Gallery or Forum?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 15:01
A few weeks ago I was lambasted by one of the Forum members for only posting my images on the Gallery and not in the 'Your Photos' section of the Forum. At the time I didn't know that the upload rules had changed and that it's now easier to post images on the Forum It was suggested that for 'constructive feedback' it's always best to post on the Forum, as the gallery images often don't get looked at by most of the members, and any comments posted on the Gallery are usually meaningless.

Since then, I've tried to follow this advice and whilst still posting on the Gallery, I've also posted some in 'Your Photos', including a set last night. I have to say that I've been underwhelmed by the lack of interest to my image posts on 'Your Photos' and have had very little constructive feedback at all - the ones posted last night haven't even been looked at. This is in marked contrast to Gallery images which almost always attract comment, some of it very useful. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me?

So, I would be interested in what the members think, is it best to post in 'Your Photos' or on the 'Gallery'?

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Blythman

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 15:19
I say "Your Photos". Hadn't posted to the Gallery for ages. This morning i decided to join up to PU plus. Then I posted an image. Not loads of images, just one, as I've done previously. After upload I got a message saying it would be visible after it had been authorised. What is going on???????? That was before 10:30 this morning. Do they think my squirrel is too risque
Alan

PPG
Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 15:22
Not sure what's going on there Alan, I've never had an 'authority' message?

Thanks for your reply and vote.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

coker

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 17:01
Ive found the two areas "horses for courses".

In Gallery, one is virtually guaranteed a reasonable response. It may range from a simple smiley (only!), to a decent debate, help & advice offered, etc.

On Your Photos, it tends to be either nothing at all or, if it's accompanied by a "serious" request for advice, a long series of comments & (helpful) criticism.
I have found, however, that it may take a while for an initial response to be posted, which then seems to open the discussion to all.

My posts on Your Photos do tend to be more "serious" & those on Gallery the everyday, as I take them, images.

Roger.

johnriley

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 17:09
No idea what the authorisation bit was, never seen that before.

As regards the Gallery or Forum, the choice is there to be used however members wish.

Personally, I have tended to use the Gallery.

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 17:57
Blythman wrote:
I say "Your Photos". Hadn't posted to the Gallery for ages. This morning i decided to join up to PU plus. Then I posted an image. Not loads of images, just one, as I've done previously. After upload I got a message saying it would be visible after it had been authorised. What is going on???????? That was before 10:30 this morning. Do they think my squirrel is too risque

Did you tick : Enter Pentax User Quarterly Competition?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

focus

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 18:43
davidstorm wrote:
A few weeks ago I was lambasted by one of the Forum members for only posting my images on the Gallery and not in the 'Your Photos' section of the Forum. At the time I didn't know that the upload rules had changed and that it's now easier to post images on the Forum It was suggested that for 'constructive feedback' it's always best to post on the Forum, as the gallery images often don't get looked at by most of the members, and any comments posted on the Gallery are usually meaningless.

Since then, I've tried to follow this advice and whilst still posting on the Gallery, I've also posted some in 'Your Photos', including a set last night. I have to say that I've been underwhelmed by the lack of interest to my image posts on 'Your Photos' and have had very little constructive feedback at all - the ones posted last night haven't even been looked at. This is in marked contrast to Gallery images which almost always attract comment, some of it very useful. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me?

So, I would be interested in what the members think, is it best to post in 'Your Photos' or on the 'Gallery'?

Regards
David

- To be completely honest, David (and to my shame) , i didn't know there was a 'Your Photos' post, where members could post pics!. I thought the gallery, was the only place we could do that. However, that said, if it is only for those members looking for a more constructive critique on others work, then i, in my very amateur capacity will not be doing so ( i will enjoy looking though!) and will stick to giving my more humble opinions in the gallery. Having quickly glanced through some of the pics posted in 'you posts', i have to say, that the work posted appears of much a better quality than some of the SAME pics also posted in the gallery. In fact the gallery really doesn't seem to have done some of them justice,- ( perhaps different file sizes..? not sure). Anyway, i know this hasn't really contributed to your post/enquiry - sorry, but thanks for making me aware of the 'your posts' section!. I look forward to viewing it more often!! - mary.
Last Edited by focus on 16/09/2012 - 18:59

Blythman

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 18:51
Mike-P wrote:

Did you tick : Enter Pentax User Quarterly Competition?

Yep
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 18:56
Blythman wrote:
Yep

Did exactly the same thing myself

When you tick that the photo is entered into the competition (hence it needs to be authorised)

It also doesn't get posted to the gallery,
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Blythman

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 19:27
Mike-P wrote:
Blythman wrote:
Yep

Did exactly the same thing myself

When you tick that the photo is entered into the competition (hence it needs to be authorised)

It also doesn't get posted to the gallery,

LOL - Thanks Mike
Alan

PPG
Flickr

womble

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 19:48
It'll appear in the gallery after the current competition has been judged and announced.

I've always assumed that the gallery = pictures I am pleased with and the "my photos" section was the area for constructive comments. That is how I have always used them myself.

The differences between the two areas have been discussed before with the suggestion that the gallery should be for our best images, but no agreement was ever reached as to how that could be enforced.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

fritzthedog

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 23:00
David

I experienced exactly the same as you - so have not posted any in the forum for a long time.

Speaking for myself - any comments I leave are not platform specific - whether in the forum or gallery - I will just say what I think. If the originator has specifically asked for comments - constructive criticism etc - I will always try to give it.

I do find it strange that there appears to be a group that never visits the forum but spends time every day in the gallery and another group who never appear to be in the gallery - to me - both groups are missing out.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Blythman

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 23:04
womble wrote:
It'll appear in the gallery after the current competition has been judged and announced.
K.

Thanks Kris
Alan

PPG
Flickr

aliengrove

Link Posted 17/09/2012 - 00:53
Your poll missed out "Both" as a choice....

I used to post quite regularly in the gallery until the one upload per day was removed for paid-up members. Now there's often lots of very similar posts from the same user: at the moment there are 5 pictures of people in lycra on bikes by one member. Not that I've got anything particular against lycra or bikes mind. One image at a time would do though......I tend to give critique less as well; which bike picture should I critique? All of them? So now I only tend to comment on images in the gallery that I like.

Perhaps the whole gallery could do with a re-design as well, so that there are more than 16 thumbnails prrr page, and the viewer doesn't have to keep loading new pages to see recently uploaded images.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

CMW

Link Posted 17/09/2012 - 09:14
One element in the Gallery I appreciate is the ability to look up the exif data and to see what settings were used to capture a particular picture. I can't see a similar facility in 'my photos', but perhaps I can't see it for looking ...

The weakness of the gallery is the unlimited upload facility, which (without any hurdles to jump) hardly encourages much of a process of self-criticism/-selection.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.