Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

hands on kp @ srs

richandfleur
Posted 13/02/2017 - 21:29 Link
JAK wrote:
You really wouldn't want a touch screen unless it can be turned off, so there is no point in having it in the first place. A touch screen only device (AKA a mobile phone) is already available for those that prefer it complete with video capabilities. Can you imagine a Pentax camera being yet another Android phone which appears to be your wish?
Just imagine having to go into touch screen menus before you take a photo or video to set up various options. A Spotmatic would be many times faster to use and produce better results with a nice new roll of Ektachrome.

A touch melodramatic there...

I could see a touchscreen being good for menus, and especially for photo reviewing on the rear screen. I've heard good things about using the touchscreen for focus point selection also. No reason why it can't be turned off, or used for just selected tasks. Pentax have always been pretty good at allowing users to customise the buttons etc, so I'd expect they'd be able to implement this well. Wouldn't have to replace physical buttons either, so you'd chose.

How do you mount your different lenses to your mobile phone?
That type of response to video is really common, and I think it stems from handicams and endless hours of holiday video etc. Just because a cellphone can take video, doesn't mean it's a viable replacement for DSLR video. Just as a cellphone is likely not a replacement for your DSLR stills...
MrB
Posted 14/02/2017 - 11:11 Link
richandfleur wrote:

I meant both. No reason why a camera couldn't have two separate viewfinders.
Not saying it's particularly smart or sensible mind

If it were possible, it might be good to have both in one hybrid viewfinder, to be able switch between (or combine) the OVF view and EVF view at the press of a button, without taking the camera from the eye, e.g. to check exposure or focus peaking.

Cheers.
Philip
Posted 14/02/2017 - 17:40 Link
I think the xpro one has such a device.
Posted 14/02/2017 - 17:41 Link
Sorry the xpro`. One may have a hybrid viewfinder
stu62
Posted 14/02/2017 - 19:58 Link
you dont want touch screen it dont work when it gets wet
richandfleur
Posted 14/02/2017 - 23:46 Link
stu62 wrote:

Don't rule something out because 5% of the time it won't work, and there are still buttons available as a backup/alternative...
stu62
Posted 15/02/2017 - 05:32 Link
richandfleur wrote:
stu62 wrote:

Don't rule something out because 5% of the time it won't work, and there are still buttons available as a backup/alternative...

if you go down the race track what you see canon and nikon users with ther cameras in plastic bags trying to keep them dry the only people that you see with there cameras out in that sort of weather are pentax users

you try using a smart phone in the wet and you have damp hands as well its dam near imposible
richandfleur
Posted 15/02/2017 - 08:07 Link
I didn't say otherwise, but your Pentax would still have buttons. Adding touchscreen capabilities doesn't mean those physical buttons have to disappear.
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 15/02/2017 - 10:06 Link
5% of the time,
we get a lot more rain than that
richandfleur
Posted 15/02/2017 - 18:37 Link
whatsthisbuttondo wrote:
5% of the time,
we get a lot more rain than that

Then you'll be using the buttons more often to adjust menu items and zoom in and out of pictures to review.
stu62
Posted 15/02/2017 - 19:24 Link
Why do you need to review the photos while you are reviewing the photo you are missing what could be happening in front of you
richandfleur
Posted 15/02/2017 - 19:37 Link
stu62 wrote:
Why do you need to review the photos while you are reviewing the photo you are missing what could be happening in front of you

I learned the hard way that I should have done this for a group photo shoot, where my Pentax had locked on to the trees behind the group, and not their faces.

Reviewing more in the field would have helped, substantially

Bottom line, like every other feature on your Pentax, you don't have to use it. I never use the HDR on camera for example, but I don't mind it being there if it's of use to others. My crappy android phone from 2010 has a 3.2" touchscreen, wifi and GPS and cost bugger all even back then. These things don't need to cost a lot of money, and if implemented sensibly can supplement, and not replace, the physical buttons, wheels and switches that exist presently.
jules
Posted 22/02/2017 - 06:03 Link
K3 II is the last "cheap" Pentax for a while, snap em up while you can guys!
I'm in a strange boat myself on this now. I won't pay £1400 for APSC (Fuji X-T2 and my conjectured price for K3 MkIII, slap bang in the middle between Kp and K1). Likewise I won't pay £800 for a body that aint weather sealed (Fuji X-T20), so it's a toss between a heavily discounted K3 II or the Kp, (I won't have a Canikon thrown at me!) if Chris gets any kind of launch deal on the Kp the answer will become clearer as it is probably enough camera for me. if not I may end up saving for a K1 and a new back!
I hate to say this to you guys but you may be getting me back!
Only be for a little while though, eh Mike?
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 22/02/2017 - 06:06
RobL
Posted 22/02/2017 - 07:55 Link
jules wrote:
K3 II is the last "cheap" Pentax for a while, snap em up while you can guys!
I'm in a strange boat myself on this now. I won't pay £1400 for APSC (Fuji X-T2 and my conjectured price for K3 MkIII, slap bang in the middle between Kp and K1). Likewise I won't pay £800 for a body that aint weather sealed (Fuji X-T20), so it's a toss between a heavily discounted K3 II or the Kp, (I won't have a Canikon thrown at me!) if Chris gets any kind of launch deal on the Kp the answer will become clearer as it is probably enough camera for me. if not I may end up saving for a K1 and a new back!
I hate to say this to you guys but you may be getting me back!
Only be for a little while though, eh Mike?

Have you ruled out the K70 which is within this price range?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.