Fixed Screen for new APS-C flagship

michaelblue

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 13:04
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I think they will come to regret having a fixed screen and it will lose them a lot of sales. Like others, it's not a deal-breaker for me, my K-3 doesn't have a tilting screen but my two Fujifilm cameras do and they're incredibly useful, especially for focusing manually.

I'm sure the viewfinder will be very nice, but I doubt it will allow precise focusing of, for example, a fast 85mm manual focus lens. That can be done better on a screen than on an APS-C viewfinder, and allowing the screen to tilt makes it a lot easier.

Assuming you can see the screen.....which is almost impossible when the sun shines
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 13:17
pschlute wrote:
Pentax have been clear, they are concentrating on the viewfinder, not the screen for the photography experience.

They have also been clear they want to keep size and weight down to compete with the MILC market.

If they want to compete with the MILC market then make a MILC, don't say "we are staying with the DSLR market for the photographic experience" and then try and save a few mm on body size by leaving off the tilting screen. I know it would be pointless them getting into mirrorless now but they can't have it both ways.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 10/09/2020 - 13:18

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 15:40
My K-1 has the screen, it's nice but I don't use it a lot, my D500 has a tilting screen - I hardly use it and when I pick up the D810 I don't think to myself would't it be nice if it had a tilting screen.

Not a dealbreaker for me.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

pschlute

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 16:13
michaelblue wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I think they will come to regret having a fixed screen and it will lose them a lot of sales. Like others, it's not a deal-breaker for me, my K-3 doesn't have a tilting screen but my two Fujifilm cameras do and they're incredibly useful, especially for focusing manually.

I'm sure the viewfinder will be very nice, but I doubt it will allow precise focusing of, for example, a fast 85mm manual focus lens. That can be done better on a screen than on an APS-C viewfinder, and allowing the screen to tilt makes it a lot easier.

Assuming you can see the screen.....which is almost impossible when the sun shines

But this is the advantage of a tilting screen. You can move it to avoid the glare of the sun
Peter

My Flickr page

pschlute

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 16:22
Mike-P wrote:
pschlute wrote:
Pentax have been clear, they are concentrating on the viewfinder, not the screen for the photography experience.

They have also been clear they want to keep size and weight down to compete with the MILC market.

If they want to compete with the MILC market then make a MILC, don't say "we are staying with the DSLR market for the photographic experience" and then try and save a few mm on body size by leaving off the tilting screen. I know it would be pointless them getting into mirrorless now but they can't have it both ways.

You make a good point.

Personally I find the screen of the K1 superb and do a lot of tilting with it when on a tripod which the camera is most of the time

I guess it comes down to usage. I tend to do architectural/ landscape photography where the tilt screen is very useful especially when the camera is high or low on a tripod. If you are a wildlife/sports photographer it is less important

I see no reason to buy a new camera right now but after the new flagship is released I may well look at it seriously as a lighter weight alternative to the K1 when I donít want to lug the latters weight around all day
Peter

My Flickr page

redbusa99

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 16:27
An OLED screen would be good as they are usable in sunlight apparently. No interest in the next model but it should be up to date in the hardware that is available these days. If i was wanting a change it would be a deal breaker for me at this point. The handling of other brands is getting a lot better and the old weather sealing thing is no longer the be all and end all it used to be either.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

HarisF1

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 16:34
OLED has the issue of burn in so it would become unusable very quickly with the static elements on the screen such as borders and icons.

pschlute

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 16:35
With the tech around today both hard and soft I donít see why it should not be possible to have the rear screen display wirelessly available on a smartphone with touch control

Perhaps Pentax have something up their sleeve after all 😀
Peter

My Flickr page

RobL

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 16:54
pschlute wrote:
With the tech around today both hard and soft I donít see why it should not be possible to have the rear screen display wirelessly available on a smartphone with touch control

Perhaps Pentax have something up their sleeve after all 😀

There is the Connect2 app for remote working which has the advantage of touch screen focus, I use it occasionally on a mini iPad but canít get it to pair up on my iPhone.

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 18:21
I use the app on my Pixel 3 with the K-1 and it works some of the time but it's next to useless when you want to do overhead shots or get low down to do a macro unless you use a tripod and by the time you get into position the subject has usually bu*****d off anyway.

I would say we have a fair mix of Pentax users in this thread and the majority wanted a tilting screen, I just don't understand the reasoning behind not putting one on the new body. If it's on there then not many will refuse to buy because it is (simply don't use it) but the opposite can't be said if it's not there.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

pschlute

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 20:07
Mike-P wrote:
the majority wanted a tilting screen, I just don't understand the reasoning behind not putting one on the new body.

Not just this forum. There are many on other who a disappointed too.

I have said this before but it is relevant. Pentax produce to the wants of their largest market. If the desire there in Japan is for a smaller, lighter aps-c DSLR without a movable screen then the camera should be a success. I hope they have got their market research correct. Time will tell.
Peter

My Flickr page

pschlute

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 20:12
MrB wrote:

I consider it to be quite impertinent to be told to buy a K-1.

Philip

I apologise for my impertinence. There is no need to buy a K1
Peter

My Flickr page

womble

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 20:30
I'm not the right person to comment as I will be getting a Knew for free, but I did find the screen on my Canon G2 very useful at times. It does strike me, sadly, as a poor decision. I'm not sure I'd be in the market for a new camera as my old K-3 still does all I need, and I am reticent to move to a K-1 because of the expense (mainly getting appropriate AF lenses). The one feature of the K-1 I'd love if it is on the Knew is the in-viewfinder levels. But that is me being a bit oddball as usual.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the cameraÖ they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

pschlute

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 20:47
For free !!!!

The viewfinder levels are great.
Peter

My Flickr page

K10D

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 20:49
ilovesaabs wrote:
My K-1 has the screen, it's nice but I don't use it a lot, my D500 has a tilting screen - I hardly use it and when I pick up the D810 I don't think to myself would't it be nice if it had a tilting screen.

Not a dealbreaker for me.

That makes two of us with a common theme.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.