Which camera?

johnriley

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 16:44
A friend of ours just asked for advice on choosing a camera for a trip overseas, unobtrusive, to fit in a handbag, versatile.

In the Pentax range we suggested looking at the WG series, the MX-1 and the Q.

For her requirements probably a WG-4, but what would you choose? I think I might go for a Q kit with a few lenses, purely for the versatility, but maybe a WG if it was an adventure holiday.
Best regards, John

hogboy

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 18:24
Also worth considering the new Sony RX100 Mk 3
Exceptionally well reviewed by Camerlabs, plus this one has a pop up viewfinder
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20

johnriley

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 18:31
The question was what would you choose from the Pentax range....we're talking here about three different styles of camera and I was wondering what type you would be most comfortable with for the purpose outlined.

These are typified in this context by the WG, MX-1 and Q.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 18:38
johnriley wrote:
The question was what would you choose from the Pentax range

I wouldn't choose anything from the Pentax range, I don't think they do a small unobtrusive quality (WG series ... unobtrusive?) versatile camera.

They make great DSLR's but when compared to other makes their compacts are average at best. (IMO)
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 20/08/2014 - 18:39

gartmore

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:11
Definitely a Q for me, I'm probably the only person on here who doesn't like the MX-1. I think its too big for what it is and I really dont like the feel of the left hand side because of the articulated screen. Even for a beach holiday, never mind adventure, I'd definitely go for the WG.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:44
gartmore wrote:
Definitely a Q for me, I'm probably the only person on here who doesn't like the MX-1. I think its too big for what it is and I really dont like the feel of the left hand side because of the articulated screen. Even for a beach holiday, never mind adventure, I'd definitely go for the WG.

I quite agree, Ken. The MX-1 is an ugly old lump and far too big and heavy for what is still a compact. I used it today and most of the time was simply guessing what was on the screen so bad is it in direct sunlight. It's slow and clunky with an operating system from a 1980s Sinclair Spectrum. I spend more time waiting for files to write and for the damned thing to close down than I do waiting for my wife. And that wretched lens cap... I had a 3mp Fuji about fifteen years ago which was much nicer to use in every way.

But the results are wonderful. And the results should be every camera's bottom line. To understand this is to forgive all its foibles.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

vic cross

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:44
She must want something simple if she needs to ask, therefore, no lens changing. THEREFORE, WG. Simples. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

davidstorm

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 19:50
It definitely would not be a WG for me. I've been very underwhelmed with the WG-3 we have, the exposure accuracy on it is terrible. I haven't held a MX-1 but it seems that almost everyone loves this camera, albeit the size is a bit on the hefty side.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

vic cross

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 20:07
I just had a thought. OW! that hurt. I have a nice little white i10 with all its bits and pieces she could have for £70.00. Not pristine but in VERY GOOD condition. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Blythman

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 20:19
I'd take a Q as I refuse to spend any more money.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

smudge

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 21:56
Having owned a WG-3 for a few months now and being pleased with it at first, I can't say I would recommend it. The build quality is good but the image quality is disappointing even by the low expectations I have for waterproof compacts. Under ideal conditions I can get half decent shots but the same could be said for my mobile phone.

Unfortunately I have no experience of the other two possibilities.
Regards, Philip
Last Edited by smudge on 20/08/2014 - 22:24

hogboy

Link Posted 20/08/2014 - 23:25
If a friends ask for advice on which camera best suits their needs, i will always recommend the best option for them, if i only offered a single brand, i'm not sure how much of a friend i was being.
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20

johnriley

Link Posted 21/08/2014 - 00:16
Thanks for that thought hogboy, but the question was only inspired by the initial enquiry from our friend. I've rejigged it for Pentax User, so fear not we discussed all options!
Best regards, John

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/08/2014 - 04:21
hogboy wrote:
If a friends ask for advice on which camera best suits their needs, i will always recommend the best option for them, if i only offered a single brand, i'm not sure how much of a friend i was being.

Agreed. I've been through this a few times lately, and in certain market segments, and at certain levels of experience, there are definitely better options than the range offered by Pentax presently provides.

Do Pentax do anything with an electronic viewfinder? Normally I find these 95% rubbish, but they can be helpful if shooting on a sunny day for instance. I'm not up much on the non DSLR Pentax offering sorry.

This came up recently when someone was going to classes and the tutor wasn't familiar with Pentax. Whilst students are learning about concepts, aperture, shutter speed and ISO etc then I personally think more 'mainstream' or popular brands are a safer bet. Once they can use those they'll eventually migrate to Pentax when they can clearly see the benefits, or have a purpose that exposes the weaknesses of the other brands.

Throwing a non familiar brand into a teaching situation can often have the teacher or more often the student wasting too much time finding the setting on their own unit. Well that's my take on it at least.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.