Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Free Photoshop IR conversion action

aliengrove
Posted 19/06/2012 - 10:10 Link
I stumbled across a free Photoshop action recently that I am very impressed with for converting colour IR images. It swaps the red and blue channels (giving blue skies), adjusts the levels, and finishes with opening the Hue/saturation command so that you can tweak the individual colours. The WB has to be correct on the original image. It works better than anything I have tried or made myself.

Here's the link, just click on the link on the Downloads, open the zip file and it automatically installs. I hope some of you find it useful.

I would also thoroughly recommend the site where I first found the link, Mark Hilliards IR blog. Lots of useful info there.
steven9761
Posted 19/06/2012 - 11:21 Link
Thanks for the link!!.. Where do I install the unzipped file in Photoshop? Do I simply add it to the PLUGINS folder?
bettyswolloks
Posted 19/06/2012 - 11:54 Link
Just click on it, it should open photoshop and install all in one Mate.
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
bettyswolloks
Posted 19/06/2012 - 12:05 Link
This is one using this PS action. Not sure it's my cup of tea but it make for an intresting image. This was shot with a 720nm filter.

Comment Image
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
steven9761
Posted 19/06/2012 - 12:16 Link
bettyswolloks wrote:
Just click on it, it should open photoshop and install all in one Mate.

Cheers!!.. I just checked the Actions folder in PS, and there it is!!
aliengrove
Posted 19/06/2012 - 16:17 Link
I can't post the image here (not taken on a Pentax), but this is a link to a shot I processed using this plug-in, finishing by adjusting the hue of reds, yellows, cyans and blues.
Edited by aliengrove: 19/06/2012 - 16:18
coker
Posted 19/06/2012 - 17:18 Link
That has to be the most breathtaking image I've seen on PU!

The clarity of the land & clouds is superb. Oh that images such as this could have been around when I did O Level Geography (all those years ago!).

Thanks for letting us see these beauties!

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
matwhittington
Posted 19/06/2012 - 18:21 Link
Thanks for a very interesting link... and your linked photo is phemomenal - really top notch

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
aliengrove
Posted 19/06/2012 - 19:18 Link
Thanks for the comments on the picture; that and some of the other shots of the Rift Valley on my Flickr stream were only possible in IR due to the amount of haze. They were taken at 665nm.

I have toyed with the idea of converting a K-01, which unfortunately wasn't available when I decided I wanted a better IR camera. If the K-02 or whatever comes next in mirrorless from Pentax (phase detection AF is a must for aerial shots using a zoom, as is an electronic viewfinder, which is why I bought the Sony) has an EVF, I will definitely get one and convert it, so I can use all my Pentax AF lenses.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.