Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

File Recovery from Formatted SD Cards

Jabof33
Posted 07/08/2013 - 17:53 Link
Hi.

Has anyone done the stupid?

I mean putting back IN the SD card they have just taken OUT to load on the computer and formatting it BEFORE checking which one you had in your hand!

HELP!!??*$""&^

My local LCE (where I bought both my K5 & K5 iiS) tell me that they have a method that MIGHT work (but it will cost me £25.00)!!!!

I know clever forensic computer programmers CAN recoiver all sorts of hidden data, even when something has been formatted, but I am not one of those!

If any one knows a method I and my pics of Pershore Abbey in the 'Golden Hour' at sunset and the various Swans, Geese, Ducks, Moorhens, Gulls and Pigeons I was capturing today in Evesham, will be eternally grateful.

El Stupido - aka Jabof33 (Randal Williams)
Randal Williams
JohnX
Posted 07/08/2013 - 18:01 - Helpful Comment Link
Don't panic!

There'll be other suggestions along soon, but try PC Inspector from Convar - it'll recover .jpg's. link

Also try 'Zero Assumption Recovery' link
Gamka
Posted 07/08/2013 - 18:11 - Helpful Comment Link
It will depend on which type of format you actually did - a "Quick" which tends to be default, or a "Full". I would guess, from your post, that it was an in camera format which might be a "Quick".

Quick - overwrites part of the File Table but leaves the data intact.

Full - totally erases the file table and also overwrites parts of the data.

RescuePro will recover most from a Quick format. I have copied data off a cord then formatted and used it to read the data still there. It takes a while to build up all of the files but it works.
Edited by Gamka: 07/08/2013 - 18:13
michaelblue
Posted 07/08/2013 - 18:54 - Helpful Comment Link
I've found this works very well.....and it's free
Regards,
Michael
snappychappy
Posted 07/08/2013 - 19:25 - Helpful Comment Link
Have used Recuva many times and found it very reliable.
Jabof33
Posted 07/08/2013 - 23:44 Link
Hi to all who are helping/have helped.

Too late to try anything today, but will respond when I have looked at the suggestions.

My format was indeed in camera and I only shoot raw.

Regards,

Randal Williams
Randal Williams
Gamka
Posted 08/08/2013 - 00:28 - Helpful Comment Link
Rescue Pro works on RAW.
fritzthedog
Posted 08/08/2013 - 08:48 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Randal

In reply to your specific question - yes I have

If others suggested do not work - I managed to recover 100% using this free software

link

Good luck

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Jabof33
Posted 14/08/2013 - 21:01 Link
Special thanks to John X - Zero Assumption Recovery re-built all my files.

It creates them with a '.tif' file indicator, but when I opened them in Elements, I was pleasantly surprised to find the RAW workspace before me!

The rest, as they say, is just a load of work!.

Thanks to you all and I will try all the others, so that I get a full picture.

Once done, I will report my findings so that others may benefit, should anyone prove as stupid as me!

Regards

Randal Williams
Randal Williams
Gamka
Posted 15/08/2013 - 11:19 Link
Maybe you need a workflow ...

Take card from camera (or wallet of used ones)
Place into reader
Insert reader in PC
Copy Files to directory
Check that number of files is correct
Check a couple of RAW and JPG files
Format card
Remove reader
Remove card
Replace in camera
Jabof33
Posted 15/08/2013 - 19:57 Link
Thanks for that, Gamka

I have a *istD with 14000 shutter actuations, a K10D with 22,000 shutter actuations, a K5 with 28,000 shutter actuations and now a K5 iiS which I am using currently (about 1000 shots so far, including the pics on the card I formatted).

I think I have already worked out my 'workflow' by now.

This was simple - a stupid mistake (& the first time I have ever made it - I also hope the last).

Thanks again to all with helpful support.

Randal Williams
Randal Williams
johnriley
Posted 15/08/2013 - 23:02 Link
That workflow has one item misplaced - the card should be formatted in the camera, not in the card reader.
Best regards, John
Jabof33
Posted 15/08/2013 - 23:53 Link
Just a note regarding copying files.

I picked up a tweak from other members of Vale of Evesham Camera Club - don't delete pics in camera, as this can corrupt the card.

The best solution is leave all your pics on the card and copy all of them to your PC/Laptop/Tablet. You can bin any you don't want from the file on the computer.

I usually check 6-10 files at random after copyover, to try to see if I have any corrupted, before I delete them from the card. I always delete on the PC, as this avoids the possibility of corruption on your card in camera - it has happened to both CF and SD cards.

In any event you can open Pentax DCU - the dreaded RED spring clip tells you if any files have a problem.

You then format the empty card in camera and carry on as normal.

Since doing this, I have neve lost a pic I did not want to throw away (apart from the mistake at the head of this thread!)

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Randal Williams
Randal Williams
bychan
Posted 22/08/2013 - 18:25 Link
snappychappy wrote:
Have used Recuva many times and found it very reliable.

Another thumbs-up for Recuva, good luck
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
Jabof33
Posted 24/08/2013 - 19:40 Link
Hi all,

I promised to get back to you with the results of my tests.

I have tried all the software suggested.

Recuva does not find j-peg, tif or dng files, but will find other types of image file.

Photo Recovery Pro works fine, recovering dng files and giving a visual preview,but won't restore them unless you activate the software, presently costing US $ 49.99!

Pandora works well, but does not see dng files. It does recover j-peg and is a freeware program.

MJM photo recovery has a bug and won't load.

Puran File recovery works exceptionally well and gives me original dng file designations, as saved from my K5 iiS.

As previously stated Zero Assumption Recovery works well too, although my preference is for Puran.

Both these last 2 programs are Freeware.

None of the others were of interest to me, because they all needed payment before activation and will not recover the files until you pay.

One gem I did find was GU3.

This is an overall utility which looks after all aspects of computer cleanliness and provides security checks for malware and viruses. It has a registry cleaner among other useful tools.

I have not explored all of the tools available, but so far I have not found a file recovery utility.

If I do, I will report it.

GU3 is Freeware and a very useful toolbox.

Regards,

Randal Williams
Randal Williams

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.