Finally succumbed

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 07/10/2018 - 15:17
tyronet2000 wrote:
Finally given in and bought a mirrorless camera complete with the "kit" lenses. Can't believe the difference in weight from the K-3 (gripped or ungripped). I will still be keeping the K-70, which at the moment has a bellows attached and 2mm microscope objective, but may well trade in the K-3, (7459 shutter count). I won't be leaving Pentax completely so will stay on the forum etc. I have an adapter with which I can use the old lenses with an aperture ring on the mirrorless but as yet not tried out any of those.

I have used my Pentax gear a with a mirrorless Fujifilm for some years and find they work very well together. I used the Fujifilm for a couple of years with only lenses from other systems (mainly Pentax K and M42) and it's perfectly possible to work like that for casual photography. Now I have a few native lenses for it but still enjoy using it with my old Ms, Ks, Takumar etc
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Helpful

Gwyn

Link Posted 07/10/2018 - 16:03
I hope you enjoy your new set-up Stan and if it means you can continue to enjoy photography that has to be a good thing.
If I could afford to I would probably jump ship too. I'm fed up with waiting for something from Pentax. As it is I can't afford to so have to stick with what I have, and I actually end up using my phone more and more rather than lugging stuff.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 07/10/2018 - 16:03

tyronet2000

Link Posted 07/10/2018 - 16:19
Gwyn wrote:
I hope you enjoy your new set-up Stan and if it means you can continue to enjoy photography that has to be a good thing.
If I could afford to I would probably jump ship too. I'm fed up with waiting for something from Pentax. As it is I can't afford to so have to stick with what I have, and I actually end up using my phone more and more rather than lugging stuff.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm not jumping ship entirely Gwyn, just lightening the load. I'll still have a Pentax and lenses in the back of the car when I know I wont have too far to carry it, just in case the weather changes for the worse and of course they fit on my microscopes. The number of images I see on Facebook and the like "Taken by phone" perhaps Pentax should develop one of those?
Regards
Stan

PPG

Jimbro66

Link Posted 07/10/2018 - 22:33
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I have used my Pentax gear a with a mirrorless Fujifilm for some years and find they work very well together. I used the Fujifilm for a couple of years with only lenses from other systems (mainly Pentax K and M42) and it's perfectly possible to work like that for casual photography. Now I have a few native lenses for it but still enjoy using it with my old Ms, Ks, Takumar etc

I have to admit to also joining the mirrorless movement not long ago. Id intended moving to a Pentax K-1ii from my current K-3 but after some consideration concluded that what I actually needed was something lighter and more compact rather than heavier and bulkier. In the absence of a suitable offering from Pentax (always late to the party) I went for an X-E3 with 23mm and 50mm prime lenses. It complements my K-3 rather than replaces it. Image quality of both cameras is equally superb. As John Riley said above, this forum is for discussing Pentax equipment so the only comment I will make about the Fuji is that, despite it being mirrorless, using it is very reminiscent of my earliest Pentax days using a Spotmatic with Super Takumar prime lenses - but not limited to 36 frames

richandfleur

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 00:56
Jimbro66 wrote:
the Fuji is that, despite it being mirrorless, using it is very reminiscent of my earliest Pentax days using a Spotmatic with Super Takumar prime lenses - but not limited to 36 frames

I've felt that way for a bit looking at the Olympus OMD offerings. They look like Pentax cameras of old. If ever a company had a legitimate claim to producing a retro mirrorless camera, Pentax would be right up there. I guess the K-P is there attempt at that?

Algernon

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 10:27
Spill the beans Stan Which camera did you buy?

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

tyronet2000

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 12:11
Algernon wrote:
Spill the beans Stan Which camera did you buy?

--

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III with the two kit lenses. Hasn't got the bells and whistles of the K-3 or K-70 but a great deal lighter to carry about all day. Means I can use my lighter tripod too.
Regards
Stan

PPG

johnriley

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 12:52
Stan, there is a dedicated Olympus forum somewhere and if you sign up they also have an online magazine. I am registered there myself, but offhand don't have the details. It might be helpful to you with more specific backup and info.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Algernon

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 13:07
Very Nice Stan ...... but I still think you would have been better buying a 'Charles Atlas Bodybuilding Course' I paid for one back in the 70's, but the ba$tard never sent me my muscles

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 13:12
If anyone's after a light Pentax DSLR, look no further than the K-S1. It'll eat most m4/3rds for breakfast!

Comparison sites are a little strange though, such as:
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Pentax-K-S1-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-Mark-III
This rates the K-S1 higher in all categories bar one but gives it a lower overall score! Try and make sense of that.

For a long term Olly user I can see the sense to go for a lightweight Olympus option, but for someone who already has a range of Pentax DA lenses and other DSLRs, the lighter Pentax makes a lot of sense.

I purchased a K-S1 because it was a cheap sale offer at the time, now I often take it out with the 16-85 lens in preference to the K-1/K-3/MX-1 and have no regrets. Brilliant underrated little thing for much the same reason some go to m4/3rds. There really is no need to jump ship, and surely a decent Pentax with a 20mp APS-C sensor is better than a smaller 16mp one when it comes to image quality? Best of all it still has a real TTL viewfinder.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 08/10/2018 - 13:23

Aitch53

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 13:31
johnriley wrote:
Stan, there is a dedicated Olympus forum somewhere and if you sign up they also have an online magazine. I am registered there myself, but offhand don't have the details. It might be helpful to you with more specific backup and info.

There is and there is.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

Helpful

tyronet2000

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 14:03
There is and there is. [/quote]

Thanks, was already signed up
Regards
Stan

PPG

tyronet2000

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 14:11
johnriley wrote:

I think this thread has run it's course John so if you want to block any more comments here that is OK with me.

I still have two Pentax cameras and various lenses which I will most likely be keeping as I still want to enter the competitions etc and will make sure before posting it's the "Right" camera which was used. I've stated my reasons for what I have purchased. Obviously I would have preferred something by Pentax but it wasn't to be.
Regards
Stan

PPG

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 17:31
Love my little Canon M5 ... can get the body, 4 lenses and a flash in the same bag as just the K-3II and 16-85mm. Still prefer my Pentax for most things but the Canon is a lot more versatile when travelling light.
. My Flickr

Tyr

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 18:03
M43 is small?

Not always!

K-5 with DA*300 f4 + HD 1.4x TC (630mm f8 equivalent).
OM-D EM1 ii with 300 f4 Pro (600mm f8 equivalent).

The Olympus setup is actually heavier.

This is comparing the Pro lines lenses though. Stick the 45mm f1.8 on any Olympus body and it is tiny! It even gives the Limiteds a run for their money!
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.