Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Getting upset with Pentax

whelmed
Posted 26/02/2011 - 19:37 Link
So, I've just had my 2nd SDM lens failure. My first was on my DA* 50-135mm, which was a lens I just loved. I had that repaired and then sold the lens on eBay as I just couldn't deal with the thought that it was going to happen again. I kept thinking I felt it slowing down when I was using it. I replaced it with a siggy 70-200mm f2.8 instead and love that lens.

So hearing that if you get a good DA* 16-50mm that you're set as the problem was a lens de-glue that occurs. Well, now after 5 months my SDM has just died. Thankfully I've still got 30 days of waranty on this lens.

I've lost faith in Pentax lenses now and am very seriously considering fire selling all my lenses and swapping systems. If can-ikon had in body IS and WR I would go in a heartbeat. I'm completely limited to using 3rd party lenses due to this lack of faith which is just a horrible thing. Sorry for the grumble, I'm just quite annoyed.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8
Mannesty
Posted 26/02/2011 - 19:42 Link
whelmed wrote:
So hearing that if you get a good DA* 16-50mm that you're set as the problem was a lens de-glue that occurs.

Sorry to hear of your woes, but I haven't a clue what this sentence means ? ? ?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 26/02/2011 - 19:47 Link
I've never heard that one either. What does it mean?
Best regards, John
Dangermouse
Posted 26/02/2011 - 19:50 Link
I would guess it's a reference to failure of glue (is it still Canada Balsam or do they use something else now?) between lens elements, as can affect the old FA 28-70mm f4.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
johnriley
Posted 26/02/2011 - 19:54 Link
It's something else now, but I don't think it can be that as it has no bearing on the SDM problem.
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 26/02/2011 - 19:54 Link
Dangermouse wrote:
I would guess it's a reference to failure of glue (is it still Canada Balsam or do they use something else now?) between lens elements, as can affect the old FA 28-70mm f4.

The only problems I have heard of with the 16-50mm are to do with SDM.
Never seperation.
Unlocker
Posted 26/02/2011 - 20:39 Link
Even though SDM failures do happen, in the UK, we are fine. Why? Sale of goods act 1974, that's why.

We had an early 50-135mm go after nearly 2 years. To cut a long story short, and after it had been back for repair 3 times I demanded a new lens and got it. It also helps to have a good relationship with your supplier.

If you think that moving to another system is going to stop you having problems then think again. A quick google will show you that every manufacturer has problems. Since getting into photography I've returned or replaced 2x K-7s, 3x Metz flashguns a 16-50 and a K-5. Might sound bad, but I'm on my 5th Macbook Pro thanks to nVidia!!

Solution is simple buy new from a decent supplier, in our case, SRS as they are biggest Pentax supplier in the country, and know your consumer rights. Simples!
golfdiesel
Posted 26/02/2011 - 20:47 Link
My dad had a number of Canon lens failures with the EOS 1000 film camera he had. With all of those lenses the ultrasonic drive system died.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Tyr
Posted 26/02/2011 - 21:53 Link
According to a fix guide the SDM drives just get stuck. Because they are piezoelectric it is nearly impossible for them to burn out, just jam. Apparently removing the mount plate gives access to the SDM motor which has a screw on top that you can turn to un-jam.

I have had one SDM failure but it has not put me off. I am happy with the performance and noise and if I get a problem I would try to un-jam it myself. Others may not want to, especially if it is in warranty.
davex
Posted 26/02/2011 - 21:57 Link
Thing is, I just love the focus action on my 50-135.
If it jams will get it sorted out.
It is just so much better than screwdrive.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
fatspider
Posted 26/02/2011 - 23:12 Link
Its most unfortunate to have so many problems and I have to admit it would get my back up too, but as others have pointed out you can get problems with almost anything, your sig says it all really.
Quote:
K10d and a horribly fast growing number of lenses

you must be happy with the system overall.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
royd63uk
Posted 26/02/2011 - 23:14 Link
nothings perfect
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
Dangermouse
Posted 26/02/2011 - 23:16 Link
Tyr wrote:
According to a fix guide the SDM drives just get stuck. Because they are piezoelectric it is nearly impossible for them to burn out, just jam. Apparently removing the mount plate gives access to the SDM motor which has a screw on top that you can turn to un-jam.

Interesting... It would fit with the comments about them failing after being left for a while and then used again.

SDM failures wouldn't put me off buying a lens fitted with it, if I had the money to do so. As has been mentioned we have plenty of legal protection to call upon if needed and from what I've heard a decent retailer like SRS will do everything humanly possible to sort any problems out.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Opethian
Posted 26/02/2011 - 23:32 Link
Sorry to hear that you've been having bad experiences. All I can advice is that "sh*t happens" and hopefully it doesn't get to you.

The last thing you'd want to happen is to shift to another system and THEN realize why you went for Pentax in the first place. SDM is but just a small (albeit quite important) part of the Pentax experience.
arto
Posted 27/02/2011 - 15:28 Link
whelmed wrote:

If can-ikon had in body IS and WR I would go in a heartbeat.

Why not switch to Olympus? Nice bodies, IS, plenty of big zooms of the kind you seem to like ...

Or you could stick with Pentax and start using smaller, screw-drive primes like the Limiteds. In my opinion, if you're not shooting primes, there's little reason to stay with Pentax. Pentax = primes.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.