Electro/Mech cable release adaptor?

xbow

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 16:04
I have a double cable release I'd like to use for Macro work again but my K5 obviously only has an electrical release socket. Does anyone know if you can buy an electro/mechanical release adaptor? I can easily make one up with a 3.5 jack plug lead and a micro switch but not worth messing around if they are commercially available.

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

johnriley

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 16:06
The alternative is to use the 2 second delayed action. No cost involved and it raises the mirror before the exposure, thus elminating any vibration.
Best regards, John

xbow

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 16:23
I want to use the double release with a "Z" ring so the camera is "synched" to the aperture shutting down on the lens John.

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

mowog

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 16:56
You can buy a velco backed strap that has an old fashioned cable release socket on it. It is fastened around the camera, with the socket over the camera's shutter button. A conventional cable release can then be screwed in and the shutter tripped with the cable. They are primarily for compact cameras, but I suppose will work OK with an SLR, too. I got mine from Amazon. It is made by Kaiser, I think.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Cable-Release-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000CDGWDE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292778059&sr=8-3-fkmr0
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.
Last Edited by mowog on 19/12/2010 - 17:02

mowog

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 17:07
OK... Sorry, I made a bit of a mess of that link.

Actually, It's made by Hamma. Ten quid, including a cable release.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

Algernon

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 18:25
I think you have the wrong gizmo there Mowog , probably because
the OP hasn't given much details about what equipment he will be
using, such as a Pentax Bellows with matching double cable release?

It will have to be homemade anyway with a push button or microswitch.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Don

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 18:31
Algernon wrote:
I think you have the wrong gizmo there Mowog , probably because
the OP hasn't given much details about what equipment he will be
using, such as a Pentax Bellows with matching double cable release?

It will have to be homemade anyway with a push button or microswitch.

I agree... I'd look at going all electronic with a switch for the camera body, and a servo or solenoid for the bellows...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

mowog

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 18:49
Oh!.. I understood it, that he wants to use a double cable release, with one cable going to a lens on bellows (some old lenses can be stopped down with a cable release, screwed into the side of the lens), and the other cable going to the camera. The cable that comes with the Hamma strap unscrews. It's a standard fitting, then his own can be screwed in.

Obviously misunderstood. Sorry..

Mowog.

Algernon

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 19:13
mowog wrote:
Oh!.. I understood it, that he wants to use a double cable release, with one cable going to a lens on bellows (some old lenses can be stopped down with a cable release, screwed into the side of the lens), and the other cable going to the camera. The cable that comes with the Hamma strap unscrews. It's a standard fitting, then his own can be screwed in.

Obviously misunderstood. Sorry..

You might be right yet!

Been mooching around flickr and found one from gregmol (user on here)
he shows how to do it with the Pentax Bellows which stops down
the lens from the supporting post link
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

xbow

Link Posted 19/12/2010 - 19:19
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be using a "Z" ring (which takes one of the two cables) between a BPM bellows unit and the lens. The Z ring is Canon FD fitting for which I have several old Canon lenses. It should be easy enough to make a simple alloy component that accepts a cable release actuating on a microswitch connected to my K5 with a 3.5mm jack plug. It's a bit cold to go out in the workshop at the moment but I may post a pic of the Gizmo when it's done in case anyone else needs to make one.

Vic.

Thanks for the link Algi, I'm not sure what I have in mind will look so neat!
K5, LightRoom 5
Last Edited by xbow on 19/12/2010 - 19:23
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.