Helios lens - does it work?

Pietrach
Posted 30/05/2011 - 14:25 Link
Hi
I have just got an old Zenit camera with helios lens on it.
I am waiting for the converter ring before I attach it onto my k100d, however, I have a suspicious that the aperture on the lens does not work. How can I check it? I set the zenit on Bulb, aperture on 16 and when I press the shutter I cannot see any aperture closing.
When I remove the lens and press the small steel rod (pin), nothing happens a well. Does it mean it does not work? Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.
Dangermouse
Posted 30/05/2011 - 15:26 Link
What happens if you set the aperture to f22 and do the same test?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Pietrach
Posted 30/05/2011 - 16:05 Link
The maximum aperture on this lens is f16. Any ideas?
womble
Posted 30/05/2011 - 16:41 Link
If the lens is set to its minimum aperture and you cannot see the aperture closing when you push in the small pin on the mount, it is broken. I don't know how easy it would be to take apart and repair.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Dangermouse
Posted 30/05/2011 - 16:51 Link
Sorry, I should have said the smallest aperture. This was f22 on the last lens I handled so it kind of stuck in my mind!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Pietrach
Posted 31/05/2011 - 07:04 Link
I removed few parts, unscrewed few screws, moved few parts, put it all back and it seems to work now, kind of. On the camera, it works occasionally or with a half a second delay, but when detached from the camera it reacts instantly to pressing the pin. Hope it will be ok on my k100d.
Thanks for all the advice.
Dangermouse
Posted 31/05/2011 - 07:11 Link
I'm not sure whether the Helios lens has an auto/manual switch, but the pin will be irrelevant on digital as DSLRs lack the paddle to press it with. I know with the Takumar lenses you switch to manual and use working aperture metering. Best suggestion I've heard so far was to use the switch in the same way as the meter switch on a Spotmatic - focus with the lens set to A (open aperture), then flick to M (stopping the lens down), meter and shoot.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Sandehalynch
Posted 31/05/2011 - 08:45 Link
If the iris works off-camera then you should be fine; your Zenit body can just stay on the shelf. I have a Helios 44M, and just as Dangermouse suggests, you can use the A/M switch to stop down or just use the ring in M mode.

Wonderfully sharp lens if you have a good one - sharp enough to leave open at f.2 the whole time so that you could shoot on Av rather than M on your K100D.

K10D, ISO 800, /30, Helios 44M at f.2
[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/Sandeha/swansea/IMGP3747_copy.jpg[/IMG]
Pietrach
Posted 31/05/2011 - 09:13 Link
Great, still not getting how to shoot with it on DSLR. I will ask more specific questions when I get the converter ring. Thanks.
Pietrach
Posted 01/06/2011 - 13:12 Link
Ok , as said before, I have my converter ring now, however, the lens does not have any switches on it, so if DSLR doesn't have a flap that would activate the aperture, then what will? I can change the aperture manually on the lens, but how do I actually close it?

Maybe if someone could describe the process of taking a photo with Helios lens to me, step by step? I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Dangermouse
Posted 01/06/2011 - 14:08 Link
You have to keep the pin pressed down. I've heard of people supergluing a small piece of an old CD (or similar thickness plastic) over the pin to hold it, but I've never handled this version of the Helios lens so can't offer much more help. I do have one, but it's the preset version which doesn't have a pin.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Sandehalynch
Posted 01/06/2011 - 14:44 Link
With an iris pin but no switch you possibly have the least comfortable version to use. I suspect you'll need to go back into the back of the lens and block the movement of the pin. That will allow you to use the diaphragm ring to change apertures.

Remember that you'll need to change one or two settings in the menu of your 100D to allow use of the ring on the lens, set the mode on the body to M, and hit the green button to set an appropriate shutter speed.

Alternatively, keep the lens for portraits at f.2.
Pietrach
Posted 01/06/2011 - 16:34 Link
Thanks for this, will have a got tonight.

Sandehalynch: no green button on k100d Would it work the way you described but on aperture priority? (I set the aperture manually on the lens, then select matching aperture on the camera, and it should automatically adjust the shutter)
MattMatic
Posted 01/06/2011 - 16:40 Link
K100D - use the AE-L button when in "M" exposure mode. See page 146 of the manual
See also page 188 about using the aperture ring - it mentions that for M mode "When depth of field is checked (Optical preview), AE Metering is switched on". So, presumably you have to meter by stopping down on the K100D?
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Algernon
Posted 01/06/2011 - 17:42 Link
It's a very simple fix with the Helios and fully reversible. You just need the insulation off a a piece of copper wire. Don't glue anything it could fall off and ruin your camera.

This is French, but the photos are easy to follow.
http://chris.stingray.free.fr/Tuto/Modif_H44M4/Pinoche_H44M-4.html
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo