Fortnightly Competition #28 - Comments - Bonfire Night

thoughton
Posted 28/10/2009 - 23:54 Link
I believe I am supposed to start one of these threads. Here it be!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Hyram
Posted 29/10/2009 - 08:23 Link
Excellent idea
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Anvh
Posted 29/10/2009 - 10:30 Link
Well not for us since it isn't a custom here
If I want to make a bonfire I need to ask approval for that since it's against the law to make a bonfire here.

As far as I know Guy Fawkes Night is only a British custom, so it will be hard for the rest as well probably.

Also Mhuni wrote down the rules and one of them was. link
7. The latest winner will select the next theme taking into consideration its practicality for all potential entrants (eg. don’t select ‘Winter’ when it’s summer down under), and will initiate the new competition as soon as possible after the previous results have been posted.

Sorry to spoil the fun
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 29/10/2009 - 10:40
Aiki
Posted 29/10/2009 - 10:56 Link
Anvh, maybe just fire (flame) then??? For those, who have no other chance?

Halloween is not celebrated here either. And the weather has been so damned disgusting, that I have no wish to make a fire outside. Too wet anyway.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see the pics in theme by others
The most surprising and interesting ideas coming when there are less possibilities
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
Anvh
Posted 29/10/2009 - 11:10 Link
But Aki they don't celebrate Halloween that's on 31 October, they celebrate Guy Fawkes Night in the UK and in the UK colonies, but besides that hardly any country does it, it's an English custom.

Yes we could make photos of flames but that is beside the Bonfire night theme right?

I wonder if we would get any objection if we would do Pakjesavond as a theme.
Pakjesavond is custom that goes together with sinterklaas and is done on 5 December, if you wonder.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Aiki
Posted 29/10/2009 - 12:42 Link
Stefan,
Maybe some pic about looking a movie from TV (etc) with bonfire in it ?
Maybe some collage about freezing or urban person longing for bonfire ?
Maybe some autumn trees in flames of colors?

Oh, who knows.....
If it is not possible...then somehow it must be possible.
(This is not MY promise to enter.)

But defenetly the choice of theme is teaching sth to the next judges.
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
Hyram
Posted 29/10/2009 - 13:30 Link
Anvh wrote:
Well not for us since it isn't a custom here
If I want to make a bonfire I need to ask approval for that since it's against the law to make a bonfire here.

As far as I know Guy Fawkes Night is only a British custom, so it will be hard for the rest as well probably.

Also Mhuni wrote down the rules and one of them was. link
7. The latest winner will select the next theme taking into consideration its practicality for all potential entrants (eg. don’t select ‘Winter’ when it’s summer down under), and will initiate the new competition as soon as possible after the previous results have been posted.

Sorry to spoil the fun
Stefan,

You did not enter the last competition and White Shirts exist all over the world
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Aiki
Posted 29/10/2009 - 13:44 Link
If you really enjoy sth then nothing spoils the fun
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
darlene
Posted 29/10/2009 - 16:05 Link
WE Newfie"s all celebrate Guy Fawks night on Nov 5th I'll see what I can get! Also halloween is a big event!
thoughton
Posted 29/10/2009 - 18:34 Link
Sorry Stefan, didn't mean to wind you up!

Before setting the topic I did consider what the non-UK* members would do, which is why I put in that 2nd paragraph saying that any fire photo will be acceptable from those members who don't celebrate it.

*Plus certain provinces in Canada!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 29/10/2009 - 18:47
Anvh
Posted 29/10/2009 - 19:08 Link
Hyram wrote:
Stefan,

You did not enter the last competition and White Shirts exist all over the world
Very true but I didn't have a white shirt with me when I was at my girls and mothers place.
I'm just home for two days.
But to be honest I hardly enter those comps, only did it twice so far.

But GivingTree, dr. Mhuni, Tony-O, JudithAnn and Aki did enter so almost 50% of the entrance of last comp wouldn't have been able to enter it.

Since I was early and no one else commented I thought to comment as fast as I can to make some things clear, if someone would have comment over 2 days then it might have been harder to edit the topic a bit.
So it has nothing to do with spoiling the fun or acting as a police men, just wanted to be fair for everyone and Tim had already provided the answer.

thoughton wrote:
Sorry Stefan, didn't mean to wind you up!

Before setting the topic I did consider what the non-UK members would do, which is why I put in that 2nd paragraph saying that any fire photo will be acceptable from those members who don't celebrate it.
Tim, sorry I took "old fire photos" literal, I was already thinking because you said in the third paragraph the dates at which the photo must be taken.

We can make bonfires here the 5th Tim but we need to ask permission, I could try it though... but the government isn't that efficient to do it in 14 days probably
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 29/10/2009 - 19:09
gartmore
Posted 29/10/2009 - 19:16 Link
Anvh wrote:
But Aki they don't celebrate Halloween that's on 31 October, they celebrate Guy Fawkes Night in the UK and in the UK colonies, but besides that hardly any country does it, it's an English custom.

Yes we could make photos of flames but that is beside the Bonfire night theme right?

I wonder if we would get any objection if we would do Pakjesavond as a theme.
Pakjesavond is custom that goes together with sinterklaas and is done on 5 December, if you wonder.
Stefan, we do celebrate Halloween in the UK and most certainly in Scotland and Ireland where it has its roots in the pre-Christain festival of Samhain. Children here go guising (in disguise) and visit houses for a treat as a reward for some sort of performance like reciting a poem or singing a song. They carry lanterns carved from turnips.

This festival was exported to America but sadly the American version has been imported back recently so lanterns are being carved from pumpkins (easier!) but the phrase 'trick or treat' is banned in this house!

I did some filming in the Netherlands about December 5th traditions and I enjoyed the antics of the Black Peiters, am I right in thinking it is illegal to put up Christmas decorations before this date? If so - good idea.

Guy Fawkes Night is a British tradition not an English one. He was a Catholic Englishman trying to assassinate a Scottish Protestant who was first king of the UK.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Anvh
Posted 29/10/2009 - 19:45 Link
Thank you for clearing that up Ken.
We hardly celebrate Halloween because we have St. Martin's Day on the 11th and that's almost the same, well not really but children also ask for candy at the doors and we don't want to spoil them that bad

In some places there are some bonfires I believe on that day (1 November) but those would be at midnight so after closing of the comp

gartmore wrote:
I did some filming in the Netherlands about December 5th traditions and I enjoyed the antics of the Black Peiters, am I right in thinking it is illegal to put up Christmas decorations before this date? If so - good idea.
Yes that's true, we are quite proud about our Sinterklaas, it's our Santa Claus (see the similarities?) to say it very simple.

Did you also do some filming about the arriving of Sinterklaas in his steamship?
It's the first Saturday after St. Martin's Day.

If we also did have Halloween the children would get 3 times in a short amount of time free candy, since with the arriving of Sinterklaas they also get candy.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 29/10/2009 - 19:55
gartmore
Posted 29/10/2009 - 20:37 Link
I filmed in a Junior School near Rotterdam and a little boy asked me where we came from, before I got a chance to reply his teaher interrupted and said, 'Why are you asking, you know they are from Spain. Sinterklaas always has his own film crew.'

I'm glad I was right about December 5th, its important we all hang onto our traditions and individuality.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
JudithAnn
Posted 02/11/2009 - 04:34 Link
I was wondering what I might do....here in my province they do not even know what this is or who Guy Fawks is.....as I read through the threads Aki said
Quote:
Maybe some autumn trees in flames of colors?

...I highly doubt that the colour of flames in leaves would be acceptable...but I bet that burning the leaves would do it!....umm if they are not too wet to burst into flames and not just smolter....I will try this tomorrow...and like you Stephen we have fire regulation...but hey, by the time I am reported, since I just burning leaves(not wood) the fire would be long out....and whos to say that Buddy-Whats-His-Name, walking down the road didn't flick his smoke/cig/fag right in my nicely raked pile of leave Lucky for my neighbours I was there to take pictures! (not sure why I am not trying to put it out and save them all:roll...And hopfully, just hopfully no one will see me on my knees huffing and puffing on smokin, smolterin leavestrying to get some fantastic flames for Tim comp!
Edited by JudithAnn: 02/11/2009 - 04:38

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo