Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Evil Panasonic

Don
Posted 11/07/2011 - 14:22 Link
Comment Image
link link
That I believe is the future evolution of the d-slr and camcorder merging...
Panasonic is patenting a design, I've been saying for years, Pentax should adopt as part of a k-mount Evil cam system...
I hope pentax does make a k5 or kr based evil cam like this....soon...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 11/07/2011 - 14:27
johnriley
Posted 11/07/2011 - 14:31 Link
I don't like that at all - not very elegant. I'm not sure how it can be an advantage as the camera will still need a bag to carry it along with its accessories. It might as well be a DSLR.
Best regards, John
Pentaxophile
Posted 11/07/2011 - 14:38 Link
Thread title made me think of

Comment Image
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Pentaxophile
Posted 11/07/2011 - 14:41 Link
johnriley wrote:
I don't like that at all - not very elegant. I'm not sure how it can be an advantage as the camera will still need a bag to carry it along with its accessories. It might as well be a DSLR.

Don
Posted 15/07/2011 - 14:23 Link
link
Comment Image

this I believe will be the form factor of the cameras that will ultimately kill off a lot of d-slr and video camera market segments.
Pentax please hear this:
make one from the k-5 now.
Edited by Don: 15/07/2011 - 14:24
Don
Posted 18/07/2011 - 16:09 Link
one more reason to go evil:
link
and adaptor with pentaprism is possible for sony nex systems... POSSIBLE...
all I'm sayin is possible...
think about that...
johnriley
Posted 18/07/2011 - 16:14 Link
Yes, it's possible.

When Rollei had TLR cameras and Leica their full rangefinder system there were all sorts of weird and wonderful add-ons and gadgets but none of them really were all that elegant. Nor could they disguise the shortcomings of those systems.

They were swept away by the SLR design.

Having to buy a pentaprism add-on is just going back 60 years into that world which was waiting for the SLR. But we have the DSLR now, so we don't need these sort of adapters any more.
Best regards, John
Don
Posted 18/07/2011 - 17:37 Link
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Don wrote:
Panasonic is patenting a design.

What are they patenting? Can't be the interchangeable lens system as Canon have that already?

look at the style of that camera... closer to a video cam in design, than slr, but it is convertable with a pull out grip... very clever way to make the camera holdable to which ever buyers intended use..
Anvh
Posted 18/07/2011 - 17:46 Link
It looks bigger then a DSLR, why couldn't they just fit a mirror in it as well?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Pentaxophile
Posted 18/07/2011 - 18:05 Link
Think of it this way. DSLR's take amazing video footage, but are not great ergonomically for video.

This is coming from the other angle: a video camera that will also be able to take DSLR quality stills. But it will not be great ergonomically for stills picture taking. So depending on which you value more, you will be able to compromise on stills or video ease-of-use with your choice of device.

Why would anyone want to put a mirror in such a machine?
Don
Posted 20/07/2011 - 17:43 Link
more people asking the same questions as me..
link
Quote:
This article revolves around the supposition that a reflex mirror camera design, fundamental to today's DSLR cameras, is one that is out of date. Sooner or later the expense and disadvantages of mirror-based SLR cameras will force camera makers to embrace new technologies to make less bulky and cheaper to manufacture, potentially more reliable, and more versatile system cameras that do away with the mirror-based reflex design. And there is already plenty of evidence to support this in the form of the Compact System Camera (CSC).

Don
Posted 21/07/2011 - 23:05 Link
samsung agrees with me on one point:
Quote:
Q: Samsung is currently manufacturing both compact system still cameras and dedicated video cameras – do you think that in a few years we will only have one type of camera for both tasks?

A: This is a sensitive question. If you look at compact system cameras today, they already have very good video quality. They actually have several advantages over most dedicated video cameras – they can change the lens and have bigger sensors. On the other hand the sensor in compact system cameras is designed for stills with emphasis on colors and dynamic range. Video camera sensors on the other hand are designed to capture fast movement. However I do think that you are correct and there will eventually be only one type of product.

link
the next obvious question will be... "Can that device kill off the d-slr market?" or at least diminish it to "Niche" status?
Pentaxophile
Posted 22/07/2011 - 00:30 Link
Or will the next gen of DSLR type cameras kill off the video camera? I still think there are important ergonomic advantages either way, depending what you're doing.
Don
Posted 22/07/2011 - 00:42 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Or will the next gen of DSLR type cameras kill off the video camera? I still think there are important ergonomic advantages either way, depending what you're doing.

the sony nex vg 10
Comment Image

same apsc sensor as many slrs and nex evils....

as a switch hitter I have to tell you..... the camcorder design IS the better format for both stills and video...
still cameras were never meant to be held steady for long periods of time, video cams are.
once on a tripod, of course, moot point... but... I assure you, my hdr hc1 is easier to hold steady than my sr12 and my sr12 is easier to hold steady than my kr...... and steady is not counterproductive for shooting stills... so if you need both video and stills.... that nex vg10 is the better camera. tragic for me that it does not have a k-mount...
Don
Posted 22/07/2011 - 00:46 Link
if I were starting today and wanted to buy my first camera intending to shoot multimedia at events, the nex vg 10 and nex5 and a couple lenses, would likely be my first choice.

I'm with Pentax because of a long term commitment in lenses..... and a passion for the brand that developed many years ago.... take away that... Pentax likely would not have my business today.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.