Filters cheap or expensive?
Posted 19/04/2011 - 21:46
Link
gartmore wrote:
I'm intrigued by your logic,though "It smashed, leaving minimal damage to the lens itself". Your lens was damaged but you think it might have been worse without the filter?
Basically the filter ring mangled. The front end of the lens body very slightly bent. There was a very slight mark on the front element of the lens - in light of your experience I got away lightly it would seem!alfpics wrote:
Having had a camera strap break and send my camera with tamron 80-210 (we're talking sometime ago!) crashing to onto stone paving , I was glad to have had a UV filter on the front which bore the brunt of the impact. It smashed, leaving minimal damage to the lens itself.
I am happy to have something on the front of lens!
Andy
Opposite experience myself, camera toppled off a gadget bag - a whole 8 inches onto a carpeted floor, and expensive 1A filter smashed all over the front element causing a lot of scratches. Never, ever again will I consider these things as 'protection'. Protection perhaps against inept cleaning.Having had a camera strap break and send my camera with tamron 80-210 (we're talking sometime ago!) crashing to onto stone paving , I was glad to have had a UV filter on the front which bore the brunt of the impact. It smashed, leaving minimal damage to the lens itself.
I am happy to have something on the front of lens!
Andy
I'm intrigued by your logic,though "It smashed, leaving minimal damage to the lens itself". Your lens was damaged but you think it might have been worse without the filter?
Andy
Andy
Posted 19/04/2011 - 22:04
Link
well this pony has been beaten more than once.
two inescapable facts always results:
1) many for and against with personal experiences backing each side. so buying the filter as "Insurance" is a crap shoot at best.
2) most people that do use them, buy them with thier camera or lens, moments after the sales clerk says "Oh and one more thing you might want to add is this... it is cheap insurance for your xxx$$$ investment"
so it's usually too late to save anybody any money by the time the debate starts.
two inescapable facts always results:
1) many for and against with personal experiences backing each side. so buying the filter as "Insurance" is a crap shoot at best.
2) most people that do use them, buy them with thier camera or lens, moments after the sales clerk says "Oh and one more thing you might want to add is this... it is cheap insurance for your xxx$$$ investment"
so it's usually too late to save anybody any money by the time the debate starts.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 19/04/2011 - 23:06
Link
dannyh wrote:
I was interested to read on the comments section of an article titled 5 Kinds of Photography Equipment That Waste Your Money
One of which was cheap UV filters. Comments were to the effect that with them your pictures are not so sharp. I have always used fairly budget filters and i need to replace them and its made me think.
Question is what do you use, are they pretty much the same as expensive filters and are you just paying for the name? Do they adversely affect the image?
I only use them to protect the lens(although im having a lot of fun with CPL at the moment), but if they are affecting my image quality maybe i won't use them at all.
There are generally 2 schools of thought on UV/protective filter. I called them the "pro" school and the "layman" school.I was interested to read on the comments section of an article titled 5 Kinds of Photography Equipment That Waste Your Money
One of which was cheap UV filters. Comments were to the effect that with them your pictures are not so sharp. I have always used fairly budget filters and i need to replace them and its made me think.
Question is what do you use, are they pretty much the same as expensive filters and are you just paying for the name? Do they adversely affect the image?
I only use them to protect the lens(although im having a lot of fun with CPL at the moment), but if they are affecting my image quality maybe i won't use them at all.
The pro school believes that since you spend so much money on a lens, putting any additional glass in front of it will just degrade IQ. So no filter + use hood and lens cap + more care. IQ rules, everything else is secondary.
The layman school believes it's a good idea to protect your investment and that the UV filter will protect the lens front element against damage and stuff. So they use filter. Resale value rules, everything else is secondary.
I'm the layman type. I spend about 10% of a lens cost on a *good* protective filter, knowing that it will degrade IQ but under my layman's eyes, the degradation is insignificant (if not invisible). But it gives me the peace of mind that (a) if my clumsy fingers/some random things scratch/damage/do something to the surface, my lens is still ok and (b) that signals good care to the market when I resell the lens.
Note that keyword is good. Cheap filters completely change the argument because IQ degradation is visible and significant. Genuine good filters have coating to reduce flare and good glass reduces light loss. Some like the Hoya HD series have reinforced glass to make it stronger.
[IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/testdasi/Images/Pentax%20K-5/pk5sig.gif[/IMG]====================================
My Flickr
My PPG
The Rotary Shutter
My Flickr
My PPG
The Rotary Shutter
Posted 20/04/2011 - 00:05
Link
Must admit Alex you are confusing me!
First you say that you should use RAW instead of JPEG to get the best picture quality, because, after all, that is what you pay for, then you happily admit to degrading your Image Quality!!
If you are saying that degrading IQ is acceptable, then why the hatred for JPEG if it is acceptable to others?
The 2 arguments don't seem to go together well and it seems to me that you are contradicting yourself!
For the record I'm a RAW shooting no UV filter for protection guy!
PS. Not having a dig just curious!
First you say that you should use RAW instead of JPEG to get the best picture quality, because, after all, that is what you pay for, then you happily admit to degrading your Image Quality!!
testdasi wrote:
I spend about 10% of a lens cost on a *good* protective filter, knowing that it will degrade IQ but under my layman's eyes, the degradation is insignificant
Surely if ultimate IQ is your goal, knowingly degrading it defeats your objectives?I spend about 10% of a lens cost on a *good* protective filter, knowing that it will degrade IQ but under my layman's eyes, the degradation is insignificant
If you are saying that degrading IQ is acceptable, then why the hatred for JPEG if it is acceptable to others?
The 2 arguments don't seem to go together well and it seems to me that you are contradicting yourself!
For the record I'm a RAW shooting no UV filter for protection guy!
PS. Not having a dig just curious!
Posted 20/04/2011 - 21:15
Link
Unlocker wrote:
Must admit Alex you are confusing me!
First you say that you should use RAW instead of JPEG to get the best picture quality, because, after all, that is what you pay for, then you happily admit to degrading your Image Quality!!
If you are saying that degrading IQ is acceptable, then why the hatred for JPEG if it is acceptable to others?
The 2 arguments don't seem to go together well and it seems to me that you are contradicting yourself!
For the record I'm a RAW shooting no UV filter for protection guy!
PS. Not having a dig just curious!
Resale value trumps everything else (even IQ).
Must admit Alex you are confusing me!
First you say that you should use RAW instead of JPEG to get the best picture quality, because, after all, that is what you pay for, then you happily admit to degrading your Image Quality!!
testdasi wrote:
I spend about 10% of a lens cost on a *good* protective filter, knowing that it will degrade IQ but under my layman's eyes, the degradation is insignificant
Surely if ultimate IQ is your goal, knowingly degrading it defeats your objectives?I spend about 10% of a lens cost on a *good* protective filter, knowing that it will degrade IQ but under my layman's eyes, the degradation is insignificant
If you are saying that degrading IQ is acceptable, then why the hatred for JPEG if it is acceptable to others?
The 2 arguments don't seem to go together well and it seems to me that you are contradicting yourself!
For the record I'm a RAW shooting no UV filter for protection guy!
PS. Not having a dig just curious!
[IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/testdasi/Images/Pentax%20K-5/pk5sig.gif[/IMG]====================================
My Flickr
My PPG
The Rotary Shutter
My Flickr
My PPG
The Rotary Shutter
Posted 20/04/2011 - 21:34
Link
If a cheap Jessops filter is good enough for an £800 prime lens
it's good enough for anything
it's good enough for anything
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 23/04/2011 - 19:16
Link
alfpics wrote:
Having had a camera strap break and send my camera with tamron 80-210 (we're talking sometime ago!) crashing to onto stone paving , I was glad to have had a UV filter on the front which bore the brunt of the impact. It smashed, leaving minimal damage to the lens itself.
I am happy to have something on the front of lens!
Andy
I had the same experience, on holiday in Crete many years ago. Strap broke and Pentax Spotmatic hit the pavement lens-first. I feared the worst, as the lens hood was virtually flattened. A filter (Skylight or pale yellow? can't remember) cracked but held together. The Spotmatic and its 50mm lens were undamaged and I still have both, and they still work perfectly (though not often these days).Having had a camera strap break and send my camera with tamron 80-210 (we're talking sometime ago!) crashing to onto stone paving , I was glad to have had a UV filter on the front which bore the brunt of the impact. It smashed, leaving minimal damage to the lens itself.
I am happy to have something on the front of lens!
Andy
In my case it was the stout Pentax lens hood that absorbed the impact energy. It was quite a job to hammer it more-or-less straight again when I got home. I doubt that I would have been so lucky if I had just had the filter on (and which was on for a real reason) without the lens hood as well.
Martin
Posted 23/04/2011 - 20:23
Link
Totally agree about using the lens hood which provides protection against knocks, not bad at its intended use either
I do have some filters that get put on should it be a particularly dusty/sandy/muddy environment, mainly because they are easier to clean than the lens.
So if its purely for protection cheap'ish ones would be fine as long as the screw threads are decently made
I do have some filters that get put on should it be a particularly dusty/sandy/muddy environment, mainly because they are easier to clean than the lens.
So if its purely for protection cheap'ish ones would be fine as long as the screw threads are decently made
Posted 23/04/2011 - 20:32
Link
OldTaffy wrote:
I had the same experience, on holiday in Crete many years ago.
Martin
My disaster happened on a Greek island...I had the same experience, on holiday in Crete many years ago.
Martin
Andy
Andy
Posted 24/04/2011 - 01:02
Link
Speaking for myself, I would only consider a protection filter if I were going somewhere with nasties that might get onto the front element (e.g. sea spray, blowing sand in desert etc.)
Posted 24/04/2011 - 10:37
Link
MarkTaylor wrote:
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. Mark, I have a rocket blower but haven't yet used it on the sensor. I don't think I will now, until I learn the 'proper technique'. Could you explain what that technique is? I'd be very grateful for instructions.Oggy wrote:
Nice to see rocket blowers - work of the devil - get a panning.
I'd be interested to know why you think the Rocket Blower is the work of the devil? In my opinion the only real problem with it is not the device itself but the fact that it doesn't come with any instructions. When using it to blow dust off your sensor it's easy to blow dust onto your focusing screen - or worse, behind it - if you use it incorrectly. If you use the proper technique there's very little chance of that happening. Hence it should really come with some form of instructions - other than that I don't really see a problem with it.Nice to see rocket blowers - work of the devil - get a panning.
Many thanks,
Chris
Posted 24/04/2011 - 12:37
Link
For me, hard hood always, UV filter never. A hood protects better than a filter and potentially increases rather than decreases IQ.
As for sensor cleaning I would never randomly blow dust and particles around the inside of my camera. Arctic Butterfly For The Win!
As for sensor cleaning I would never randomly blow dust and particles around the inside of my camera. Arctic Butterfly For The Win!
Posted 24/04/2011 - 13:37
Link
I have a Kenko/Hoya filter fitted on to my DA*16-50 since the day I bought the lens which was about 2 years ago. This is a clear filter and it is the Pro 1 D filter. 2 months ago, I accidentally dropped the lens from waist height and it dropped face down. The filter was smashed to bits but no damage to the front element.
There are advantages to putting a filter in the front albeit a good filter. It depends on what you prefer and I have the lens hood there too.
There are advantages to putting a filter in the front albeit a good filter. It depends on what you prefer and I have the lens hood there too.
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8
Posted 25/04/2011 - 13:30
Link
The only filter i use are CPL and those are high quality B+W Käsemann MRC filters so anything but cheap.
I've 3 of those, 1 49mm that fits on the DFA100 and the DA40, and one for ech of the DA* lenses.
I also have a GND Z-Pro set, i forgot the brand at the moment
For protection i've almost always the hood on my lenses and a hood also boost the contrast since it prevents flares so delivering better image quality.
Here is a read about filters as protection and the conclusion is that with todays tough coatings that they only degrade your image quality since they don't give much extra protection.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml
I've 3 of those, 1 49mm that fits on the DFA100 and the DA40, and one for ech of the DA* lenses.
I also have a GND Z-Pro set, i forgot the brand at the moment
For protection i've almost always the hood on my lenses and a hood also boost the contrast since it prevents flares so delivering better image quality.
Here is a read about filters as protection and the conclusion is that with todays tough coatings that they only degrade your image quality since they don't give much extra protection.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



2406 posts
17 years
Worthing
A filter does not absorb any significant impact energy. What it does is stores it then releases it very suddenly and probably fires sharp glass fragments at the lens.