Getting upset with Pentax

MattMatic

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 03:56
FWIW, my DA17-70 wouldn't focus at the long end - it would hunt around trying to find a lock and not get one. It worked at the wide end though...

...but that was because it had been hit on the end while extended, and crunched the internal zoom mechanism, and de-aligned it all No visible damage - I could have been unscrupulous and auctioned the lens off

The SDM did not fail though - the focus ring moved easily and quickly enough, but still wouldn't focus even though the image looked ok inside the viewfinder. Something in the impact and alignment must have thrown off the AF phase detection.

Once fixed by JP/Pentax - all is good again, and I'm being a little more careful!

Shame about the OP. I have the DA17-70 and DA*50-135 and both have been superb for me in all respects.

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 05/03/2011 - 03:59

KZ

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 06:04
Cormudgeon wrote:
I too use the da 16 -50 lens. My experience is that it is a good lens except for the SDM. I have had to have mine serviced twice now as the autofocus will become erratic or stop working altogether. The problem each time was the SDM which was replaced.

I did not have any sdm failing problem with my 16-50. My problem was its value for money. It is weather proof, OK. Itís sdm is silent, OK. But what really does matter is IQ. The distortion of the lens is terrible high at the wide end, itís rather soft at 2.8, CA is visible, its AF speed is not speed at all and simple the lens is too expensive to these weaknesses. IMHO either the 16-45, or the Tammy 17-50 gives far more bung for buck. (The lens is available at Tokina with C/N mount /without sdm and water proofing/. I have seen lots of C/N user with the Tammy 17-50, but never with the Tokina 16-50.)
Last Edited by KZ on 05/03/2011 - 06:04

George Lazarette

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 07:57
I suspect you may have a faulty example.

My 16-50 was fast and optically excellent. But there are other lenses that are nearly as good, and you have to really want weather sealing and f2.8 in order to justify the price premium.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 08:19
I have had some issues with my DA17-70 along the lines of those mentioned above. Focus lock on my copy at the longer end is a bit hit or miss - though only in low light, and not always even then. However, I read somewhere (can't recall where) that this was a result of the very short (is this the correct adjective?) focus throw, and that the way to get around it was to apply very gentle pressure to the focus ring when trying to lock focus. Bingo. It works a treat.

The 17-70's a very underrated lens IMO - one hears much more about the 16-45 & 16-50 and the Tamron. While it doesn't have the f2.8, the weather sealing of the DA*, or quite the sharpness of the Tammy, my copy performs pretty damn well throughout its' range (which is also usefully 20mm longer). The worst thing about it is probably the barrel distortion - but this is a minor gripe and generally easily corrected.
Mhuni

500px

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 13:47
Dr. Mhuni wrote:
I read somewhere (can't recall where) that this was a result of the very short (is this the correct adjective?) focus throw, and that the way to get around it was to apply very gentle pressure to the focus ring when trying to lock focus. Bingo. It works a treat.

I did try that and it worked but why should we have to do such a thing everytime we use the lens .. especially considering its price.

Also I was a bit concerened about stopping the ring mid focus .. who knows what damage it may do over time (if any).
. My Flickr

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 15:51
Mike - you're right, of course, that you shouldn't have to do this with a lens. And I take your point about concern re. messing up the focusing, though the pressure required with mine is so slight - my finger just needs to very lightly touch the ring - that I don't think this is an issue. Also, I don't find the focusing to be problematic too much with my copy. Still, what this thread does seem to indicate is that the 17-70 is another SDM lens with some issues, if less serious than earlier ones.
Mhuni

500px
Last Edited by Dr. Mhuni on 05/03/2011 - 15:56

K10D

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 16:24
I spoke to the CR Kennedy (Pentax Australia) service manager on Friday asking about my 16-50SDM. They still have it. It will go to Pentax, Japan for repair when they have enough to send to justify postage! He said another two months minimum before we know if its done.

Anyone using Pentax in Australia for professional use either needs a duplicate system or a different system. No in country support for repair. I speak out of term, there may be a third party company here doing repairs-shame on Pentax.

I'm using the Sigma 17-50 at the moment.

I wonder if the next Pentax body will be classed as professional? God help anyone over here if they need support.

Best regards

techno-terminator

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 16:31
How long have CR Kennedy had your lens ?

And they reckon another 2 months before they have enough to send it in one parcel .

I would have thought a letter to Pentax themselves by now would be reasonable .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

KZ

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 19:45
K10D wrote:
I spoke to the CR Kennedy (Pentax Australia) service manager on Friday asking about my 16-50SDM. They still have it. It will go to Pentax, Japan for repair when they have enough to send to justify postage! He said another two months minimum before we know if its done.

Anyone using Pentax in Australia for professional use either needs a duplicate system or a different system. No in country support for repair. I speak out of term, there may be a third party company here doing repairs-shame on Pentax.

I'm using the Sigma 17-50 at the moment.

I wonder if the next Pentax body will be classed as professional? God help anyone over here if they need support.

Best regards

In Hungary if you buy from a reputable delaer and there is any fault during the warranty period and the dealer is not able to have it repaired within 4 weeks you are offered some kind of temporary replacement. It is not in the law, itís just a usual practice of reputable delaers. My Tamron faulted a bit more than a month ago. I took it back to the dealer, but 4 weeks later it was still under repair (as far as I know in Germany), so on Monday I got a temporary replacement lens free. Guess what, a Sigma. Must admit, iím very happy because i have a chance to try a lens have never used before.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 05/03/2011 - 20:57
Mike-P wrote:
Anvh wrote:

But yeah it's only the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135, the DA17-70, DA*60-250, DA*55, DA*200 and DA*300 doesn't seem to have much problems with SDM, at least never heard of one except dirty contacts.

The 17-70mm is starting to build itself a bit of a reputation as a SDM problem lens. I recently bought one off Ebay and couldn't get the thing to AF on anything using the 50-70mm range .. it just wouldn't lock.

Did a bit of searching and it seems to be a known problem with some of the lenses.

Interesting, I've used a Bigma which can't generally lock focus at the 500mm end. I put it down to the combination of f6.3, Welsh winter light, and the K-m presumably using quite an old AF system.

I have been advised to try leaving the lens hood off but couldn't really see how that would improve matters - focus is via the light reflected from the subject and surely the hood makes little difference to that?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

K10D

Link Posted 06/03/2011 - 01:53
techno-terminator wrote:
How long have CR Kennedy had your lens ?

And they reckon another 2 months before they have enough to send it in one parcel .

I would have thought a letter to Pentax themselves by now would be reasonable .

Since January 22nd.

KZ wrote:
In Hungary if you buy from a reputable delaer and there is any fault during the warranty period and the dealer is not able to have it repaired within 4 weeks you are offered some kind of temporary replacement. It is not in the law, itís just a usual practice of reputable delaers. My Tamron faulted a bit more than a month ago. I took it back to the dealer, but 4 weeks later it was still under repair (as far as I know in Germany), so on Monday I got a temporary replacement lens free. Guess what, a Sigma. Must admit, iím very happy because i have a chance to try a lens have never used before.

I bought the lens in the USA in Feb 2008 for $650 from B&H. Odd that it's only $750 now! (Pentax lens price increase??????) So no warranty and it was not a lens failure, I did the damage.

CR Kennedy are the official importer for Pentax as well as Sigma, Hassled & Bladdered plus many other marks.

Best regards
Last Edited by K10D on 06/03/2011 - 01:54

Anvh

Link Posted 06/03/2011 - 21:35
K10D wrote:

I think you can say the 645D is a pro camera or not?

I had a talk with the representatives of pentax in the Netherlands and they said that professionals where threaded faster and that they are working on a program for them because of the 645D.
So far I haven't hear good things about them but if i'm having problems i will surely write to them that i need the camera for my work in the hope that will help
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 06/03/2011 - 21:38

whelmed

Link Posted 08/03/2011 - 13:36
I'm recalling the de-centering issue - I think that may have been the thing that I read.

With that being said, I went into SRS on Saturday to try and get a feel for some other brands. I looked at the Nikon because my beef right now is focusing and 'the google' says that the Nikon has been/is historically better than Canon at that. The K-5 is already different enough from my K-10d that it feels like a different platform (the shutter sound is so much different), so I went into it with an open mind. I found that the Nikon is not really that much faster at focusing, if at all. It's good because it has more AF points, but so long as you keep the moving object using the centre focus point, the speed at which the camera gives confirmed AF locks while continuous focusing on a moving object (wife walking towards me) is very similar. I used the 18-135mm on the Pentax and a similar zoom w/VR on the Nikon D7000.

The thought of loosing WR and the IS on my f1.4 / long 400mm glass that I can hand-hold because it's on a Pentax just feels criminal. Esp when it doesn't feel like I'd gain anything except a glass selection that is prohibitively expensive for anything with VR on it.

Grumble grumble grumble. Maybe I just need to go buy a K-5 to make myself happy... It'll compensate for using a smaller aperture zoom as a walk-around lense (i.e. the 16-45) and I can keep a few primes for the times when I want a narrow DOF.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8
Last Edited by whelmed on 08/03/2011 - 13:36
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.