Forum plus?
Posted 13/06/2011 - 23:54
Link
I'm pleased to hear the articles have been useful Andy and I'm hoping that in the fullness of time there will be more. It would be undermining PU a bit if I started to distribute copies through their forum, effectively in competition!
If you don't want to join PU Plus then PU are selling off the magazines at the cost of postage so you might consider getting the appropriate issues?
If you don't want to join PU Plus then PU are selling off the magazines at the cost of postage so you might consider getting the appropriate issues?
Best regards, John
Posted 14/06/2011 - 00:21
Link
John,
There is really not much to draw me towards spending a tenner as the only thing I do is read the articles, and the internet is full or articles.
I really object to these changes...not just here but accross the internet...it's free...for a while, then the owners include adverts...enjoy the revenue from them and want more...so add a subscription...lastFM is another example.
The other thing I don't like is the magazine to pdf change....magazines cost a lot to setup and print...pdfs cost much less...especially when you get people contriubuting for free, someone lays it out and 'pdfs it'...voila...cheap copy! I'll pay for a magazine but not for a PDF...well not the same amount anyway.
I'm involved with the ATC and we too have gone from magazine to pdf on both the cost grounds and their [the old officers] thinking that the youngsters will be tripping over themselves to read one of these new fangled pdfs on their computer...which they won't! You can't tear an article out of a pdf and put it on the notice board either!
Andy
There is really not much to draw me towards spending a tenner as the only thing I do is read the articles, and the internet is full or articles.
I really object to these changes...not just here but accross the internet...it's free...for a while, then the owners include adverts...enjoy the revenue from them and want more...so add a subscription...lastFM is another example.
The other thing I don't like is the magazine to pdf change....magazines cost a lot to setup and print...pdfs cost much less...especially when you get people contriubuting for free, someone lays it out and 'pdfs it'...voila...cheap copy! I'll pay for a magazine but not for a PDF...well not the same amount anyway.
I'm involved with the ATC and we too have gone from magazine to pdf on both the cost grounds and their [the old officers] thinking that the youngsters will be tripping over themselves to read one of these new fangled pdfs on their computer...which they won't! You can't tear an article out of a pdf and put it on the notice board either!
Andy
Posted 14/06/2011 - 01:45
Link
hmmm...but I CAN read John's SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lens Review
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/smc-pentax-da-55-300mm-f-4-5-8-ed-lens-review-...
it seems the reviews of kit 'available from warehouse express' are free to view! I wonder how SRS feel about that?
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/smc-pentax-da-55-300mm-f-4-5-8-ed-lens-review-...
it seems the reviews of kit 'available from warehouse express' are free to view! I wonder how SRS feel about that?
Posted 14/06/2011 - 06:11
Link
Ancly-I think your being a bit harsh- I can't imagine this site makes a lot of money-its not exactly Unilever is it?? I believe the magazine in print folded on financial grounds. From my perspective I paid a tenner because I enjoy being a member and want the site to remain. The advice and education I have received on PU forum alone is worth far more. I could have got that for free but am happy to pay. As Pentaxians we are in a minority that's what makes the forum unique in my view. If the site folded I would be gutted and it is a fraction of the cost of a new bit of kit.
As for SRS- they are constantly mentioned on this site as the best retailer for service and are very competitive on price- ths is by members who are extremely happy with their service- you simply cannot get better advertising than this. The fact they are the "offical" partner of PU is rather irrelevant. I for one would pay slightly more at SRS than WE because of the service.
for me the best tenner spent this year!
As for SRS- they are constantly mentioned on this site as the best retailer for service and are very competitive on price- ths is by members who are extremely happy with their service- you simply cannot get better advertising than this. The fact they are the "offical" partner of PU is rather irrelevant. I for one would pay slightly more at SRS than WE because of the service.
for me the best tenner spent this year!
Posted 14/06/2011 - 09:14
Link
I must agree with japers45, where else could you find such a friendly and informative forum with all the help you are ever likely to need for just £10-00 a year which is 0.0273 pence a day? I would pay double that to belong to this site just for the help alone.
Regards John/Jumbo
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


114 posts
16 years
I refer to John's photoshop techniques articles quite regularly....I forget in which order to adjust my photos and it's a great help.
However [and I may be behind the times here]I've not looked at it for a while and find that now I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT????
I would't mind but I've looked at it maybe 20 times over the last year or so.
John, as you are probably moderating this anyway....any chance of the text from 4 5 and 6 please? it was very useful!
I do feel slightly hard done by here.
Thanks
Andy