Phoenix 28-210mm Lens

Corker2211

Link Posted 30/05/2011 - 18:54
A number of years ago I decided to buy a Pentax K100D DSLR. Since the Digital age of photography has arrived I've always wanted a DSLR instead of a Pentax K1000 35mm that I used for a few years before. The DSLR works real nice and have also purchased 3 different Lens's to use with it.

However, one of the Lens's that I have from my 35mm day's is a Phoenix 28-210mm Lens that always worked great with the Pentax K1000 35mm. Since the Phoenix does have a Pentax mount I can attach it to my K100D, but I have found out that it creates a problem when I go to use it on the DSLR.

Since the Phoenix does not have any "sensor" on the rear of the mount it does not function hardly at all with my DSLR. The Camera will always ask me on the preview screen what Focal Length to set it for. When I have the Phoenix Lens on, I never know what Focal Length to set it at. Most of the time the camera shutter will not work with this Lens attached. Sometimes it will . . . sometimes it won't. I have even tried to use it with the Manual setting, but it seems to work the same.

I just love this Wide Angle Phoenix Lens and wish that I could use it more. My question for all of you out there, is there any way that I can get this Lens to work on the Pentax K100D? When it works, the Phoenix takes a great Image. When I attach my Pentax 2X Doubler, the camera will not work at all.

If anyone out there has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I'll never get the Phoenix to work right and just keep it for my 35mm, which I really don't want to use.

Regards
Les
"Those who do nothing . . . make no mistakes in Life"

http://s404.Photobucket.com/home/Corker2/index

I'm just full of questions . . . It's the only way I learn anything! I have so, so, much to learn using my Pentax K100D DSLR

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/05/2011 - 22:12
Unless the lens has an "A" setting on the aperture ring then you need to go into the DSLR menus and find the custom setting relating to aperture ring. Set this to "allow" (or "permitted", not 100% sure of the exact wording) and you'll be able to fire the shutter with this lens. You also need to look up how to do stop-down metering in Manual mode with your DSLR, as thanks to changes in the lens mount the camera can no longer read back the aperture by the position of the aperture ring for metering purposes.

Bear in mind that 28mm is not a wide angle lens on Pentax DSLRs due to the crop factor (the sensor is smaller than a film frame), it's roughly equivalent to a 42mm lens on a film camera when this is taken into account.

I can't really suggest what to set the shake reduction to (this is why it asks for focal length when switched on), I tend to keep my handful of manual zooms on the film bodies as the SR business makes them too fiddly on digital. I do use older primes on digital though.

If you want a really nice 28mm lens for digital (they make good standard walkabout lenses) then look for the SMC Pentax (or SMC Pentax-M) 28mm f3.5. The former is sharper at f3.5 but rarer, they're about equal when stopped down to f8. Both are manual focus and will need stop-down metering, but they're pretty much focus free at f8 or so.

If more money is available then look at the new Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, brilliant lens which takes up very little space and weighs next to nothing.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Last Edited by Dangermouse on 30/05/2011 - 22:15

Helpful

womble

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 01:40
Just one addition to that advice. Assuming your camera works the same way as my K20D, the shutter won't fire if you have the camera body on AF and the image is out of focus. Make sure you have set the camera to MF and it should fire no matter how out of focus it thinks you are.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Helpful

Corker2211

Link Posted 01/06/2011 - 12:53
I'm sorry that it took me a bit to respond to your comments and help that were read and looked into.

I attached the Phoenix Lens to the Camera and then went into the Camera settings. I think that I've gotten the Lens to work well now thanks to all who answered my question. It still will ask me what Focal Length to use, so I set it to 8. Seems to work well, so far. Now, I'm going to try and use the same Lens with a Polorizer Filter on it and see if that changes anything. I'll try shooting with the Lens at normal position, and then zoom out to full extension of 210mm and see what happens. Then I'm going to try and install the Pentax 2X Doubler and see if it still works and the shutter will fire.

Like I had stated before, I just love this Lens. It is an all around nice Lens for a "walk about". With your help and advice I just may get this Lens to work all the time. Again, I appreciated what you've told me. It has helped so far.

I'm just full of questions . . . It's the only way I learn anything! I have so, so, much to learn using my Pentax K100D DSLR

Dangermouse

Link Posted 01/06/2011 - 14:22
You need to set it to something between 28mm and 210mm - 8mm is a fisheye which would require much less effort to stabilise than a longer lens.

Pentax made a 28-200mm in the FA series (I believe it was made by Tamron who also made their own version, but the Pentax has SMC coatings and Pentax electronics) which has decent reviews, might be worth looking for one if the focal range appeals. You'll get AF and won't have to fiddle about with shake reduction that way as the lens' internal chip will tell the camera what length to set.

In all honesty you're going to be horrified by the results when you put the teleconverter into the mix. TCs in general do not have a good reputation on digital (I had one which was actually worse than cropped images taken with the same lens!)
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Corker2211

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 02:27
So far, using the suggestion that both "Womble & Danger Mouse" have made the Phoenix Lens has worked without fail. I went into the Menu and changed 2 different things, shut off the Shake Reduction Button, and shot some Images using the Manual Mode & Auto Mode. Both worked good. The next thing I tried was to put my Polorizer on to see if it made any difference. It didn't. So far, so good.

The next thing to do is try and use my Doubler and see how that works. Before, I had attached the Doubler, and the Camera Shutter would not fire at all. However, when I use a Doubler with my other lens's it works just fine. Since, I have a very limited budget for Camera equipment I can't really afford to purchase those fancy Pentax Lens's that can reach out 3 or 600mm. I have too work with what I have. The Doubler gives me more extension for my Lens's, thus letting me zoom in closer to my subject. I have noticed no real difference in the Image that I take. Of course when extending out that far, I use my Tripod. Any slight movement will blur the Image, as you well know.

Les

Corker2211

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 23:46
OMG! I can't believe this! For the first time in years I've gotten my Phoenix 28-210mm Lens to work without fail!

As I mentioned in my previous Post I installed my Pentax 2X Doubler to the Phoenix Lens just to see if the shutter would fire. Again, it did! Now, I can use this Lens that I just love and not have to worry if it will work or not!

However, there was one thing that I noticed. When using the 2X Doubler with my Phoenix Lens I have to change over to the Manual mode and set the Aperture setting so more light comes thru the Lens. I tried different Aperture settings and the camera shutter still fired without fail.

Now, all I have to do is go for a "walk about" and see how it works using a real subject to photograph, instead of all the Homes that are near-by. I'm going to go "out there" and use this Lens more & more.

Again, THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for responding to my question. You have made a big difference for me. It has been greatly appreciated.

Les

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.