Farne Isles

Zed

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 19:46
Every year something crops up and I don't get there. Planning well in advance this time so..... Has anyone been to the Farne Isles for Puffins? What's the best time to go there and which boat company can you recommend?
Ta very much.
'Some say, life is. Some say, what is life?'
Bad Company

fritzthedog

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 11:42
Hi Zed

Best time seems to be June and can recommend Billy Shiel's boats "Glad Tidings"- can not say he is the best as have not tried any others - but very good in my experience

regards
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Blythman

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 11:48
Sounds like thats your Father's Day present sorted

Was toying with suggesting it for mine. End of June, beginning of July
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Zed

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 13:08
Thanks lads. It's one of those things I set out to try every year, then never get. Looks like the end of June then.
Bad Company

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 13:11
We'll look forward to the photos .

HowardJ

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 13:54
I went in June 2009 with Billy Shiels, it was a great experience, I'd love to go back. One drawback - not enough time on the island. Here is a link to some of my images from that visit -

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/one-from-the-farne-islands-13351/p-0#comm...

and this is the advice I got when I asked a similar question

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/some-farne-islands-advise-please-12235/p-...

As Gwyn says - look forward to seeing your photos.

Hope that helps.

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

geordie01

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 15:22
i have kayaked the farnes dozens of times over the the last 20 years.
may to end of july best time for seabirds not just puffins but razor bills and guillemots one of the best viewing points is the pinnacles on the south end of staple island. there is a large colony of nesting terns on inner farne but the wardens get a bit shirty if you go near them. dont know much about the trip boats though except that glad tidings 2 pulled me out of the sea when i had a "critical" moment in staple sound 6 years ago.

bretbysteve

Link Posted 15/01/2011 - 20:26
We went two years ago. As usual we had our (very well behaved) Border collie. We asked the boatman are dogs allowed on the Isles, he said yes. When we arrived we found they are only allowed on the slipway and no further! We had to take it in turns to pop around the isle whilst the other looked after the mutt on the slipway...NOT happy bunnies.

Technoblurb

Link Posted 15/01/2011 - 21:08
I can recommend Billy Shiels boat as well, make sure you take protective head wear, my leather hat was so Tern proof that they used it as a perch instead. You will find the time on the island a bit limited but well worth it. You can get surprisingly close to the puffins as they run across the designated walk way, Pufflings usually stay in the burrows.

If you have time on your visit, a trip out to Coquet island is worth while from Amble, landing is not permitted on the island but the price is only 4.50 using Puffin Cruses and Amble has the best fish and chips, but I am bias.

Graham

Zed

Link Posted 17/01/2011 - 13:20
Had a look at Billy Shiels on the net, looks promising! At least the parking's free!
Bad Company
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.