Grass Miniatures
Posted 10/05/2017 - 07:41
Link
Really nice shots Nigel,
Love the quality of the lighting. Your focusing is bang on and as we have all come to expect from you the lighting is too.
Just lovely
I would like to see some bug shots from you, to see what can be achieved by someone who knows how to use flash properly.
You said you shot yours at 180th, when shooting macro I don't seem to have a 180th option. It will go from 160th to 200th and of course won't fire at 200th so I'm left shooting at 160th.
Any thoughts. As ever, shooting in manual.
Love the quality of the lighting. Your focusing is bang on and as we have all come to expect from you the lighting is too.
Just lovely
I would like to see some bug shots from you, to see what can be achieved by someone who knows how to use flash properly.
You said you shot yours at 180th, when shooting macro I don't seem to have a 180th option. It will go from 160th to 200th and of course won't fire at 200th so I'm left shooting at 160th.
Any thoughts. As ever, shooting in manual.
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 10/05/2017 - 07:59
Link
Lovely soft light on these Nigel. Really brings out the detail where it counts.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 10/05/2017 - 08:46
Link
Thanks Derek and Peter.
Derek, it's the camera custom setting for EV steps ..... This needs to be set to 1/2 ev steps I believe, then you can get 1/180th.
The lighting is going to be quite different to a ringflash and diffuser around the lens..... With a softbox of 60x60 cm this light source is about 300 times bigger than my subjects here, so softness is guaranteed!
The box is placed at 90deg off from the shooting angle, so it's an all enveloping light, but strongly directional, giving the shape and 'modelling' effect going from right to left across the subject.
I very much doubt I would be able to get the closeness and steadiness with bugs that you can Derek! Even a bit of a wind gust sends me into a panic and the softbox flying !
Derek, it's the camera custom setting for EV steps ..... This needs to be set to 1/2 ev steps I believe, then you can get 1/180th.
The lighting is going to be quite different to a ringflash and diffuser around the lens..... With a softbox of 60x60 cm this light source is about 300 times bigger than my subjects here, so softness is guaranteed!
The box is placed at 90deg off from the shooting angle, so it's an all enveloping light, but strongly directional, giving the shape and 'modelling' effect going from right to left across the subject.
I very much doubt I would be able to get the closeness and steadiness with bugs that you can Derek! Even a bit of a wind gust sends me into a panic and the softbox flying !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 10/05/2017 - 08:53
Link
Very impressive. I particularly enjoy the lighting and detail in the second one.
Regards, Philip
Posted 10/05/2017 - 10:03
Link
Ahh the joys of hand held shooting in the breeze with a dof that's in the region of 5mm.
Its fairly obvious, the benefits of off camera flash even for this type of shooting, as the ringflash is just front on, so no option for real directional light.
Thanks for the ev steps thing. Will try it when I'm back home.
2nd one for me too
Colours, detail and comp, came together on this one.
Its fairly obvious, the benefits of off camera flash even for this type of shooting, as the ringflash is just front on, so no option for real directional light.
Thanks for the ev steps thing. Will try it when I'm back home.
2nd one for me too
Colours, detail and comp, came together on this one.
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 10/05/2017 - 10:11
Link
I love them all..stunning shots expertly taken.
Must start learning to use my flash more
Must start learning to use my flash more
regards
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Posted 10/05/2017 - 10:43
Link
A very underrated camera the K7... And the capability of the tog isnt too bad either.....Well done Nigel.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 10/05/2017 - 11:17
Link
Excellent shots Nigel...the sharpness in No. 2 is stunning.
I have to say, using off the camera flash with your setup for macros is not something I would have thought of really...almost more of a reason to consider buying some external flash than for portraits.
cheers
Karlo
I have to say, using off the camera flash with your setup for macros is not something I would have thought of really...almost more of a reason to consider buying some external flash than for portraits.
cheers
Karlo
Posted 10/05/2017 - 12:58
Link
Great images, Nigel - the d.o.f. effect makes the flowers really pop out from the background. Several members at the local club produce good flower shots in artificial light but often in front of a black background - I much prefer to see them in their o-o-f natural environment as you have presented them here.
Thank you.
Philip
Thank you.
Philip
Posted 10/05/2017 - 13:22
Link
Great work Nigel - I love the amount of detail in no 2 - fantastic!
Andy
Posted 10/05/2017 - 17:12
Link

alfpics wrote:
Great work Nigel - I love the amount of detail in no 2 - fantastic!
Thank you Andy, and also to the others who have posted here, much appreciated. There's been some really interesting points and I'd like to respond to them later with more time, but for now I've got some quick shots showing the set-up and layout of the gear. I've put the camera in approximately the right position in relation to the softbox and one of the tiny flowers....(I was lying on the ground myself looking through the viewfinder).Great work Nigel - I love the amount of detail in no 2 - fantastic!




My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 10/05/2017 - 17:18
Link
Very informative and the outcome is just lovely!
Posted 10/05/2017 - 21:54
Link
The second image is the stand-out Nigel, both from a detail and composition point of view.
We really must try to get you interested in the bugs, I think you might treat us with some excellent images!
Regards
David
We really must try to get you interested in the bugs, I think you might treat us with some excellent images!
Regards
David
Posted 10/05/2017 - 22:08
Link
The lighting and DOF on both is spot on, really good
Keep and eye on the backgrounds and don't be afraid to do some gardening in the shot to remove anything that will detract the eye away from the point of interest in the frame
Keep and eye on the backgrounds and don't be afraid to do some gardening in the shot to remove anything that will detract the eye away from the point of interest in the frame
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


5986 posts
14 years
Surrey,
England
On the K7 I attached 2 basic extension tubes (no contacts), 13 + 23mm, and then the Tamron Adaptall 135mm F2.8. This old lens from the 1970s has a Manual aperture switch to allow manual stop down, and I set apertures around F11 - F16. This was all handheld working, so there was no way that I was going to get enough steadiness with natural light at those sorts of apertures, so I used a Cactus RF60 flash in a softbox on the ground just to the right of the frame, triggered by the V6 radio trigger. I used ISO 200 and 1/180th sec .....
Thanks for looking.... the biggest challenge with this sort of approach is focussing, as its very dark in the viewfinder and you don't want to move from the moment when focussing is achieved and the capture.
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver