Some Farne Islands advise please

HowardJ

Link Posted 23/05/2009 - 18:51
We, my wife and I and my sister-in-law and her husband, have booked a cottage for a week in Seahouses, Northumberland at the end of June. I(alone) am very keen to take a trip out to one of the Farne Islands to see the birds and the seals, so my first question is - which is best Inner Farne or Staple Island? In my research I have read that a telephoto lens is not really essential as the birds are so close, so my next questions are, is this right and will my 16-45 and 55-300 be good enough? Third question - which of the companies offering boat trips out of Seahouses is the best?

I am sound of mind(some may question that) and limb but not very fit, so Staple Island could be negotiated - just.

Look forward to your replies and thanks in advance.

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

fatspider

Link Posted 23/05/2009 - 19:18
Cant help with the Islands as theyre always out of season when I go, but you MUST have a "Kipper in a Bun" from Craster just down the road, and no doubt Ken (beginer) will tell you the same about the butchers pork pies in Bambro'
I can also reccomend the Ship Inn in Seahouses for food (and beer)
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

johnriley

Link Posted 23/05/2009 - 19:22
I can't comment in detail on the two islands, but we did visit Inner farne and it's very negotiable and just covered in birds. The two lenses you have will be fine. For good close ups I think you do need the 55-300mm.

There are lots of companies offering trips and you just have to choose one and see what happens.
Best regards, John

HowardJ

Link Posted 11/06/2009 - 15:53
impotentspider wrote:
Cant help with the Islands as theyre always out of season when I go, but you MUST have a "Kipper in a Bun" from Craster just down the road, and no doubt Ken (beginer) will tell you the same about the butchers pork pies in Bambro'
I can also reccomend the Ship Inn in Seahouses for food (and beer)

Thanks for that, however, there is a problem - I don't like fish but the other three will probably sample the Craster kippers. We could very well take up your recommendations for Ship Inn. Thanks.

johnriley wrote:
I can't comment in detail on the two islands, but we did visit Inner farne and it's very negotiable and just covered in birds. The two lenses you have will be fine. For good close ups I think you do need the 55-300mm.

There are lots of companies offering trips and you just have to choose one and see what happens.

Thanks John for that advice, I have come to conclusion that the Inner Farne is best for me, I can't see myself scrambling over the rocks on Staple Island. I will do further research on the boat trips.

Thank you both.

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 11/06/2009 - 20:23
Howard,

Have a look at this site http://www.photographersonsafari.com/pages/farne.htm

Its a photograhic safari company that does workshops to the Farne Islands to see the birds and the seals. It will give you a idea of the dates they use. I am not advertising on their behalf

Jeanette

bforbes

Link Posted 11/06/2009 - 23:02
You need to check your dates. some of the islands are closed at certain times to protect the wildlife. This might help link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

paullucas

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 03:13
Oh my gosh!!! I love the Farne Islands!!!

No you don't need a super long lens but it does help if you want to get the shyer birds. If you see my portfolio you will see one of the puffins that was taken on there.

I have been a few times and have always gone with Billy Shiel. I suppose all the boat people offer the same things but he is well known,

I was thinking about going up to Northumberland again this year, I think I will as you have got me thinking about it again

Paul

Technoblurb

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 08:00
You should be ok with the lenses you have, don't forget to take a raincoat, hat and possibly an umbrella, bird droppings and pecking are inevitable.

bretbysteve

Link Posted 14/06/2009 - 16:07
One tip...do not take a dog. We got on a boat with our border collie, the boat owner said nothing, then when we landed we only then found out that dogs can go no further than the jetty, so we had to take turns holding the dog on a lead on this sloping 20ft jetty whilst the other went off around the Isle...the tiny church was lovely though.

HowardJ

Link Posted 18/06/2009 - 21:38
Thank you all for the tips, interested about this - "the tiny church was lovely though" as I like old churches and I was not aware that there was a church on the island.

I'm taking a plastic bag with me to cover the camera as I doubt if the K10D is bird-poo proof

Off on Sturday and am looking forward to the holiday very much, just hope the weather is better than it is here at the moment - thundering and heavy rain.

Howard
Cymru Am Byth
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.