Five in a row - Simon Arron
Posted 06/10/2014 - 21:56
Link
I just love the Sunflower shot, incredible sharpness and super DOF, an overall beautiful image.
The portrait of the lady is a lovely natural study
The portrait of the lady is a lovely natural study
Posted 06/10/2014 - 22:19
Link
Lovely nostalgic feel the portrait, and a great 'knowing look' the lady has.
Phil
Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses
My Flikr Page link
My Flikr Page link
Posted 07/10/2014 - 09:51
Link
simonarron wrote:
@ John Riley: that's a fair point about compositional adjustment, but if memory serves the head of the flower was poking over the top of a fence that I wanted to keep out of the shot, for obvious reasons. When i have time, I'll see if I can find the original image (it should be backed up somewhere). There might be scope for a small tweak.
Just shows how people interpret things in different ways. I assumed John meant take some off the left side.@ John Riley: that's a fair point about compositional adjustment, but if memory serves the head of the flower was poking over the top of a fence that I wanted to keep out of the shot, for obvious reasons. When i have time, I'll see if I can find the original image (it should be backed up somewhere). There might be scope for a small tweak.
Number 2 is a classic. Just look at the detail in the hair, you can see every strand!!
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 07/10/2014 - 10:04
Link
Its a masterful portrait and a great conversion from film to digital. I like the 'period' treatment although even in 1981 sepia would have seemed very retro.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Posted 07/10/2014 - 10:12
Link
bforbes wrote:
Just shows how people interpret things in different ways. I assumed John meant take some off the left side.
Good point, Barrie. I just assumed John would prefer more foliage beneath the flower, because to my eye cropping from the left would upset the balance (and slice out a couple of yellow flowers, which I'd rather keep). Just shows how people interpret things in different ways. I assumed John meant take some off the left side.
And thanks to all for the kind comments about shot #2... although I think one or two of you might be reading a little too much into it! Rachel was a close friend, but I was actually going out with somebody else at the time. That's probably enough social commentary from early 1980s Sheffield. Another pic coming shortly... but I fear it might feature some wheels.
Posted 07/10/2014 - 13:50
Link
#3 - Swinging in the rain

As threatened... Given that much of my everyday output involves motorsport, I thought I'd include one shot apiece on two wheels and four. I wasn't quite sure where to start, given the breadth of choice, but with the British Superbike finale coming up (at Brands Hatch, October 17-19) i thought I'd pick something from last year's corresponding fixture. This was taken as a welcome shaft of sunlight cut through the persistent drizzle, with three bikes turning in to Surtees, the left-hander leading on to the grand prix loop. If I'm panning, I tend to fluctuate between 1/60 and 1/320, depending on circumstance (default starting point is 1/125), but if I'm shooting head-on, or tail-on, I'm happy to let the camera make up its own mind via aperture priority - especially when there's some spray to accentuate the sense of motion. Hence this was taken with K-5 IIs and Sigma 100-300 f4... at 1/2000.
I write far, far more about cars than I do about bikes, but there's something about the latter - more angles, more drama, more physicality, an obvious human element - that makes them particularly engaging to photograph. Thus, after a rare weekend away from racing circuits, I might well attend the classic bike meeting at Snetterton this Saturday, then the British Touring Car Championship finale at Brands Hatch on Sunday...

As threatened... Given that much of my everyday output involves motorsport, I thought I'd include one shot apiece on two wheels and four. I wasn't quite sure where to start, given the breadth of choice, but with the British Superbike finale coming up (at Brands Hatch, October 17-19) i thought I'd pick something from last year's corresponding fixture. This was taken as a welcome shaft of sunlight cut through the persistent drizzle, with three bikes turning in to Surtees, the left-hander leading on to the grand prix loop. If I'm panning, I tend to fluctuate between 1/60 and 1/320, depending on circumstance (default starting point is 1/125), but if I'm shooting head-on, or tail-on, I'm happy to let the camera make up its own mind via aperture priority - especially when there's some spray to accentuate the sense of motion. Hence this was taken with K-5 IIs and Sigma 100-300 f4... at 1/2000.
I write far, far more about cars than I do about bikes, but there's something about the latter - more angles, more drama, more physicality, an obvious human element - that makes them particularly engaging to photograph. Thus, after a rare weekend away from racing circuits, I might well attend the classic bike meeting at Snetterton this Saturday, then the British Touring Car Championship finale at Brands Hatch on Sunday...
Posted 07/10/2014 - 13:58
Link
It's got a colour popped look with all that grey spray and tarmac, black machines and leathers. Three always works well as it does here. Like it
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 08/10/2014 - 09:55
Link
I like the spray and the detail's great, Have you tried converting to to B&W?
However, for me this one is a nearly but not quite. I think that's because with bikes I particularly like the shots from the front so that you can see their eyes through the visors and hence where they are looking.
Phil
However, for me this one is a nearly but not quite. I think that's because with bikes I particularly like the shots from the front so that you can see their eyes through the visors and hence where they are looking.
Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses
My Flikr Page link
My Flikr Page link
Posted 08/10/2014 - 17:38
Link
This is most odd. At 5.25am I thought I'd posted shot #4 - best to get it done before a quick trip to, erm, a racetrack - but I get back to find it's not here. Suspect I must have hit 'preview' rather than 'add', which equates to 'idiot'.
#4 - Not quite as much of an Arron cliché as motor racing, but..

My first contribution to PU featured a swan... and birdlife has been a fairly regular motif ever since. I've posted lots of robin shots, but don't think this one has appeared before. Like the sunflower, it's from WWT Barnes, albeit taken in December 2012 with K-5 and Sigma 150-500. If memory serves, the robin kept getting so close that a 10-20 might have been more useful. I liked the long Sigma, but recently traded it in to help cover the cost of a DA 300 f4, which I haven't regretted. The Sigma needed a new barrel grip at the time I part-exchanged, so SRS sent it away for repairs... and then due to a crossed wire kindly sent it back to me. I did call to point out that it was no longer mine, so I guess it's now in their shop window... or perhaps already being used by someone else to stalk robins.
There's now just one more to go from me: Gary Catterick (K10D) has kindly agreed to pick up the baton in my slipstream.
#4 - Not quite as much of an Arron cliché as motor racing, but..

My first contribution to PU featured a swan... and birdlife has been a fairly regular motif ever since. I've posted lots of robin shots, but don't think this one has appeared before. Like the sunflower, it's from WWT Barnes, albeit taken in December 2012 with K-5 and Sigma 150-500. If memory serves, the robin kept getting so close that a 10-20 might have been more useful. I liked the long Sigma, but recently traded it in to help cover the cost of a DA 300 f4, which I haven't regretted. The Sigma needed a new barrel grip at the time I part-exchanged, so SRS sent it away for repairs... and then due to a crossed wire kindly sent it back to me. I did call to point out that it was no longer mine, so I guess it's now in their shop window... or perhaps already being used by someone else to stalk robins.
There's now just one more to go from me: Gary Catterick (K10D) has kindly agreed to pick up the baton in my slipstream.
Posted 08/10/2014 - 23:19
Link
Lovely Robin shot Simon, nothing to criticise here!
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 09/10/2014 - 08:48
Link
davidstorm wrote:
Lovely Robin shot Simon, nothing to criticise here!
Regards
David
+ 1, it's super.Lovely Robin shot Simon, nothing to criticise here!
Regards
David
Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses
My Flikr Page link
My Flikr Page link
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4934 posts
15 years
Sheffield,
England
Regards
David
Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu
Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs