Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Finally taken the plunge

numanoids
Posted 21/03/2012 - 12:05 Link
Well folks, my college course is coming to an end but I've definitely got the bug for more creative photography therefore just been to the SRS website and ordered myself a K5 with 18-55 lens. Next course begins after Easter and is focusing on Studio so should have a few weeks to really get to know my new companion.

I'd been looking at the K-R, but after using my friend's K200 I felt I needed something similar and on reading the reviews the K5 really seems to have ticked all the boxes.

Probably will be on the look out for some accessories. Already saw the 7dayshop remote and others but wondering if anyone's got any suggestions for cheap and cheerful accessories that they feel are worth getting early on.

Thanks

Darren
numanoids
Posted 21/03/2012 - 12:07 Link
I'm actually guessing I should have posted this in the Digital SLR section so apologies for being in the wrong place
johnriley
Posted 21/03/2012 - 12:43 - Helpful Comment Link
It'll do fine here unless you want it moving. Some subjects could probably fit in several sections quite happily.

My feeling is that you don't need any accessories at this point, what you need is a supply of interesting subjects. Spend the money on going places, take lots of pictures and anything you need will become apparent as you go.

Have fun on the journey!
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 21/03/2012 - 13:46 - Helpful Comment Link
Get yourself a spare battery, one of the cheap versions will do (7 day shop have those as well).
mattie
Posted 21/03/2012 - 16:07 - Helpful Comment Link
A cheap tripod may prove useful, depending upon what you like photographing - if you prefer landscapes you'll benefit more from a tripod than if you prefer street or 'candid' photography.

As a throw-away observation, I found having a tripod useful as it made me slow down and think things through a bit more, to consider perspective and framing a little more fully.

Echo John's comments on just getting out there, don't inundate yourself with loads of paraphernalia that weigh you down and suck the fun out (carrying a deadweight bag up hills is no-one's idea of a good day out!), just head out with the camera and enjoy yourself!
numanoids
Posted 21/03/2012 - 16:37 Link
Thanks all for the suggestions. I've got a tripod already so got that covered. Think the 2nd battery is a good idea though and just exploring some good locations.
dfryman
Posted 21/03/2012 - 17:00 Link
As a throw-away observation, I found having a tripod useful as it made me slow down and think things through a bit more, to consider perspective and framing a little more fully.
Mike-P
Posted 21/03/2012 - 17:02 Link
mattie wrote:

dfryman wrote:

Is there an echo on this forum?
giofi
Posted 21/03/2012 - 18:31 Link
Another echo and another new user here: link
Gwyn
Posted 21/03/2012 - 18:47 - Helpful Comment Link
Yes get a tripod - but not a cheap one! Get the very best you can afford - it will last longer than your camera, or you probably.

A second battery, even maybe a third, so one is charging, one is in the camera and one is in your pocket/bag just in case. Lots of memory cards.

Lens cloths are cheap and very useful, plus some sort of sensor cleaner will prove essential in time. I recommend forking out on an Arctic Butterfly (for much the same reasons as the tripod).

Sorry my suggestions are not very cheap but in time will keep you cheerful .
numanoids
Posted 21/03/2012 - 18:56 Link
Mike-P wrote:

Is there an echo on this forum?

i did wonder
numanoids
Posted 21/03/2012 - 18:56 Link
Gwyn wrote:
Yes get a tripod - but not a cheap one! Get the very best you can afford - it will last longer than your camera, or you probably.

A second battery, even maybe a third, so one is charging, one is in the camera and one is in your pocket/bag just in case. Lots of memory cards.

Lens cloths are cheap and very useful, plus some sort of sensor cleaner will prove essential in time. I recommend forking out on an Arctic Butterfly (for much the same reasons as the tripod).

Sorry my suggestions are not very cheap but in time will keep you cheerful .

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks again to everyone, camera is shipping as we speak so working from home tomorrow to receive it.
Stebbutt
Posted 21/03/2012 - 19:30 - Helpful Comment Link
Ask your friend from whom you borrowed the K200D if you can borrow any other bits and bobs they have?

As others have said - just go out and take pictures, review, revisit and experiment.

Simon.
numanoids
Posted 21/03/2012 - 22:52 Link
Stebbutt wrote:
Ask your friend from whom you borrowed the K200D if you can borrow any other bits and bobs they have?

As others have said - just go out and take pictures, review, revisit and experiment.

Simon.

Its an idea but I've kept your, errr his equipment for a while so should look at building up my own but his help has been much appreciated thus far!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.