Hello from Waterdown, Ontario

Jimmy_Dean0

Link Posted 27/12/2009 - 18:47
Hello All,

I'm new to the PentaxUser community, and though not yet a Pentax user, I plan/hope to be in the near future. I am currently shooting with a Canon S5 IS, and while it is a lovely camera, I have been finding it lacking lately, particularly when shooting in low light, sans flash. I want to move up to a DSLR, but am having a heck of a time deciding what system to buy into.

After reading many reviews, looking at dozens of sample shots, and basically making myself crazy, I have narrowed it down to the Pentax K-x. Some of the key things I am looking for are:

- Quality equipment, and of course photographs, at a reasonable price
- Good low light performance (high ISO, with minimal noise)
- Good continuous shooting ability (I always seem to miss the perfect moment by just that little bit)
- The ability/opportunity to grow with the system (I'll never make a living at it, but I'd like to be able take quality photographs some day )

I have looked through the galleries here, and on the ePHOTOzine site, and now I REALLY realize how much I need to learn (and why I need a DSLR!). The shots that are posted are simply amazing! I hope I'll be able to provide some equally good content in time. I'll post a few that I have taken with the S5 so you can see the type of shooting I like.

I would appreciate any feedback/advice you may have to offer a future new DSLR user (I do have an old Minolta XG-1 film camera that I had used for many years, though I have not picked it up for a long time).

For the K-x owners/users out there, what are your real world experiences with shots taken at ISO 800, 1600, or 3200? What's the expected battery life using Sanyo Eneloops (or similar)? The S5 is not a legitimate comparison, but I can shoot ~400-450 images on a single charge, using live view, and I am perfectly happy with that. I expect it would be less with the K-x, but if I limit the use of Live View, could I expect similar results?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered, and apologies for the novel . I look forward to hearing your opinions and recomendations.

JD
Cheers - JD

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
-Ansel Adams

Mike Pearson

Link Posted 28/12/2009 - 03:01
Welcome Jimmy and hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

I'm just down the road in Hamilton.

Mike

Don

Link Posted 28/12/2009 - 03:06
Hi to both of you from winnipeg!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Jimmy_Dean0

Link Posted 28/12/2009 - 03:51
Thanks for the warm welcome Mike and Don. I'm looking forward to learning the ropes once I get my new camera, and meeting lots of fellow Pentax users on the forums.
Cheers - JD

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
-Ansel Adams

mr.mellow

Link Posted 28/12/2009 - 15:22
Hello Jimmy and welcome to the forum.
The older I get the faster I was.
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.

My Flickr link

Jimmy_Dean0

Link Posted 28/12/2009 - 20:46
Thanks Dave. Great collection on Flickr! .

Here's a link to some of the shots I have posted on Flickr. They were shot with a P&S, so I'm looking forward to improving on them once I have the K-x ...

Flickr - link
Cheers - JD

-Ansel Adams

goggalee

Link Posted 30/12/2009 - 05:44
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Pentax K10D, *istDS
Pentax 18-55mm,50-200mm,Macro 100mm
Takumar-A 28-80mm, Sigma 170-500mm, Soligor Teleconverter x2

Finally!! Sigma 10-20mm

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

http:/www.pentaxphotogallery.com/maliskaoosthuizen

JudithAnn

Link Posted 06/01/2010 - 09:27
Hi Jimmy and welcome to the forum.

I am from New Brunswick...but am right now in Northren Alberta for a month or so. Nice to see a new fellow Canadian...these UK-ers are the BEST...So do enjoy them!

I am the owner of the K-M...last years K-x Although I do understand that the K-x has a few added features, especially the live view and 16 focal point...ect The help button is just like carring your manual with you. The camera offers a lot of internal filters and special effects...I love using these features. It is a very easy and user freindly camera. I have learned so many fun and new things since I have owned mine...it will be a year in April.

One contest, that I entered,(not on this site), my picture was chosen as one of the best for 2009..and published in a book...The best photos of 2009...I think you will be pleased and even surprised at its abilities!

The K-m (without live view) will often shoot about 600+ pictures before I need to replace or recharge my battery, I have even gone beyond 700. I might add the I often do a lot of reviewing when taking pictures in the field...checking and trying new things. I find the ISO at an 800 plus, very pleasing. Of course that all depends on what you are shooting and the time of day or lighting condition ect...

Even though the K-m is at the lower end of the DSRL..it has performed like the big guns...K10...K20's, when it comes to the picture quality...take a look at my portfolio...having said that the K-m and K-x do not have the weather sealing, nor is it as heavy or large as the K10 or K20. The K-m only has a central focus ...but I do believe that I read the K-x has the sixteen point focus...

The beauty is with the K-x is that you can build your lens and flash to a higher quality....specialize in things like... Macro...movement...wide angle...landscape, and so on.....and of course, as you know, you can use any of the older pentax lens that you might already own!

Bottom line is that I love my K-m, and have not been disappointed with the sharpness, crispness, true colours, and speed, that this camera gives! And if the K-X is the new improved K-m...then I say go for it with confidance...because it is a wonderful camera in a small bundle.

If you do buy one...and then do not care for it...and want to sell it....FIND ME!!!!winklol::
https://www.jastandringphotos.com

Yollie

Link Posted 08/01/2010 - 15:22
Hi Jimmy

Welcome to the forum and i hope you get your new camera soon.

Regards
Yollie

imagesteve

Link Posted 08/01/2010 - 17:03
Howzit Jimmy! May your Kx be delivered sooner than expected. It is a mechanical work of art...
2x K10D bodies, 2x FA 28-200 3.8-5.6, DA 18-55, A 50 F2, 50mm Macro, 360 FGZ. Still saving for the 60-250 DA* Also have a Z10 35mm and a K1000 just for fun. IF PENTAX IS THE ANSWER, WHO CARES WHAT THE QUESTION IS...!
Quote:

RichardDay

Link Posted 08/01/2010 - 18:19
Hi Jimmy. Welcome and enjoy the forum!
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link

Greytop

Link Posted 08/01/2010 - 18:50
Welcome to the forum Jimmy
Regards Huw

flickr

Jimmy_Dean0

Link Posted 10/01/2010 - 23:13
Hello all, and thanks for the welcome . I got the K-x over the holidays, and picked up a Sigma 70-300 zoom on the weekend (thanks to all those who chimed in and shared their knowledge on lenses in my post). I am really happy I decided to go with Pentax, and the K-x in particular, and glad I joined this forum. I'm enjoying the gallery, and picking up lots of great ideas - you folks take some truly amazing photos! I hope I will be able to do as well one day . Lot's of practice to come (thank goodness I don't have to buy film and pay for developing and printing any more - I'd be in the poorhouse ).

All the best!

JD
Cheers - JD

-Ansel Adams

darlene

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 00:46
Hi and welcome to the forum
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.