Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Focusing ...

xbow
Posted 20/08/2014 - 18:35 Link
Hhm, what do we think about this ...

http://improvephotography.com/4552/back-button-focusing/
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Mike-P
Posted 20/08/2014 - 18:44 Link
Have used back button focusing for years ... couldn't go back to it on the shutter button now.

It took me 5 or 6 tries before I stuck with it as it takes some getting used to but once you are comfortable with it then it becomes second nature.
wvbarnes
Posted 20/08/2014 - 18:58 Link
Does this depend on how you are using autofocus? I generally uses AFS (single) rather than AFC (continuous) and single centre point AF. I use the shutter button as I've always found myself using first pressure and holding for locking and moving in composition such as with a group where there is risk of focusing on a gap to the background. Earlier cameras especially compacts didn't have a back button.

I'll give it a try on my next outing.
Mike-P
Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:06 Link
Mine is always in AFC as there is no need for AFS if you use the back focus method. If you want AFS press rear focus button then release .. you can now take the shot with shutter button or recompose as required. If you need AFC then just keep your finger on the rear focus button.

As I said, I hated it to begin with and gave up on numerous occasions but it's all I use now.
Blythman
Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:21 Link
As Mike says its something that doesn't click straightaway. But if you can persevere for a couple of weeks, I reckon you'll stick with it.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
wvbarnes
Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:30 Link
Blythman wrote:
As Mike says its something that doesn't click straightaway. But if you can persevere for a couple of weeks, I reckon you'll stick with it.

Ahh, but does it turn our grey squirrels red as well as sharp like yours Alan? Now I've got a 300* F4 I'm in new territory anyway. Anyone got a TC 1.4 cheap and a loud alarm to get up as early as Alan does it seems?
davidstorm
Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:55 Link
BBF is the way to go - more control, easier when you get used to it. Once ingrained you will never do it any other way.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
swarf
Posted 20/08/2014 - 20:10 Link
I've decided to give it a go - expect much annoyance while I get used to it! However, I can immediately see the advantages.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
Blythman
Posted 20/08/2014 - 21:03 Link
wvbarnes wrote:

Ahh, but does it turn our grey squirrels red as well as sharp like yours Alan?

Of course it does

wvbarnes wrote:

..... a loud alarm to get up as early as Alan does it seems?

Sadly struggling to push myself. Haven't been down the beach for sunrise for months
Alan

PPG
Flickr
xbow
Posted 20/08/2014 - 22:02 Link
I'm not convinced but I'll give it a go...
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
alfpics
Posted 20/08/2014 - 22:06 Link
Interesting - never tried it, but as swarf says can see the advantages. I too shall give it a go!
Andy
punkrockemo
Posted 20/08/2014 - 22:32 Link
I have been experimenting with back buck focusing a and have found it allot easier. Had a few instances when i first started where I forgot i had changed settings and tried focusing with shutter button and couldn't understand why it did not work and work. Other than that it was easy to get the hang of
richandfleur
Posted 21/08/2014 - 04:31 Link
I just read the original link article and thought the examples were pretty weak.

Switching to manual focus (via those external quick buttons everyone is so proud off) would have solved some of the issues.

And holding the AF-L button sounds remarkably like using the back button focus technique anyway.

It's a tricky subject because I think it's so subject matter dependant. I for example never use the focus point select technique and spend most of my life on a point and shoot style. That has it's pros and cons also I admit.

Then number of focus points is largely irrelevant to me, and I can only really see this being of use if there was some clever automatic tracking ability at some stage.

Nice to see a Pentax specific tutorial offered though, and a picture graphic for all camera types ...

Comment Image
caj26
Posted 21/08/2014 - 07:48 Link
Thanks for this, I too shall have a go!
mille19
Posted 21/08/2014 - 09:09 Link
I started to use back-button focussing on my K5 but now I have a K3, and often use the 2 cameras together for sport, I've stopped using the back-button focus.
Because the buttons are in different places on the K5 and K3 I was often missing the button when quickly swapping between the two cameras.

Having said that I think the back-focus button is better if you're using one camera and are not in a rush to get grab-shots. I think I'll start using back-button focus for my wildlife again.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.