Gimp

ShepProudfoot

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 13:57
Hello,

I've been messing around with Gimp for the first time today, and I'm amazed at the difference the Unsharp Mask filter makes.

I've only tried it on jpegs I've already tweaked slightly with Picasa, but every one I've tried has shown improvement after Unsharp Mask filter.

The auto white balance improved the majority of them also.

Any other Gimp functions I should be trying, as there seems to be alot of options?

Cheers,

Neil
Pentax K-R, DA35mm f2.4, DA 16-45mm f4 and DA L 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6

R o b

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 16:31
Layers->Colours->Curves is another handy thing for tweaking images. It can be used to improve the contrast of the things that matter in the photo slightly, at the expense of the things that don't.

Straightening, cropping, curves and unsharp mask are the things I use most often. It's easy to overdo unsharp mask though, so I usually turn the controls down until it isn't really making much of a difference in the preview, then turn them back up a little bit.

Oh, and the cloning brush too, that can be very handy.

Robert.

Helpful

AuraTodd

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 18:11

moose

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 19:28
It is daunting to start with, but then so is photoshop. With a few tutorials or a good book it is not so bad and certainly a great package for free.

Helpful

dougf8

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 21:47
High pass filter, good for non-destructive sharpening, needs adding to the program. (it did in 2.6) http://registry.gimp.org/node/103

Create a duplicate layer.
Desaturate
Perform high pass filter.
Change to overlay
Lurking is shirking.!

Helpful

ShepProudfoot

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 00:21
Yes R O B tried the curves thing, like it.

dougf8, I'll try that tomorrow, sounds slightly easier than other guides I read about.

Sounds like it does enough to keep me busy and away Photoshop etc for a long time.

Picasa is hard to beat for alignment though.

Cheers,

Neil

AuraTodd

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 09:18
moose wrote:
It is daunting to start with, but then so is photoshop. With a few tutorials or a good book it is not so bad and certainly a great package for free.

Thanks, can Gimp automatically fix photo's for you etc. Where can I download it please?
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 11:05
AuraTodd wrote:
moose wrote:

Thanks, can Gimp automatically fix photo's for you etc. Where can I download it please?

You might not find Gimp quite as user-friendly as Photoshop...

Personally, I find both a little too much (I have elements but rarely use it) and prefer Lightroom... Much easier to use and does most of what I need...

That said there's a learning curve that comes with any new software and like the rest of photography requires some (if not constant) practice...

There's a free open_source version of Lightroom called 'DarkTable' but I believe you'd need to be running a Linux based operating system rather than Windows...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

ShepProudfoot

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 12:55
I read that one of GIMP's great strengths is the lack of processing power it requires, compared to the others.

I have it running OK on a XP netbook (I can hear the gasps of horror)!

Neil

AuraTodd

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 16:57
Is Fast Stone better then Gimp?
Always be kind to people

link

link

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 18:30
AuraTodd wrote:
Is Fast Stone better then Gimp?

Personally I found Picasa to be better and easier to use... But Lightroom is better than both...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

dougf8

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 18:46
DaveHolmes wrote:
Personally I found Picasa to be better and easier to use... But Lightroom is better than both...

Lightroom is better in some areas than both however it is infinitely more expensive than both!
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 09/03/2013 - 18:46

michaelblue

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 18:50
I tried Picasa but found it very confusing, I've not used Gimp. Fast Stone for me is a very good choice for 'first time' photo editing, making slideshows, resizing and organising your photos.
I suppose the only way is to try them and see which suits you best and since they're free you have nothing to lose and only experience to gain.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

AuraTodd

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 18:52
michaelblue wrote:
I tried Picasa but found it very confusing, I've not used Gimp. Fast Stone for me is a very good choice for 'first time' photo editing, making slideshows, resizing and organising your photos.
I suppose the only way is to try them and see which suits you best and since they're free you have nothing to lose and only experience to gain.

Hi does Fast Stone automatically correct pictures etc?
Always be kind to people

link

link

michaelblue

Link Posted 09/03/2013 - 19:01
It has an auto colour correct feature but to be honest it is pretty simple to use all the features. A play around with it for an hour and you would learn most of the basic features. It also has a good 'Help' menu.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.