Honest Opinions needed
Posted 14/01/2011 - 00:39
Link
At the risk of being forward, I've taken the liberty of having a bash at this in Photoshop.
I've made it clear on my Flickr photostream that this is not my image; but I'm more than happy to take it down if you wish. I've played around with the shadow/highlight function - more specifically, moved the shadow slider to the right more. I've also sharpened it slightly. To me this now doesn't look underexposed and the colours look more natural and warm, as if baking in glorious sunshine. Well - that's what I think anyway!

I've made it clear on my Flickr photostream that this is not my image; but I'm more than happy to take it down if you wish. I've played around with the shadow/highlight function - more specifically, moved the shadow slider to the right more. I've also sharpened it slightly. To me this now doesn't look underexposed and the colours look more natural and warm, as if baking in glorious sunshine. Well - that's what I think anyway!

Posted 14/01/2011 - 04:49
Link
Hmm - If this is cropped then I think it is too centred. Maybe lose just a little from the left and retain a little more on the right. Vertically seems fine.
On my laptop (MacBook - which generally have fantastic screens) Bob's version looks too warm whereas the original is not far off. What program are you using for editing ? I would suggest selectively lightening the head & right wing with a Dodge brush and then selectively re-sharpening the head with a sharpening brush.
On my laptop (MacBook - which generally have fantastic screens) Bob's version looks too warm whereas the original is not far off. What program are you using for editing ? I would suggest selectively lightening the head & right wing with a Dodge brush and then selectively re-sharpening the head with a sharpening brush.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 14/01/2011 - 05:09
Link
Here's what I had in mind ... took 2 mins in Aperture 3
Original on the left, re-worked on the right.
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/15qxnoy.jpg[/IMG]
Original on the left, re-worked on the right.
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/15qxnoy.jpg[/IMG]
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 14/01/2011 - 07:13
Link
It is a "cracking good shot" but as everyone (including you) has said it is a tad soft around the head. It looks like the focus point is on the birds back or maybe it's head moved but a bit of sharpening and a touch more exposure & fill would (has!) worked wonders.
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Posted 14/01/2011 - 08:58
Link
Was cogitating , and as you know I'm no expert . I've only just got here [ 08.48 ] and I was thinking hard . Had only viewed the original post and not started looking at any responses.
It's a gorgeous bird [ there I've said it ] love the detail
BUT
The head , yes I know it's turned back to give a dirty look ] is just a tad too dark. You are losing some detail there.
The I started to scroll - Snootchie's has lifted the head colour a bit too much and the bird is too much of a muchness - he's lost the slightly darker colours on the R side, of the pic though, that give it interest.
Frogfish - now that's about right in my uneducated eyes - he's got the difference in colour , very subtly , between the side that is well lit and the shaded side. The head is better. He's also managed to make the background very slightly warmer without overdoing it .
I wish I could do stuff like this
It's a gorgeous bird [ there I've said it ] love the detail
BUT
The head , yes I know it's turned back to give a dirty look ] is just a tad too dark. You are losing some detail there.
The I started to scroll - Snootchie's has lifted the head colour a bit too much and the bird is too much of a muchness - he's lost the slightly darker colours on the R side, of the pic though, that give it interest.
Frogfish - now that's about right in my uneducated eyes - he's got the difference in colour , very subtly , between the side that is well lit and the shaded side. The head is better. He's also managed to make the background very slightly warmer without overdoing it .
I wish I could do stuff like this
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 14/01/2011 - 09:21
Link
Whilst I think you chaps have done an excellent job, it's still not quite there. The eye is a sharpened eye, rather than an in-focus eye, and therefore lacks the crispness and detail that a good eye should have.
Very annoying, because it's so close to being a very good shot indeed.
I've been laid low with bronchitis. So a belated Happy New Year to all.
G
Very annoying, because it's so close to being a very good shot indeed.
I've been laid low with bronchitis. So a belated Happy New Year to all.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 14/01/2011 - 09:38
Link
George. Missed you. Thought it might have been an extended hangover. Sorry about the bronc. Pleased you have pulled through and back posting.
regards Thoramay
regards Thoramay
Posted 14/01/2011 - 09:51
Link
Thanks folks, I think I've decided the contrast is too high on this for my ancient program to cope with (Photoshop 7:blush I'm not much of a digital Guru when it comes to stuff like this though I think I should be able to manage some selective adhustments around the head.
Bob; wheres the highlight/shadow function? do you mean levels?
Mike; I like your crop, unfortunately I wanted this for an A3 print so would rather not crop anymore than I need, otherwise its going to look more like a Sparrowhawk than a Sparrow I did think It was too large in the frame as it was.
Having said all this I think George has hit the nail on the head and the biggest problem is going to be the eye
Will have to wait till I know were having a judge with only one eye
Bob; wheres the highlight/shadow function? do you mean levels?
Mike; I like your crop, unfortunately I wanted this for an A3 print so would rather not crop anymore than I need, otherwise its going to look more like a Sparrowhawk than a Sparrow I did think It was too large in the frame as it was.
Having said all this I think George has hit the nail on the head and the biggest problem is going to be the eye
Will have to wait till I know were having a judge with only one eye
Posted 14/01/2011 - 09:56
Link
I hope you're OK on that boat, George.... it's not been a great winter for living aboard.
Re the shot, sometimes a shot is so good it's worth cheating. You might find 'Focus Magic' (a PS plug in) does a better job at making the eye area look 'in focus' as it works in a different way to USM - it 'actually reverses the formula by which the image got out of focus'. Or at least, it attempts to!
Re the shot, sometimes a shot is so good it's worth cheating. You might find 'Focus Magic' (a PS plug in) does a better job at making the eye area look 'in focus' as it works in a different way to USM - it 'actually reverses the formula by which the image got out of focus'. Or at least, it attempts to!
Posted 14/01/2011 - 11:27
Link
Mike-P wrote:
It's too soft.
Bob has made a good attempt but in doing so the back of the bird now looks oversharpened and has a slight halo. Maybe just some selective sharpening around the eye area?
Frogfish has got it about right imo.
+1 from me too.
It's too soft.
Bob has made a good attempt but in doing so the back of the bird now looks oversharpened and has a slight halo. Maybe just some selective sharpening around the eye area?
Frogfish has got it about right imo.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6378 posts
20 years
Leeds,
UK
Please dont bother with "nice shot" or "well done" etc, I know its a cracking good shot but I also feel it could be better.
[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/TreeSparrow2.jpg[/IMG]
My PPG link
My Flckr link