted 09/03/2016 - 14:02 Link
smudge wrote:
Would the lottery funding extend to buying me a DFA 15-30 David? Pretty please

No, that is a quality lens and it would defeat the object. I envisage the Lottery funding would be used to buy the worst possible lenses with poor IQ for the LBA sufferers as aversion therapy. This would eventually lead to them realising that the lenses they already have are by far the best so they become cured.
In the event of any cash being left over after the success of the scheme I, as co-ordinator, would use the surplus to purchase a couple of lenses of my choice.
David.
stein
Posted 09/03/2016 - 22:20 Link
Comment Image

And it was worth waiting and the money. Not sure if this is a fly but it was staring at me when I came home. Grabbed my K-S1 and the Tamron 90mm Macro lens and took a few shots before the fly (or some other kind of insect maybe?) decided it's boring and flew away...
davidwozhere
Posted 09/03/2016 - 23:55 Link
Does a nice job that does. One of the things I like about macro is the sheer detail it shows you.

As to my collection of old glass, I plump for the problem of dust. They sit out in the open on the desk top where the air can get round them and I hoover them now and then with the brush attachment. Before they are used they get blasted with a rocket blower
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
OldTaffy
Posted 10/03/2016 - 22:19 Link
stu62 wrote:
you know what comes with these addictions

1 nagging
2 divorse
3 buy more cameras and lenses

I must be one of the luckiest members of this group. My dear missus is always offering to buy me this or that "for my birthday".

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
stein
Posted 11/03/2016 - 06:12 Link
I figured out two things lately. The insect on the photois a Violet Carpenter Bee, Xylocopa violacea.
The other thing is that my bag tells me that I already have more lenses than I really need. At first, I thought that the bag is just too small, later, that the Sigma 28-300mm Hyperzoom is unusualy big, but that was compared with the size of the K-S1, later it crossed my mind that the Tamron Macro and the tele/macro lenses are just big (all compared to the SMC DA 50mm F1.8 and the kit 18-55mm lens) and ended up realizing that all these lenses are just as big as they have to be, that the K-S1 is sized adequatly and the bag is sufficiently big for all the lenses I need to carry around... Ended up realizing I have two old manual 50mm lenses and one Sigma tele lense more than I need. Ok. Now just need to find someone to sell them to... I have definitely no intention to make a museum of unused photo gear. I did that with audio stuff and I already paid for that lesson. A good sturdy tripod will do much more for me than one more lense I don't need
stein
Posted 11/03/2016 - 06:16 Link
OldTaffy wrote:
stu62 wrote:
you know what comes with these addictions

1 nagging
2 divorse
3 buy more cameras and lenses

I must be one of the luckiest members of this group. My dear missus is always offering to buy me this or that "for my birthday".

Martin

Funny, I just realized that when asked what do I want for my birthday (Christmas or similar occasion) I always reply with the same dumb "nothing, thank you, a hug and a kiss will do" which usually ends up with getting me more points and a nice meal... (and some... adult content )
Smeggypants
Posted 11/03/2016 - 08:42 Link
I buy what I like. Miss Smeggy buys what she likes. If we ever think each other are being rash then we'll offer a second opinion but never demand the the one doesn't buy said item.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
tyronet2000
Posted 17/03/2016 - 15:50 Link
Having "something for your birthday" works a treat. I've already used up the birthdays happening about the time the A1 will all be dual carriageway, Lowestoft will have it's third crossing, and no roads will have any potholes
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.