Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Half Day Bag?

AndrewA
Posted 19/02/2012 - 21:48 Link
I'm looking for a new camera bag, preferably a back pack, that I can take on walks or half days out with my dslr and an additonal lens.

I have a lowepro sling-shot, but don't find it that comfortable to be honest, and have looked at the smaller sized lowepro flipside and fastpacks.

Any recommendations gratefully recieved, thanks.

Andrew
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Edited by AndrewA: 19/02/2012 - 21:49
johnha
Posted 19/02/2012 - 22:34 Link
Hi Andrew,

I've got an old Lowepero Orion Trekker (camera bottom part, daysack top part) which is really useful. The closest I've found in their current range might be the 'Orion DayPack 200'. I found it comfortable, although you need to take it off and rest it on something to get anything out of it.

The Fastbacks look like they would hold a DSLR and lens better with the 'T' shape cutout (which is difficult to arange in my Orion Trekker).

John.
Kipper
Posted 20/02/2012 - 00:45 Link
Hi Andrew,

I recently purchased a Kata 466i from SRS. It sounds similar to the Orion Trekker described above, as its a traditional backpack style and I used mine today on a walk around the local moors. It has a lower dedicated and padded camera section that can take a K-7 with mounted 18-55, plus space for upto 4 more lenses if desired. The longest I usally carry is the Pentax A 35-105, but longer lenses are possible by reconfiguring the velcro sections.

The top storage area is quite small but I kept my fleece in it this afternoon. The bag also has a small tripod net to side which makes a better drinks storage container. There are also other storage compartments for other odds and sodds!
AndrewA
Posted 21/02/2012 - 10:33 Link
Helpful thanks guys.
Andrew

PPG link
Flickr link
geordie01
Posted 21/02/2012 - 10:43 Link
i have just got a Redsnapper rucksack and i must say it does the job for me
i also have a lowepro orion but i think it is a bit in the large size as i am tempted to cram it with gear and it gets to heavy
http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/Verso_Backpack_Shoulder.html
tyronet2000
Posted 21/02/2012 - 12:17 Link
I got the fastpack 350 because I can fit my laptop in the section provided, saves on carying a separate bag.

current inventory at the moment is a K7 + 18-135mm, sigma 105mm, tamron 12-24mm, pentax 18-55, pentax 55-300mm, pentax 50mm f1.7 and in the top section assorted bits and bobs, filters spare cards etc.

As you can see from the pic it's not too heavy for "Mrs Snap, the photographer's wife" to lug around with a few bit of other kit

Comment Image
Regards
Stan

PPG
simonkit
Posted 21/02/2012 - 12:43 Link
I really like the Lowepro Compuday 250 for days out - lightweight, discrete and side access panel - it doesn't have the normal compartments of most backpacks which I also find more flexible

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuDay-Photo%20250,2249.htm
AndrewA
Posted 21/02/2012 - 15:13 Link
I love that picture of Mrs Snap laden with gear!!!
Andrew

PPG link
Flickr link
milamber
Posted 21/02/2012 - 15:24 Link
Kipper wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I recently purchased a Kata 466i from SRS.

I'll second the Kata bags. I have a 467i which, until recently, was only around 59 at Warehouse Express. Very well made with exactly the right balance between space for the camera gear and a day bag. Took it around Asia for 23 days and it still looks like new and was very comfortable.
geordie01
Posted 21/02/2012 - 16:28 Link
Good grief Stan you must be the only person in Newbiggin without a horse
AndrewA
Posted 21/02/2012 - 17:00 Link
geordie01 wrote:

Ha haa, like that
Andrew

PPG link
Flickr link
tyronet2000
Posted 21/02/2012 - 17:17 Link
geordie01 wrote:

No, my neighbour had to sell his. His wife told him he could keep his N*ts or his Nag but not both
Regards
Stan

PPG
runnycustard
Posted 29/02/2012 - 12:11 Link
I second the Kata DR-466i Backpack - I've got the same Lowepro as Mrs Snapper () and when I put them side by side they look the same size yet the Lowepro 'feels' bigger... the Kata is surprisingly comfortable and lightweight as well - you can take the camera padding out and then use it as a normal backpack (you join the two sections together by undoing the zips that separate the two sections) and the insides are yellow which makes it easier to see all the (usually) black bits and bobs of photo gear.

The tripod holder is strange as it wont hold my lightweight travellers tripod at all so as Kipper says... drinks holder perhaps?

it also holds a laptop/ipad (I don't use that if my camera's in there as if I got mugged it would be like winning the lottery!) but a useful option.

I prefer the 'look' of the Kata but that's personal taste - I wont be getting rid of the Lowepro though as it's a good bag.

so many options though... it took ages to pick one (the Kata comes in 3 different sizes I think & and bright yellow water resistant cover which is optional )
Bodies: (digital) K7, Analogue: P30n
Lenses: DA 35mm f2.4, DA 18-.55mm zoom, 28-80mm,
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1
(shh... but I also have a Canon 500D but I only use this for stop motion!)
Tringa
Posted 29/02/2012 - 20:40 Link
If you are looking for something to carry a fairly small amount of gear have a look at these -

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110009

or

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=113324

For slightly more expensive alternatives try here -

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/Bags_And_Backpacks.html

Dave
fourfivesix
Posted 18/03/2012 - 10:28 Link
I use a crumpler half photo bag (warm shower) and find it very comfy, I can get my k200 and two lenses in and room in the top for raincoat and other bits
flickr
link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.