Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

365 photo projects

Mandrake
Posted 01/01/2013 - 22:48 Link
Hello all, and happy new year!

As part of a general resolution to spend more time being creative, I've decided to do a 365 photo project (i.e. taking at least one photo every day) and share the results on my shiny new web site (shameless plug: smxc.co.uk).

Anyone else on here attempting something similar or done it before? If so do you have any advice?

Or if you're just starting one, maybe we should form a support group...
Simon

My online scrapbook: http://smxc.co.uk
bettyswolloks
Posted 01/01/2013 - 23:00 Link
Just finished mine. Advice, accept that there will be days when you cant be arsed!
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
SkyRider
Posted 02/01/2013 - 11:32 Link
Mandrake wrote:
Anyone else on here attempting something similar or done it before? If so do you have any advice?

My advice from a previous attempt is to define at the outset what you hope to get out of the process. I started one last year in the hope that it would encourage me to look more deeply at things and find a new angle to them that I hadn't seen before.

The problem, as bettyswolloks says above, is there end up being days where you end up taking a snapshot of something at 23:58 just to get get within the day's boundaries. What this meant for me was that rather than my camerawork getting better I was becoming satisfied with less when uploading a photo as either the image had been taken in haste or there hadn't been an opportunity to do any postprocessing on it; far from improving my photography, the process set me back a bit.

If you're aware of this as a potential problem at the outset you can probably put some coping mechanisms in place before they're needed. I wasn't and I didn't.

You might be able to get some inspiration by looking at BlipFoto; the site is geared toward a photo-per-day approach so provides relevant navigation tools such as 'taken on this day' calendars.

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider
Posted 02/01/2013 - 11:36 Link
PS. Good luck - here's wishing you 364* fantastic images!

___
* You're allowed a drunken blur on your birthday.
Mandrake
Posted 02/01/2013 - 20:00 Link
Thanks chaps. My hope is that taking pictures of the kids every day won't become a chore, so with the "daily" part covered, I can possibly get some more time to actually plan at least one non-family picture per week for the web site. Or I'll just set a recurring alarm for 23:58
Simon

My online scrapbook: http://smxc.co.uk
Edited by Mandrake: 02/01/2013 - 20:00
Stuey
Posted 02/01/2013 - 21:18 Link
My own fear is that 'having' to use my camera every day would make my hobby a chore - maybe that's just me though

My advice would be to stop the moment it becomes a (if it does) as a bloke I work with completed one of these 2 years ago and now rarely uses his camera - it just seemed to put him off
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
alig
Posted 02/01/2013 - 22:51 Link
It's a great idea, I attempted one last year, it was a different image of this wee figure I found, he was in different situations every day, which did limit me in a way.

I only made it to the beginning of July.

I was like bettyswollocks above with he old 5 to midnight panic a few times. I once got up out of bed in a panic, to get one done, then back to bed to get up at half 5. Working 12 hour shifts and 4 or 5 in a row gets in the way too!

I did contemplate doing the same again, but this time get the whole 365... but for this year I'm going to just get a favourite from each week, so here starts my 52 project. Ease myself into it.

All the best with yours though mandrake.

Cheers
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR
DaveHolmes
Posted 03/01/2013 - 01:10 Link
Never done it but there was a talk at my club a while back... Some of his advice was:

Join a 356 flickr group that you can gain inspiration from and get support... Support and encourage 3 other photographers who are also 365ing with the same start date as you...

Good luck...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Mal
Posted 03/01/2013 - 01:43 Link
Seen people doing them on flickr and yes they do get a great deal of encouragement from other members of the group taking part.

I remember i once done one on facebook naming the album "photo a day " its always interesting to sometimes look over the album and wonder why i haven't deleted it yet

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.