DPR count the votes.

K10D

Link Posted 01/01/2013 - 12:20
...and the Best Camera of 2012 is link

Now an MZ-D would make my year.

Best regards

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/01/2013 - 18:34
This unequivocally proves it: DPR has slightly more Oly fanboys than it has Nikon fanboys than it has Canon fanboys.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Greytop

Link Posted 01/01/2013 - 18:54
An interesting result none-the-less.

I tend not to subscribe to the conspiracy theory mind set
Regards Huw

flickr

AndrewA

Link Posted 01/01/2013 - 19:00
I really wish Pentax would release a retro style camera along these lines.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

Frogfish

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 05:39
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
This unequivocally proves it: DPR has slightly more Oly fanboys than it has Nikon fanboys than it has Canon fanboys.

Damian McGillicuddy (who changed systems and now shoots with the OM-D) ........ a professional photographer decorated five times as the best in the UK :
"Olympus sent me an OM-D even though I had no intention of changing kit. But I opened the parcel and it had some nice shiny thing in it, so I got magpie syndrome and took it out."
"I didn't actually want it to work when I first saw it, 'cos it sort of dismantled my professional beliefs. But then I started using it and thought, 'It is rather good isn't it?' and, almost begrudgingly, it won me over".

http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

Algernon

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 07:50
The fact that Pentax sold twice as many Q's (No: 8 ) in Japan
last year (2012) as Olympus sold OM-D EM-5's (No: 12) shows
what nonsense this poll is.

The K-30 (13th DSLR's) and K-5 (14th DSLR's) both
individually sold more than the other
two (15th & 20th)

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 02/01/2013 - 08:01

johnriley

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 08:00
Polls are generally useless as they are only answered by people interested in some aspect of the poll. There is no randomness in a poll that leaves participation up to the voter.

All it can really be looked upon is as a bit of fun.
Best regards, John

Greytop

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 11:43
Algernon wrote:
The fact that Pentax sold twice as many Q's (No: 8 ) in Japan
last year (2012) as Olympus sold OM-D EM-5's (No: 12) shows
what nonsense this poll is.

The K-30 (13th DSLR's) and K-5 (14th DSLR's) both
individually sold more than the other
two (15th & 20th)

-

I'm not sure that this poll has anything to do with sales in Japan, I've looked for a link or connection but can't find one
johnriley wrote:
Polls are generally useless as they are only answered by people interested in some aspect of the poll. There is no randomness in a poll that leaves participation up to the voter.

All it can really be looked upon is as a bit of fun.

I agree that to a degree it is a bit of fun but I think it would be churlish to suggest there isn't also an underlying trend.
Compact and genuinely small/light kit as a tool to produce quality images is drawing more and more enthusiast and pro-photographers.
Regards Huw

flickr

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 13:06
Greytop wrote:
I'm not sure that this poll has anything to do with sales in Japan, I've looked for a link or connection but can't find one

The poll has nothing to do with sales, period. It's the best camera, not the biggest selling. The two aren't necessarily linked, or you'd conclude that some crummy Vivitar P&S sold for 29.99 in Tesco is a better camera than, say, a 645D....
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 13:10
... It's not even 'best image quality'... there are other parameters like innovation, usability, design which come into play... which you have to admit the EM5 has in spades.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Greytop

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 13:26
Pentaxophile wrote:

The poll has nothing to do with sales, period. It's the best camera, not the biggest selling. The two aren't necessarily linked, or you'd conclude that some crummy Vivitar P&S sold for 29.99 in Tesco is a better camera than, say, a 645D....

Pentaxophile wrote:
... It's not even 'best image quality'... there are other parameters like innovation, usability, design which come into play... which you have to admit the EM5 has in spades.

I 100% agree on both counts.
Regards Huw

flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 13:41
Quote:
Compact and genuinely small/light kit as a tool to produce quality images is drawing more and more enthusiast and pro-photographers.

The problem is that it's anecdotal. Yes, many people say this, but is it borne out by what people are actually buying? If we do a poll to ask then the voters are self-selecting, which is what I meant by there being no randomness to the sample. What do we mean by more and more?

The manufacturers will do market research to assist them in planning, but the results will depend on who is asked, what exactly they are asked and who will actually stop to answer. Nobody asks those who say "not now" and walk off, but for all we know they might be the camera buyers.

When TV sets were 4:3 a TV company asked the public if they preferred seeing films converted to 4:3 or as 16:9 and explained the latter as "you know, when you get black bands at the top and bottom of the screen". How many do you think simply voted to have the image as 4:3, simply because "well we don't want black bands on the screen, we'll lose half the picture" without actually understanding the question? As it happens we now have widescreen anyway, but the point is there as an example of misunderstood information.
Best regards, John

Greytop

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 13:53
Is it really anecdotal?
Why would pretty much all major the camera manufacturers invest serious money trying to hop on the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera bandwagon?
Even Pentax has had a couple of goes at it and no doubt future offerings may be closer to the mark.

As I said before it is a bit of fun but there is also an underlying trend going on, you really don't have to look far on other photography enthusiast sites to see this.
Regards Huw

flickr

cabstar

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 14:03
How many of those voting actually owned or have used those cameras???

Its a similar issue to forums when someone asks what lens or body to buy? Most people answering only express opinion about the one lens or body they bought without being able to compare it against any other body or lens as they have nothing similar to compare it too. But as that person bought one the need to justify it as being a good purchase is necessary.

Post-purchase rationalization (buyers stockholm syndrome) is an interesting study and worth a google if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

judderman62

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 15:56
I might think the fuji x-1 pro is the best camera - just because I don't buy it doesn't mean I don't think it's the best - that sort of thinking is a red herring.

As it happens I do like the sound/look of the fuji but I am too heavily invested in Pentax/Canon and the lens range is a bit limited at present.

Doesn't mean I could not vote for the fuji just because I haven't bought one/looking to buy one.
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.