Fixed Screen for new APS-C flagship

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 21:06
K10D wrote:
That makes two of us with a common theme.

But would it stop you buying one if it did? it obviously wouldn't with Peter as he already has 2.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

K10D

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 21:10
I won't be buying one either way Mike.

Best regards

Daronl

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 07:31
I don’t care too much about the articulated screen;
The deal breakers/ makers for me are what has led to the demise of Pentax as a “professional tool“;

AF Speed
Tracking capability
Buffering

If these serious weaknesses are improved to match even the modest Nikon D500, Pentax can reposition itself in the market particularly with action and wild life photographers.

The three issues must all be treated as one problem; they must all be resolved together In the new APSc

I still think Pentax glass is nothing short of superb as is the rugged build quality which is second to none (£ for £) but the brand will never regain It’s position of many decades, as a market leader until these three fundamental performance weaknesses are eliminated.
Daronl

RobL

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 08:03
All these comments are based on what forum members like and whether they would buy the new camera or not, but that isn’t the issue; Pentax desperately needs to grow its modest user base by attracting new owners and for a flagship model like this that means photographers using other kit, which might well have features like the tilting screen. Such a feature is typically one of those you don’t think you need until you have it, so it is astonishing that the marketing department (if there is one) would not press this issue very hard. I get the impression that this camera is very much driven by the technical developers which is fine but someone there needs to do a reality check. It will be interesting to see what market sector this is targeted at, is there one where people would buy mirrorless just because of its smaller size but would prefer a DSLR even if that came with compromises? Perhaps there is but I would have thought the fewer compromises the better.

RobL

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 08:12
michaelblue wrote:

Assuming you can see the screen.....which is almost impossible when the sun shines

Just to pick up on this point, on the K1 you can quickly adjust the brightness of the rear screen so it can be seen in most lighting conditions and is something I use often at the seaside for instance. And of course as the screen tilts you can adjust It slightly to improve it.
Last Edited by RobL on 11/09/2020 - 08:14

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 10:00
pschlute wrote:
michaelblue wrote:
Quote:
I think they will come to regret having a fixed screen and it will lose them a lot of sales. Like others, it's not a deal-breaker for me, my K-3 doesn't have a tilting screen but my two Fujifilm cameras do and they're incredibly useful, especially for focusing manually.

I'm sure the viewfinder will be very nice, but I doubt it will allow precise focusing of, for example, a fast 85mm manual focus lens. That can be done better on a screen than on an APS-C viewfinder, and allowing the screen to tilt makes it a lot easier.

Assuming you can see the screen.....which is almost impossible when the sun shines

But this is the advantage of a tilting screen. You can move it to avoid the glare of the sun

Exactly.

I used my Fujifilm X-M1 (no viewfinder) for around two years with only adapted lenses, focusing manually for every shot, and I live in Madrid where the majority of days are sunny and not just UK sunny - shooting film without a meter I use sunny-22 rather than sunny-16.

I doubt I'll buy the K-new because, like Kris, my K-3 still works fine. Better AF and high-ISO performance would be nice but I expect the new camera to cost almost as much as the K-1, given that the KP almost is in FF mirrorless price territory and it's not a flagship.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 11:15
Daronl wrote:
I don’t care too much about the articulated screen;
The deal breakers/ makers for me are what has led to the demise of Pentax as a “professional tool“;

AF Speed
Tracking capability
Buffering

If these serious weaknesses are improved to match even the modest Nikon D500, Pentax can reposition itself in the market particularly with action and wild life photographers.

The three issues must all be treated as one problem; they must all be resolved together In the new APSc

I still think Pentax glass is nothing short of superb as is the rugged build quality which is second to none (£ for £) but the brand will never regain It’s position of many decades, as a market leader until these three fundamental performance weaknesses are eliminated.

Can't compare the K-3 with the D500, I don't think any APS-c camera can match the D500 to be honest. When the K-3 came out the Nikon equivalent was the D7100 - and if you want to criticise the buffer of the K-3 you've probably never used the D7100 or D7200, the most the D7100 could manage was 5 RAW + JPEG. I would go to airshows with my D7100 and D3, and before you know it the buffers were full. The K-3 might've taken longer to acquire focus but when I did I was able to capture much longer bursts. The current top prosumer DX Nikon, the D7500, has a better buffer than the predecessors but at the expense of SD card slots (it takes 1 only) - to get the best out of the D500 you need the expensive XQD and UHS-II SD cards. My only 'fast' camera now is the D500, why did I buy it? D5 AF system and and the 200 shot buffer. The D7100 went long before I sold the K-3.

In a market that is 1/10 of the size it was when the K-5 came out, K-new will be very niche and probably sold in pretty low numbers which will hardly trouble Ricoh, but will probably be more dominant given that CaNikony are more or less abandoning the enthusiast DSLR/DSLT in favour of MILC
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Algernon

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 12:31
RobL wrote:
.........I get the impression that this camera is very much driven by the technical developers which is fine but someone there needs to do a reality check. It will be interesting to see what market sector this is targeted at,,

They have obviously spotted that there is a big gap in the market amongst "YOGA ENTHUSIASTS"

---
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 11/09/2020 - 12:37

Mike-P

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 13:48
Daronl wrote:

AF Speed
Tracking capability
Buffering

First off I would hardly call the D500 modest seeing as it's still the best APS-C DSLR out there by a country mile despite being a few years old now.

Secondly Pentax will never reposition itself in the market as an action/wildlife brand as it just doesn't have the lenses that appeal to those users.

Both reasons are why I bought a D500 (although I sold it recently while they are still fetching a decent price as I want to go mirrorless next year)
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

DOIK

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 14:02
michaelblue wrote:

Not a problem for thBBC

John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.