Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Evil Panasonic

aliengrove
Posted 22/07/2011 - 02:36 Link
I think the DSLR's days are numbered.....it's an archaic design and as for us old farts who think we know what a camera should look like, well, we are not going to inherit the earth. Hybrid designs make a lot of sense. Where Pentax has the advantage is in their committment to backwards compatability. Show me a hybrid video/stills camera that can do a high quality 20mp photograph or full 1020 HD video that will take my old manual focus lenses and I will probably buy it.
Don
Posted 22/07/2011 - 02:39 Link
aliengrove wrote:
I think the DSLR's days are numbered.....it's an archaic design and as for us old farts who think we know what a camera should look like, well, we are not going to inherit the earth. Hybrid designs make a lot of sense. Where Pentax has the advantage is in their committment to backwards compatability. Show me a hybrid video/stills camera that can do a high quality 20mp photograph or full 1020 HD video that will take my old manual focus lenses and I will probably buy it.

YES! preferably made by Pentax! With a standard k-mount! OPTIONAL EVF or optical finder, or back lcd with live view.... this is what I'm sayin!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 22/07/2011 - 02:40
Smeggypants
Posted 22/07/2011 - 03:33 Link
aliengrove wrote:

Hybrid design evokes "jack of all trades, master of none" to me.
What is ergonomic to me as a still shooter isn't going to be the same as what a movie shooter is going find comfortable.

I have no interest in shooting video. If I did I would buy a machine that was optimised for such. What I don't want is a still shooting machine that is comprised to accommodate video shooting.

IMO we shouldn't homogenise functionality. if there are three types of shooter
1] still
2] movie
3] still and movie

then let there be three types of product to cater for all.

Quote:
I think the DSLR's days are numbered. .... Hybrid designs make a lot of sense.

I don't agree at all. Hybrid designs only appeal to those in #3 above.

Those who are only into stills, or those who are only into video, are going to choose the equipment optimised to their chosen medium.

Why would anyone into photography choose a hybrid machine. and the same with anyone into video.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
K10D
Posted 22/07/2011 - 07:09 Link
Don wrote:
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic is patenting a design.

What are they patenting? Can't be the interchangeable lens system as Canon have that already?

look at the style of that camera... closer to a video cam in design, than slr, but it is convertable with a pull out grip... very clever way to make the camera holdable to which ever buyers intended use..

Or a rotaional grip? link

Lots of hybrid design ideas about.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Don
Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:00 Link
this : link is another nail in the d-slr coffin....

evil cameras will eventually kill d-slrs.
I hope Pentax jumps into the fray sooner rather than later with an aps-c evil/mirrirless class camera....
johnriley
Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:04 Link
Don't think it makes that much difference Don, it's just a clunky way of adapting two systems. I'm not fond of the SLT design anyway, just another surface to keep clean.

The Sony A33 and A55 that I had a look at were pretty good though and I could use the EVF, but wouldn't by preference. A K-r is better and faster.
Best regards, John
Don
Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:15 Link
johnriley wrote:
Don't think it makes that much difference Don, it's just a clunky way of adapting two systems. I'm not fond of the SLT design anyway, just another surface to keep clean.

The Sony A33 and A55 that I had a look at were pretty good though and I could use the EVF, but wouldn't by preference. A K-r is better and faster.

that is why I bought a kr, you are correct right now, but in the not too distant future.... I predict evf and hybrid adaptors like the one I linked to will surpass the pentaprism finder... and they'll be better AND cheaper.

imagine a system similar to Ricoh's modular system, with an adaptor like the one I linked to above, with a kmount.... you build your camera to your liking, and have the option of tearing it down to alter it for different jobs (ie video specific or stills specific) and only upgrade one peice ata time...
Edited by Don: 13/08/2011 - 14:18
Don
Posted 24/08/2011 - 16:33 Link
Dear
Pentax... I am currently planing to buy two of these:
link
Quote:
Effective 16.1megapixel Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor
AVCHD Full HD video plus 50p and 25p progressive modes
DSLR-quality 16 megapixel stills with RAW support*
Improved audio with Quad Capsule Spatial Array microphone and stereo/5.1 sound recording
Manual controls and revised ergonomics with new hand grip, Assignable Dial and dedicated function keys
7.5cm (3”) Xtra Fine LCD touch-screen with Tru-Black technology
Widened choice of E-mount lenses

there is a k-mount adaptor available for my old m lenses....
and one of these:
link
in September 2012 (providing the Wedding imaging industry picks up enough) after which time I will probably switch brands entirely.

I hope with all my heart (and all my current lenses and flash units) that there is a Pentax k-mount alternative for me by then. Be sad to go, but the time to accept the Video/still camera convergence is right now, and the nex vg20 is the way of the future. Don't miss this train and show up a day late and dollar short to the future.
Edited by moderator: 30/08/2011 - 10:41

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.