Duxford and my K3.

merryhampton

Link Posted 03/07/2015 - 23:05
I'm still getting to grips with my K3, and a visit to Flying Legends at Duxford is fast approaching. (Next Weekend!). I'm hoping that you fellow aviation 'togs can help me out with the best af settings to use? I haven't as yet had time to experiment with small aircraft although it is fine with airliners although, as is obvious they are much bigger, fly predictably and are much slower than a Spitfire. I'll be using a Sigma 100-300 f4 with a 1.4x converter.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

andy_bell

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 10:29
There are quite a few threads on this subject, but I can give you a few pointers which helped me to get some nice shots....
Firstly I'd be inclined to drop the 1.4x converter, use the speed of you glass better, the AF will operate better without it, you can always crop your resulting shots.
For the legends I would use shutter priority with a setting of around 200, this will give you optimum propeller quality, you could also use TAV and let the ISO take care of itself, giving you a bit more control over DOF.
Also consider the sky, I used +1.7 exposure compensation there last year, that was against light cloud...There are also more AF settings in the K3 than previous models.
It has been suggested that the following settings work very well for birds in flight, so the planes should be a bit easier...
Menu C3
17 Action in AF-C - Focus priority
18 Hold AF Status - set to 4 (High)
Hope this helps... I'm sure that some of the other better qualified members will be along later to offer their views, the above worked OK for me, but you have a good camera and a lovely lens so you ought to be OK...

Regards

Andy
A few bits & Bobs

jeallen01

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 12:36
FWIW my comments are:

Get there as early as you can to avoid long walks from the car parks onto the airfield! Park in the Northern end car park if you are coming from the North, or the Southern car park if coming from the South - otherwise you will have a lot of delays when you leave.

The flying generally starts around 2pm but with the flight-line static area available to walk down until around 12.00 - but you would need a shorter focal length lens for that = some like a kit lens (I use the 18-135).

OTOH, if you want to walk around the indoor displays and hangers (which can take quite a long time because there is a lot to see and in quite a few different places) then something even wider is handy (I use the 10-20 Sigma).

Getting back to the flying side:
- My preference for the best place to stand is the bank between the Land Systems Museum at the Southern End (that's where I'll probably be on Saturday) because you can shoot over the heads of the CaNikon monster shooters who monopolise most of the fence line! Also, a lot of planes bank in from the South West and behind the Museum, so you have a chance for top side shots as they bank (OTOH, the centre of the flightline suffers in that respect because the planes are either side- or bottom-on to you - and bottom-side shots are generally just "boring"!)
- The 100-300 is pretty good, but I might disagree about not using the 1.4x TC at some points because some of the planes can be a long way away at times.
- OTOH, the 18-135 is useful when planes are flying over the crowd-line or taxing along it.
- Shutter speeds: about 180th for the slow planes and maybe a 250th for the faster prop planes so as not to freeze the prop blade movements - but a lot faster for the jets!
- IMHO, start with Single Centre point focusing, but maybe use the small area focus area as well.
- Frame rate - the highest rate may not necessarily the best because the increased time between shots seems to help the K-3 to keep target lock , so try the Medium rate.

Finally, take plenty of sunscreen and a hat if (as we hope) it is sunny then it gets VERY hot - and a brolly can be handy for both rain (it happens!) and strong sun. I have one that clips onto my folding chair, and that's great. Food is limited in variety, quite expensive and there can be long queues, and so I take some sandwiches and plenty to drink.

John
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS

jeallen01

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 13:53
PS: might be worth spending some time to check/adjust the 100-300 for front/back focus on your K-3 if my experience yesterday is anything to go by (see my comment at the bottom of the posts in the Mifsuds lead in "Leads to Deals"!)
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 06/07/2015 - 15:11

AlJones2402

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 16:36
Some great information here on this thread.
I'm actually off that weekend and may consider making a 1st time visit.

A gent I met up in the hills whom has visited a couple of times suggested parking in the primary school and crossing a bridge across the motorway and heading to the other side of the airfield somewhere?
This would be to benefit from having the light behind you?
Anyone any ideas?

AlJones2402

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 16:37
Forgot to ask any suggestions on nearby camping?

jeallen01

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 17:11
Rob2402 wrote:

A gent I met up in the hills whom has visited a couple of times suggested parking in the primary school and crossing a bridge across the motorway and heading to the other side of the airfield somewhere?
Anyone any ideas?

Take a look at the "Duxford's Naughty Field" thread here:

merryhampton

Link Posted 09/07/2015 - 21:34
Thaks everyone for all the help. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for good weather and good results. Thanks again all.

jeallen01

Link Posted 09/07/2015 - 22:20
Thanks and the weather looks to be good (mid 20Cs, so pretty warm!).

PS to my first post: from my experience over the years, approaching from the South side (take the side roads if you can) will be a lot easier/quicker than from the North because of all the people coming from the Cambridge area!

PPS to merryhampton: will you be on-site on Saturday? If so, see my first post.
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 09/07/2015 - 22:30

AlJones2402

Link Posted 10/07/2015 - 14:18
jeallen01 wrote:
Rob2402 wrote:

Anyone any ideas?

Take a look at the "Duxford's Naughty Field" thread here:

Thanks for the link. Plenty of information there.
Was thinking of doing two days. One in and one out. Would like to try a few candida with my film camera as it's not been used in a while.
Will be a early start for me if I go.
Happy to meet up if anyone interested.

jeallen01

Link Posted 10/07/2015 - 14:29
Rob2402 wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="jeallen01"][quote:3496ace15f="Rob2402"]
Was thinking of doing two days. One in and one out. Would like to try a few candida with my film camera as it's not been used in a while.
Will be a early start for me if I go.
Happy to meet up if anyone interested.

If you have not been to Duxford before and intend going in on one day, then might I suggest you do that on Saturday so that you can get the lay of the land and figure out where the best place outside is likely to be on Sunday.

andy_bell

Link Posted 10/07/2015 - 15:09
Better still, (I know its a bit late for this weekends show) is to go in to the museum in the week before, Friday is a good day, the museum is largely empty (bar School Hols), and you will have all sorts of planes arriving and practice displaying....and none of the weekends crowds....important indoors!

Andy
A few bits & Bobs
Last Edited by andy_bell on 10/07/2015 - 15:09

jeallen01

Link Posted 10/07/2015 - 15:16
andy_bell wrote:
Better still, (I know its a bit late for this weekends show) is to go in to the museum in the week before, Friday is a good day, the museum is largely empty (bar School Hols), and you will have all sorts of planes arriving and practice displaying....and none of the weekends crowds....important indoors!

Andy

Good to remember for next time though (except the for 120 mile roundtrip on each occasion if I want to attend over the weekend as well) as I am (almost) a man of leisure - having basically retired a few months ago.

AlJones2402

Link Posted 10/07/2015 - 16:06
jeallen01 wrote:
andy_bell wrote:

Andy

Good to remember for next time though (except the for 120 mile roundtrip on each occasion if I want to attend over the weekend as well) as I am (almost) a man of leisure - having basically retired a few months ago.

224 miles each way for me!! 😱

AlJones2402

Link Posted 10/07/2015 - 22:19
Bag packed. Car packed. Ready to roll.
May bump into a fellow pentaxian over the weekend. 😊

Feel free to pm me and I'll forward my mobile if interested.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.