St James Park

davidtrout
Posted 19/01/2011 - 23:02 Link
Gallowgate, St James Park.
[IMG]http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/Davidtrout2/StJamesPark001.jpg[/IMG]

Stand reflections
[IMG]http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/Davidtrout2/StJamesPark002.jpg[/IMG]

Stand structure
[IMG]http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/Davidtrout2/StJamesPark003.jpg[/IMG]
More from my shoot around Newcastle United's St James Park a few days ago, using the Sigma 10-20mm lens on a K5.
Edited by davidtrout: 19/01/2011 - 23:05
Father Ted
Posted 20/01/2011 - 09:18 Link
I like number 3 a lot.
Number 1 doesn't do much for me, but I find the aircraft trail a little distracting.
Number 2...can't make my mind up. My first reaction was "It's not straight". However, I don't think straight would look right, so my next thought was "It's too straight"! Maybe I just haven't woken up yet
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
davidtrout
Posted 20/01/2011 - 09:41 Link
I'm with you on No. 2 Ted. I keep thinking it's too straight. As for the jet trail in No. 1, I wanted it to be bigger and more obvious, but that's what you get when you shoot wide angle. No. 3 is my favourite too.
Thanks for your comment.
Gareth, these modern sports stadia all seem to look the same so I can see the resemblance to Cardiff. The black and white treatment of No. 3 seems appropriate considering the team colours of NUFC.
David
Edited by davidtrout: 20/01/2011 - 09:44
Blythman
Posted 20/01/2011 - 10:00 Link
I quite like No. 3 David, although the one you posted previously is the pick of them, IMO (Steps of the Pilgrims?). But that might be because it tugs at the heart strings
Alan


PPG
Flickr
alfpics
Posted 20/01/2011 - 13:06 Link
Is that a person in no 1 on a ledge high up?
Andy
Andy
davidtrout
Posted 20/01/2011 - 14:21 Link
alfpics wrote:
Is that a person in no 1 on a ledge high up?
Andy
Yes Andy. I think he was a window cleaner. I would have got in closer for a picture but only had the 10-20mm lens with me as I prefer to do my city centre photography travelling light with just one lens and one camera body. Another time I might have had the DA*50-135mm with me.
David
thoughton
Posted 22/01/2011 - 01:09 Link
It's a toughie, but I think number 1 works best for me David. I do wish the club emblem wasn't in the shadows though, and the building on the left looks a little curved.

I like the processing in 3, but the crop feels a little tight especially at the top.

Number 2 doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 22/01/2011 - 01:10
Frogfish
Posted 22/01/2011 - 06:17 Link
davidtrout wrote:
alfpics wrote:
Is that a person in no 1 on a ledge high up?
Andy
Yes Andy. I think he was a window cleaner. I would have got in closer for a picture but only had the 10-20mm lens with me as I prefer to do my city centre photography travelling light with just one lens and one camera body. Another time I might have had the DA*50-135mm with me.
David
I use a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW (you could go for the 100 if you want really small) for walking around like that. It's perfect - takes camera and up to four lenses but with just one or two extra you don't even know it's there and you can just 'sling' it around for a quick change if you need too. Couple of extra pockets for bits and pieces - add the bottle accessary pocket if you want to carry water as well. No I don't work for LowePro !

Number 2 works best for me - very nice abstract indeed.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Edited by Frogfish: 22/01/2011 - 06:17
i-Berg
Posted 22/01/2011 - 07:21 Link
The starkness and the lines work for me in No 3. It's good.
davidtrout
Posted 22/01/2011 - 21:24 Link
Frogfish wrote
[quote:[/quote]I use a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW (you could go for the 100 if you want really small) for walking around like that. It's perfect - takes camera and up to four lenses but with just one or two extra you don't even know it's there and you can just 'sling' it around for a quick change if you need too. Couple of extra pockets for bits and pieces - add the bottle accessary pocket if you want to carry water as well. No I don't work for LowePro !

[/quote]Thanks for that FF but it's a deliberate choice to travel light for street photgraphy. One camera, one lens and nothing else to clutter me up. I use a camera bag with more gear in it at other times.
David
Edited by davidtrout: 22/01/2011 - 21:25
bwlchmawr
Posted 23/01/2011 - 07:09 Link
Definitely number 3, David. It had real strength and structure. No. 2 is interesting but a bit "busy", almost too many reflections. No.1 is rather awkward and clumsy, to my mind. All technically proficient, though.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo