Getting upset with Pentax

Tyr

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 15:50
arto wrote:
whelmed wrote:

If can-ikon had in body IS and WR I would go in a heartbeat.

Why not switch to Olympus? Nice bodies, IS, plenty of big zooms of the kind you seem to like ...

Or you could stick with Pentax and start using smaller, screw-drive primes like the Limiteds. In my opinion, if you're not shooting primes, there's little reason to stay with Pentax. Pentax = primes.

Really poor noise on Olympus?

Sony may be a better option as they have IS.

I shoot with Pentax DA* zooms. I chose Pentax for the weather sealing originally. Nothing wrong with Pentax zooms, the image quality is very good as is the resolution.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

johnriley

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 17:15
Olympus have reached the end of the line with their DSLRs and although the E-5 performs well, it isn't as good as a K-5. Despite a seriously higher price.

Stick with Pentax and you will be fine. All makes have items that fail, there's no avoiding it.
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 17:29
As for other brands...keep an eye Samsung they got some serious plans for the future and the means to make it happen...
As far as pentax is concerned... if you feel you can't make a decent photo because of the name on the camera...
well...
good luck getting better photos with a different brand...
I think you'll find with every brand and every product out there, new models, new technology or new production facilities always equal problems... from cars to toasters to cameras.... I'm positive other camera makers are facing similar challenges.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 27/02/2011 - 17:35

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 17:50
Don wrote:

As far as pentax is concerned... if you feel you can't make a decent photo because of the name on the camera...
well...

Where did that come from?
. My Flickr

Don

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 18:20
Mike-P wrote:
Don wrote:

well...

Where did that come from?

wasn't quite done typing before you responded... yes I was a little over the top... but really the 16-50 and 50 -135 are the first of their kind for Pentax... early adopters of "New" technology should expect to be the first to find out if there are design and or production problems..... which is what I was implying when I said:
Quote:
I think you'll find with every brand and every product out there, new models, new technology or new production facilities always equal problems... from cars to toasters to cameras.... I'm positive other camera makers are facing similar challenges.

but you're right, sorry for being so abrupt and flippant in my remarks.
Being the first one to catch the first wave is always fun... unless you're also the first one to find a shark in the water...
Last Edited by Don on 27/02/2011 - 18:22

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 18:44
Don wrote:

Being the first one to catch the first wave is always fun... unless you're also the first one to find a shark in the water...

Tell me about it .. (7 week wait for a replacement unstained K-5)
. My Flickr

Frogfish

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 18:50
If you aren't confident about the 16-50 there are other options (Tamron 17-50 & new Sigma 17-50), if you feel the same about the 50-135 then there is always the faster focusing Sigma 50-150 (if you can still find one). Other than those two, other SDM 'powered' lenses seem to have negligible SDM failure rates.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

Don

Link Posted 27/02/2011 - 19:04
Mike-P wrote:
Don wrote:

I'm still holding off until wedding season is in full swing.... (april) before buying anything new..
but really, if Pentax was to offer up a decent evil or video cam that uses my k lenses, I'd have to risk jumping in first... but definately will buy from a reputable seller with good service reputation... the only thing worse than finding a flaw, is finding out you can't return or exchange it or get it fixed...

K10D

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 04:20
Don wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
Quote:

I'm still holding off until wedding season is in full swing.... (april) before buying anything new..
but really, if Pentax was to offer up a decent evil or video cam that uses my k lenses, I'd have to risk jumping in first... but definately will buy from a reputable seller with good service reputation... the only thing worse than finding a flaw, is finding out you can't return or exchange it or get it fixed...

I have the money ready to pay for the repair of my 16-50 SDM (self inflicted damage)but it seems like it's in use by Peter Pan in Never Never Land. Main Pentax agent in Oz (CR Kennedy) are a wee bit lacking in communications. Can't even find out if they have sent the lens to Japan.

Still happy with the Sigma 17-50 OS but miss the 16-50 SDM. Is 1mm wider really worth it? ABSOLUTELY!

Best regards

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 06:23
My 16-50mm was bought off Ebay for £300 a couple of years ago. I took a chance as it was cheap and if the SDM does go then for the price I got it at I will have no worries about getting it fixed.

Saying that it is still going strong (touch wood) and I would imagine it was one of the very first batch if I was buying it used that long ago.

SDM has never put me off .. I have the 16-50mm, 55mm, 200mm and 60-250mm (had the 50-135mm but sold it as I rarely usd the thing) and they have never missed a beat. (touch wood again).
. My Flickr

mph555l

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 11:37
As you can see here Canon are currently recalling their 18-200.
It seems every manufacturer can have a bad day.

link

Hope your get your SDM failure fixed soon.

/Ian
K10D & Super A user.

whelmed

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 13:21
Wish I could remember where I read about the dud 16-50mm, it was either a thread on DPreview or 'the other' forum. Either way, I've had a few nights to cool off so the rage is no longer there - but it does still eat at me.

Right now, the 16-50 is my last and only Pentax branded lens. In order to get what I want I've gone completely to sigma lenses:

10-20mm (not the f3.5 one)
30mm f1.4
18-50mm f2.8 which I was about to sell, but now may not.
70-200mm f2.8
1.4x TC

For fun I've got 2 long Tamron lenses: the 500mm mirror and a 400mm f4.0 which is just a real stunner. If I were to swap systems, I'd probably be get about £1200 for the lot above, and £250 for my current K10d body. Throw in about £500 for the DA* lens and I'm just shy of £2k. Wouldn't really leave that much room for a system swap to a high end camera and nice glass.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8

whelmed

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 13:24
Don wrote:
well...

Uhh, wtf? Who took a shit in your cornflakes this morning? I'm quite happy with the image quality I get out of any system thank you very much.

K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8
Last Edited by whelmed on 28/02/2011 - 13:26

gartmore

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 13:58
Come on, Don already explained himself earlier in the thread; no need to be offensive.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 28/02/2011 - 13:58

Don

Link Posted 28/02/2011 - 14:29
Quote:
Getting upset with Pentax

whelmed wrote:
So, I've just had my 2nd SDM lens failure. My first was on my DA* 50-135mm, which was a lens I just loved. (1)I had that repaired and then sold the lens on eBay as I just couldn't deal with the thought that it was going to happen again. I kept thinking I felt it slowing down when I was using it. I replaced it with a siggy 70-200mm f2.8 instead and love that lens.

So (2) hearing that if you get a good DA* 16-50mm that you're set as the problem was a lens de-glue that occurs. Well, now after 5 months my SDM has just died. Thankfully I've still got 30 days of waranty on this lens.

(3) I've lost faith in Pentax lenses now and am very seriously considering fire selling all my lenses and swapping systems. (4) If can-ikon had in body IS and WR I would go in a heartbeat. I'm completely limited to using 3rd party lenses due to this lack of faith which is just a horrible thing. Sorry for the grumble, I'm just quite annoyed.

You start off angry....
(1) Pass the trash... If it was repaired, most people would be happy, if it was repaired and still not functioning, I wonder how happy the buyer would be who got stuck with a lemon..
(2) You've come up with a not heard of before issue on a lens that bears resemblance to a real issue with an older, completely different lens... so you're not checking your facts on the de-glue issue... (as for sdm, some people are actually repairing it themselves at no cost.) .. check out RiceHigh's blog... you'll like him.
(3) we get enough trolls the come and bash the brand, if you wanted advice, you might try not blending in so well with the trolls.

Sadly your first post in this thread, you came across like a temperamental, trollish, petty person looking for an argument. I responded that to you the way I do to the trolls.

A response like :
Quote:
Uhh, wtf? Who took a shit in your cornflakes this morning? I'm quite happy with the image quality I get out of any system thank you very much.

to an apology like:
Quote:
wasn't quite done typing before you responded... yes I was a little over the top... but really the 16-50 and 50 -135 are the first of their kind for Pentax... early adopters of "New" technology should expect to be the first to find out if there are design and or production problems..... which is what I was implying when I said:

but you're right, sorry for being so abrupt and flippant in my remarks.

Demonstrates that you completely overlook anything nice and fixate on and over react to any perceived wrong... doesn't help your case for ranting about swapping brands.
I'm not going to argue any further.
suggest you check out Richhighs blog.
If I did anything REALLY wrong it was not looking at your post count and realizing you've been here a while.
So again I'll say it, sorry.
Last Edited by Don on 28/02/2011 - 14:40
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.