Grandfather - R.I.P

bychan
Posted 21/01/2011 - 20:59 Link
Apologies for a short life story, but here goes..

I've lived with my grandparents all my life, at one stage it was a busy household what with my mother, her sister, my cousin.

Following my gran's passing 13 years ago, it was only me and my grandafather (Wilfred), remaining. Sadly today, after a brief illness, he passed away aged 86.

Born a true Cockney in Bow, East London, he qualified as a Welshman having resided in Trefor for over 80 years

He served on the Arctic Convoys with the Royal Navy during the War, and also worked in the old granite quarry in Trefor.

Here's one of the last pictures I took of him, in August of last year, sitting on his invalidity scooter (or as he called it, his bike).
To quench the thirst a cold one and a rum chaser

Comment Image


He will be greatly missed.

Regards
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
bforbes
Posted 21/01/2011 - 21:02 Link
He looks as if he enjoyed life to the full. Sorry for your loss.
Gwyn
Posted 21/01/2011 - 21:03 Link
My condolences Adrian. It is hard losing a grandparent, but in your case it must be so much harder.

He sounds like he was a very special man, who enjoyed life.

May you have the strength to get through the difficult days ahead.

He lives on in you and all those who remember him.
womble
Posted 21/01/2011 - 21:05 Link
Sorry for your loss. My father was in the Navy too and also drank rum chasers! What ship did your grandfather serve on? He looks like he knew how to have fun.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
sandinista
Posted 21/01/2011 - 21:09 Link
He looks like a man happy with himself and his life and a real character to boot.

My condolences to you at your difficult time.
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

Gear Not enough!!
PPG
Flickr
My not so new website
coker
Posted 21/01/2011 - 23:05 Link
Adrian,
Treasure those memories & keep Wilfred safe in them.

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
SmutjeUK
Posted 22/01/2011 - 00:05 Link
I am truly sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.
Memories are there to be cherished and I be sure you will.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
pentaxian450
Posted 22/01/2011 - 00:56 Link
I'm sorry for your loss. Try to remember the good time. It's what keep us going.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
bychan
Posted 22/01/2011 - 02:00 Link
Thank you all for your kind words, all greatly appreciated.

Kris, we have an old photo of my grandfather dated 1943, on which he has written down HMS Zephyr.

Thanks again.
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
Smeggypants
Posted 22/01/2011 - 02:34 Link
condolences fella. Thanks for posting the pic. It's lovely to someone in their latter years enjoying themselves. We've all gotta go at some point. I hope I'm enjoying a beer at 86
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
i-Berg
Posted 22/01/2011 - 03:38 Link
Sorry to hear Adrian - vale.
Frogfish
Posted 22/01/2011 - 05:34 Link
Lovely happy/sad story Adrian.

Cherish those memories, it sounds like your grandfather lived life to the full and enjoyed it - none of us can ask for more than that.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
techno-terminator
Posted 22/01/2011 - 09:27 Link
I should not have looked at this thread but I did.

You have some wonderful memories of your Grandfather - treasure them as I'm sure you will.

Eternal memory
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
CoDa
Posted 22/01/2011 - 14:48 Link
Photographs make memories, memories last forever.

My sincere condolences on your sad loss.

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)


[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
darkskies
Posted 22/01/2011 - 21:29 Link
Hi Adrian,

I, too, didn't want to look at this thread for what I feared may lie within. Now I'm glad I did.

Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss.

But the reason I'm glad I looked is because my father was also on the Russian (Arctic) Convoys. From all reports, it was a terrible experience. He has always spoken of how the waves used to hit the decks as ice.

My father is still alive at the tender age of 91, and my mother at 88. Both doing quite well. With your loss, I can only imagine what may well lie in store for me in the next few years.

Celebrate the life.

Cheers,

ds

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo