Drake Manchester Apollo

cabstar
Posted 12/01/2011 - 16:13 Link
Really difficult shoot this with lots of smoke, little light & runaround stage arm waving rapper

Drake is a rapper from canada, seems tickets for last nights show where trading for £150 each with a face value of just £22

Comment Image



Comment Image


Larger size in my flickr link below
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Edited by cabstar: 12/01/2011 - 16:13
thoughton
Posted 12/01/2011 - 16:49 Link
Feeling my age as I've never heard of this guy

Love the dark red background in the first one, so much so that I'd even consider cropping those rather nice pink lights at the top.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Frogfish
Posted 12/01/2011 - 17:08 Link
#2 is a excellent shot for me - the spots provide a great background and he stands out really well.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
womble
Posted 12/01/2011 - 17:28 Link
I agree with Tim.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
aliengrove
Posted 12/01/2011 - 19:25 Link
I agree with Tim too, on both counts
cabstar
Posted 12/01/2011 - 19:29 Link
i am working for a new agency now & they need the files to be huge so cropping just isn't allowed! If it was i certainly would have cropped though.

thanks for the comments.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Frogfish
Posted 12/01/2011 - 19:35 Link
Sorry I should explain why #1 doesn't work for me. His hand is almost totally obscuring his face and there are too many shadows. Obviously I'm in a minority of one though !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Edited by Frogfish: 12/01/2011 - 19:36
cabstar
Posted 12/01/2011 - 21:18 Link
hi frogfish, thats ok. the problem with shooting show like this in smaller venues is that they never seem to have front lighting & as flash is not allowed shadows are unfortunately unavoidable in concert photography.

As for not seeing his face rappers always seem to sing upwards and only look down when they swing their whole body down. being down to 1/60 shutter speed it is just impossible to get a sharp shot when this happens.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
stub
Posted 12/01/2011 - 23:05 Link
Blimey...I remember when it was the best venue in town...

Nice shots, I thought...Though I too have never heard of him. Does he make the front of NME ?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
cabstar
Posted 13/01/2011 - 00:57 Link
I don't think he has even been in the NME yet. I firt saw him at Glastonbury last year in one of the dance tents, but wasn't all that impressed.

The music scene is rapidly changing, working in the music industry I get to know the bands & acts that are going to make it next. Yet in the last few months I have photographed bands that are getting absolutely no airplay or tv coverage what so ever & yet there will be 1000's of fans there who know every word to the songs.

Try these acts for example

Inju5tice
PJ Donnely
Sam Clarke
AJ

Seems AJ is being filmed for a current ITV 2 documentary which is to be screened in March / April time yet up to now he has had zero air play. I can only assume this interest is being raised through facebook & twitter. Like I say the whole music industry is going through this massive invisible change which most of the adult population simply are unaware is even happening...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
cabstar
Posted 13/01/2011 - 01:00 Link
For those interested next weeks shoot will be 80s rockers The Cult, that one I am rally looking forward to
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
thoughton
Posted 13/01/2011 - 01:15 Link
cabstar wrote:
Inju5tice
PJ Donnely
Sam Clarke
AJ
Yep, you're right, not a clue who they are

I'm sure you're right about facebook and twitter though. Probably throw in some myspace and youtube in there as well.

cabstar wrote:
For those interested next weeks shoot will be 80s rockers The Cult, that one I am rally looking forward to
Now you're talking! I'm looking forward to those!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
flossie
Posted 13/01/2011 - 11:40 Link
cabstar wrote:

The music scene is rapidly changing, working in the music industry I get to know the bands & acts that are going to make it next. Yet in the last few months I have photographed bands that are getting absolutely no airplay or tv coverage what so ever & yet there will be 1000's of fans there who know every word to the songs.
That's because there basically is no mass TV coverage of music any more. 10 years ago I was doing an average of 3 music shows a week (and sometimes more), all shown at prime times throughout the week from all the broadcasters. Now there's the rotating "talent" (ha ha) shows on saturday nights, no saturday morning kids shows, no family chart shows, and leaving us with just Later with Jules, (which is hardly prime-time or mass-market) and the odd one-off special and other half-hearted efforts which get no real push from the networks.

Radio broadcasts to specific nieches, so nobody ever goes outside their listening comfort zone. Youtube/facebook/myspace are all very well, but again people rarely look at anything they aren't familiar with.


Quote:
Like I say the whole music industry is going through this massive invisible change which most of the adult population simply are unaware is even happening...
I suspect that could have been written by any middle-aged person any time since the 50's... its always been about what teenagers listen to, and that's rarely what their parents like!
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo