First new lens in a while - Sigma 17-50 f2.8

paulcliff

Link Posted 28/01/2016 - 17:01
Hi all,

Long time since I posted here!

After years of using the ever reliable 18-55 DAL (and then the DA AL) lens on my KX I have finally purchased myself something new, I am now the proud owner of a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM.

I'm very impressed so far, I've not had much of a chance to actually use the lens as I've been working but the build quality is excellent, it feels lovely and weighty (will take some getting used to on the very small and light KX) and I'm blown away by how quiet the auto-focus is compared to my Pentax lenses.

The whole item feels very pro.

The only let down is the lack of quick-shift, but I guess I can live without it, oh and the fact that the zoom goes in the opposite direction to my Pentax lenses (madness!).

Who else has this lens? what are your experiences with it? and as I'm now completely sold on Sigma lenses....what other ones should I buy in future to complement it? (I already have the Pentax 55-300 DAL)

I'll report back with some shots soon (hopefully).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/cliffo88/513746

Jimd

Link Posted 28/01/2016 - 18:14
I've just got one. It was delivered Tuesday. I haven't had chance to use it yet. Hopefully over the weekend

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 28/01/2016 - 21:07
Before buying my Tamron 17-50/2.8 I tried the older Sigma 18-50/2.8 and wasn't impressed at all. That lens didn't last long on the market before they replaced it with the 17-50 which I hear is much better. I wouldn't mind comparing it directly with the Tamron one day.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

paulcliff

Link Posted 28/01/2016 - 22:36
Jimd wrote:
I've just got one. It was delivered Tuesday. I haven't had chance to use it yet. Hopefully over the weekend

look forward to seeing som images

Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Before buying my Tamron 17-50/2.8 I tried the older Sigma 18-50/2.8 and wasn't impressed at all. That lens didn't last long on the market before they replaced it with the 17-50 which I hear is much better. I wouldn't mind comparing it directly with the Tamron one day.

I'd considered the Tamron but the noisy autofocus put me off, a lot of reviews seem to favour the Sigma over it, but I doubt theres much in it.

The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 looks very nice indeed....but sadly I couldn't quite stretch my budget to that!
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/cliffo88/513746

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 29/01/2016 - 05:50
I'd say the AF in the Tamron is no noisier than the kit lens. Still, I'd like to try a lens with a focus motor some day.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

krustysurfer

Link Posted 16/05/2016 - 10:38
awesome lens
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.