Eye piece blanking

davidstorm

Link Posted 30/03/2013 - 18:23
johnboy-22 wrote:
I presume if you use live view it will not make any difference

It will make a difference regardless of whether or not you use Live View. You will still get some light leakage if you don't cover the viewfinder.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

womble

Link Posted 31/03/2013 - 08:43
The Pentax ESII (1973-1975) has a built-in viewfinder blind to solve this problem. The only problem with it is the panic that ensues when you have forgotten about it and are wondering why the viewfinder is completely dark.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

DrOrloff

Link Posted 31/03/2013 - 13:03
sussexwolf wrote:
DrOrloff wrote:
Blu tack for me.

I would be worried that Blu Tac might damage the Anti Reflection coating on the eye peice

It doesn't touch it, adheres to the ledge.

Woolly hat solution sounds good too, ideal for Northumberland in summer.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 31/03/2013 - 13:05

JAK

Link Posted 31/03/2013 - 14:55
This was a similar discussion from about two years ago with examples:

link

John K
John K

Roscoe

Link Posted 31/03/2013 - 16:53
davidstorm wrote:
I don't use the Penjtax eyepiece as it doesn't fit the K-5. I've made one out of cardboard covered with black electrical tape and it works perfectly.

Light will enter the eyepiece if you're doing long exposure shots so it is important that you keep it covered.

Regards
DAvid

Hi David,
It can be a pain to fit, because the rubber eyepiece needs to be removed first of all to gain access to the mounting slots, but unless the eyepiece of the K5 is different to the K10D,and the K20D,it should fit!
I have 2 covers as I had one with my MZ7, and one with my K20D.
Kindest regards,

Peter.

johnriley

Link Posted 31/03/2013 - 18:45
It does fir the K-5, the fitting has been the same since the M series of cameras in 1976.
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 31/03/2013 - 22:54
johnriley wrote:
It does fir the K-5, the fitting has been the same since the M series of cameras in 1976.

Thanks for the info John, I've never felt like removing the rubber surround, it's easier to make a blanking piece that slips under the rubber so no need to take it off.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

nanhi

Link Posted 03/08/2013 - 18:46
Covering the eyepiece while the K-5 is on a tripod does improve the exposure. I just use a folded handkerchief over the viewfinder as it is a pain using the supplied plastic blind that fits the eye piece. My Leica SLR had a built in metal blind behind the viewfinder.
I was recently shooting a group photo indoors with relatives using the Pentax Remote. We were seated on a sofa facing the window. The camera was on a tripod with the viewfinder facing the window. The camera was set to TAv mode at f8 and 1/20 sec, ISO 400.
The first shot was under exposed. So I covered the viewfinder with my handkerchief. The rest of the shots were perfectly exposed.

McGregNi

Link Posted 04/08/2013 - 14:17
I asked a similar question a while back - here's a link to the resulting discussions link

One question though - further up it was said that in LV you would still need the viewfinder covered. Is it not the case that that in LV mode the viewfinder is blanked out (by the back of the mirror ?) - it goes completely black, so could there really still be light leakage ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

doingthebobs

Link Posted 04/08/2013 - 17:37
If you use LV in a not too bright place, shine a bright led torch into the eyepiece only and you can watch the exposure change!

The viewfinder may look completely dark when in LV but light can still get around the same mirror that is in the same place as when taking long exposures. Must admit I often forget to cover the eyepiece when using the remote or timer and I know it makes a difference.
Bob

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 05/08/2013 - 23:43
As detailed elsewhere, cut up credit card does it for me...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.