Do I switch to another brand?

RobL

Link Posted 16/09/2019 - 23:30
JAK wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:
Ricoh rep assures me there should be something later this year,,,,

I wonder if this announcement last week from SRS is relevant to that?

It would be great if Pentax pulls something out of the bag on its anniversary date, rather than a wine and nibbles do and free mugs with every purchase.

Don

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 00:44
RobL wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:
Ricoh rep assures me there should be something later this year,,,,

I wonder if this announcement last week from SRS is relevant to that?

It would be great if Pentax pulls something out of the bag on its anniversary date, rather than a wine and nibbles do and free mugs with every purchase.

or something dumb like like new paint job on an old model?
old model in a nice box with gold lettering?
hey they just released a new anniversary video featuring old cameras! What more do you want?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

ronniemac

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 01:21
DBlandford wrote:
I have been shooting on Pentax cameras for over 30 years and currently have a K50 and K70 in my camera bag. I am seriously thinking about upgrading to a K1 mark 2 but I cannot help wondering if it would be a better choice to switch to another brand. There is no reason to switch apart from the lack of choice with regards to lenses especially for third party lenses. There seems to me to be no development or new products in the Pentax range and I am concerned what the future holds for Pentax users. I would be interested in what everybody thinks.

What lenses do you currently have?

(you know that you can use these in crop mode in the K-1)

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 02:45
ronniemac wrote:

What lenses do you currently have?

Also what type of subject matter do you like to take pictures of?

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 09:43
If you are ever unsure about how good current Pentax is, just look at Mike-Ps images on his Flickr account.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Don

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 14:23
if you do switch brands and need to extend the life of your Pentax lenses....
you'll lose all automation and digital information between lens and body...but..
these Pentax to Sony adapters are the ones I own and they are great esp for video shooting:
this adapter comes in TWO varieties, one for kmount and one for DA lenses.... the DA version has a built in aperture ring that allows you to set the aperture on DA lenses. their marketing isn't clear so be careful to get the right one... Gobe
link you can set the sony a7III to shoot FF or Crop mode and for video, crop mode is still full 4k resolution....

While it cannot manually stop down aperture like the Gobe, the Fotodiox pro has two unique features... it acts as a variable extension tube for macro, and it has drop in behind the lens nd filters for video shooting...

BOTH of these can be had for about half the price of a Novaflex basic k adapter.
with the exception of the loss of AF these adapters turn the a7III into the mirrorless Pentax should have released 6 or 7 years ago.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 17/09/2019 - 14:24

JAK

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 18:07
I'll provide this link in case you've been tempted that the grass might be greener on the other side of the fence. Would put me off for sure.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 17/09/2019 - 18:09

johnriley

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 18:28
The grass is rarely greener, but it might be a different shade of green. The problems will still be there, whatever we use.
Best regards, John

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/09/2019 - 22:31
JAK wrote:
I'll provide this link in case you've been tempted that the grass might be greener on the other side of the fence. Would put me off for sure.

That's a very Sony specific set of issues, and there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

[quote:3496ac
johnriley wrote:
The grass is rarely greener, but it might be a different shade of green. The problems will still be there, whatever we use.

Yeah there will be pros and cons to any system, so it's about matching functionality to personal requirements. I'm always very interested to hear how other (ex?) Pentax users have found the transition, as one can't really comment fully unless you've actually tried the other side of the fence.

I'm quite interested in what Fuji are doing, in terms of retro styled solid metal cameras with mechanical shutter speed dials etc. They've done some intermediate hybrid viewfinder things too, half way between optical and evf. Not a lot of lens support, so it would appear the niche providers appeal to us

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 08:13
johnriley wrote:

Even my Nikon D500 has a fairly annoying problem, It doesn't have Pentax on the front. Apart from that I think it's pretty much the perfect APS-C DSLR (for me anyway). Saying that my K-1 still goes out with me 99% of the time.

Must admit though, I really would like to try a Sony A9 with the new 200-600mm they have just bought out.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 08:43
Mike-P wrote:
johnriley wrote:

Even my Nikon D500 has a fairly annoying problem, It doesn't have Pentax on the front. Apart from that I think it's pretty much the perfect APS-C DSLR (for me anyway).

Until:
a) you need a new XQD card........
b) the batteries tend to have that annoying habit of depleting very quickly...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 09:25
ilovesaabs wrote:

Until:
a) you need a new XQD card........
b) the batteries tend to have that annoying habit of depleting very quickly...

Which is why I put (for me anyway) Not bothered with a XQD card and I have a grip on it so battery life is not such a problem.

BTW, just saw your comment about mt Flickr images ... thanks for that.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

DBlandford

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 12:00
Thank you to everybody who has taken the time to answer my question. I know this was the place where people would give me reasons why I should I should stick with Pentax. After thirty years I have so much kit it would be silly to start again with another brand. To answer some of your questions my camera bag has in at the moment both a K50 and K70 body, and also

35mm F2.4 DA AL lens
50mm F1.8 DA lens
18 70 mm F3.5 lens
18- 135mm F3.5 SMC DA lens
50 - 135mm F2.8 SMC DA lens
55 - 300mm F4 SMC DA lens
Sigma 150 - 500 F5 - 6.3 lens

I am thinking my next lens will be a 10 - 20mm but currently I am happy with what I already have as I shoot a mixture of landscape, studio and transport.

Benz3ne

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 12:01
Mike-P wrote:

Even my Nikon D500 has a fairly annoying problem, It doesn't have Pentax on the front. Apart from that I think it's pretty much the perfect APS-C DSLR (for me anyway). Saying that my K-1 still goes out with me 99% of the time.

Though, for me, the limitation is purely the user, if I had to switch brands for whatever reason it'd probably be the D500 I'd go for. In short, for the apparently-exceptional autofocus abilities. I quite often photograph my dogs, and it'd be nice to have that little bit extra confidence that it's nailing autofocus where I don't really get that luxury in the K-70 or K-S2 I own...

As has definitely been mentioned before, it really depends on what you need the camera for. I'm still finding my feet, so it's nice to try my hand at various types of photography - landscape, portraits (though little experience here), street photography, fast moving images such as sport or wildlife, or even manual focus vs autofocus, so I'm yet to truly pinpoint my niche or the limitations associated with the camera therein. Ergo, I don't (currently) see any need at all to switch.
Last Edited by Benz3ne on 18/09/2019 - 12:01

pgweber

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 17:57
Benz3ne wrote:
I quite often photograph my dogs, and it'd be nice to have that little bit extra confidence that it's nailing autofocus where I don't really get that luxury in the K-70 or K-S2 I own...

It depends how easily pleased you are.
Is the property you refer to, a basic or a luxury?
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, , 55-300, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
Last Edited by pgweber on 18/09/2019 - 17:57
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.