Film counter not working

kirstlaw

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 15:49
Hey,

I recently purchased a Pentax ME Super film camera. When I started taking photos the film counter worked and counted up to about 6. But when I took the camera out the next day to take more photos I noticed it had gone back to below 0. Once I started taking photos it counted up again, only to go back once I was done again. It is taking the photos fine and winding up fine when I am using it.

My question is will the film counter not working be affecting my photos at all? Will it still be taking the photos and once I fill the roll, will it rewind as normal, or will this affect that? I opened the back of the camera to have a look and the film appeared to be winding around as normal. Also, any clues on how I can fix it? The person I bought it off said this never happened to them.

Thanks,

pschlute

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 16:17
It won't affect anything except you wont know how many frames you have taken. It is just a clockwork counter that is reset by opening the back.
Peter

My Flickr page

Helpful

kirstlaw

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 16:22
Thanks, Peter. Any idea if it is an easy fix?

pschlute

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 17:18
kirstlaw wrote:
Thanks, Peter. Any idea if it is an easy fix?

No idea sorry.
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 17:48
Just make sure it is winding on correctly and not overlapping exposures.

Can't think how it could reset the counter without opening the camera back and the film removed.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 12/11/2019 - 17:50

danofmk

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 19:38
Presumably the spring that resets it is too sensitive/loose and is reseting at times when it shouldn't.

I'm afraid though I don't know how to try and fix that. It would involve taking the top of the camera off, which isn't easy.
Last Edited by danofmk on 12/11/2019 - 19:38

MikeInDevon

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 21:05
Here's a link to the service manual for the original ME not the ME Super, I don't know how different the two camera's workings are but it may be of some help.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me_service_sm.pdf

Cheers
Mike

MikeInDevon

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 21:06
MikeInDevon wrote:
Here's a link to the service manual for the original ME not the ME Super, I don't know how different the two camera's workings are but it may be of some help.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me_service_sm.pdf

Cheers
Mike

Just found the one for the ME Super, see link below:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf

theonenadeem

Link Posted 13/11/2019 - 13:26
You could sell it , with the fault and buy a camera , with a CLA.
Less chance of faults ocurring.

laurencea

Link Posted 27/12/2019 - 19:47
i have so many cameras with broken counters i just shoot until it won't wind on. if the rest of the camera is fine, why worry?
Pentax k100d, k30d 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.