Do I switch to another brand?

pschlute

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 18:39
Benz3ne wrote:
[I quite often photograph my dogs, and it'd be nice to have that little bit extra confidence that it's nailing autofocus where I don't really get that luxury in the K-70 or K-S2 I own...

Using the K1 versus say a K10, and a DFA 70-200 f2.8 versus a DA 60-250 is like chalk and cheese. AF-C is totally different. Maybe not quite up to the market leaders standards, but a huge leap forward. 30% keeper changes to 70% keeper
Peter

My Flickr page

Benz3ne

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 19:41
pschlute wrote:
Benz3ne wrote:
[I quite often photograph my dogs, and it'd be nice to have that little bit extra confidence that it's nailing autofocus where I don't really get that luxury in the K-70 or K-S2 I own...

Using the K1 versus say a K10, and a DFA 70-200 f2.8 versus a DA 60-250 is like chalk and cheese. AF-C is totally different. Maybe not quite up to the market leaders standards, but a huge leap forward. 30% keeper changes to 70% keeper

This is quite an interesting observation. I might have to look at stepping up in the future then! Itís frustrating thinking you should have a good number of keepers and flicking through to see that thereís a good number missed.
Iíll have to see if thereís a route to try one out for a weekend here and see what I think!
Thanks for the comment Peter.

johnriley

Link Posted 18/09/2019 - 23:16
Quote:
Iíll have to see if thereís a route to try one out for a weekend here and see what I think!

SRS do a Pentax Hire service, so you could simply hire a camera to try out.
Best regards, John

Benz3ne

Link Posted 19/09/2019 - 07:02
johnriley wrote:

Perfect, thanks John. At £130 for three days, plus probably hiring the 24-70 lens to compliment it for 3 days, runs at £180 total which unfortunately isnít a particularly short sum... approximately 10% of the cost of the pair.
I shall deliberate! Iíll probably end up doing it around the end of the year if I donít just plumb for it...

richandfleur

Link Posted 19/09/2019 - 07:49
Benz3ne wrote:
johnriley wrote:

Perfect, thanks John. At £130 for three days, plus probably hiring the 24-70 lens to compliment it for 3 days, runs at £180 total which unfortunately isnít a particularly short sum... approximately 10% of the cost of the pair.
I shall deliberate! Iíll probably end up doing it around the end of the year if I donít just plumb for it...

I reckon theyíd be up for you testing in store, bring your own lenses or try theirs etc.

Perhaps bring your own memory card and try it out, then review the shots later.

Benz3ne

Link Posted 19/09/2019 - 08:14
richandfleur wrote:
Benz3ne wrote:
Quote:

I reckon theyíd be up for you testing in store, bring your own lenses or try theirs etc.

Perhaps bring your own memory card and try it out, then review the shots later.

Slight hiccup - they're in Watford. I'm in S. W. Wales. I don't know whether it's economic for me to drive there and back to test a camera for an hour...

I shall continue to think on this matter!

JAK

Link Posted 19/09/2019 - 10:52
Benz3ne wrote:

Slight hiccup - they're in Watford. I'm in S. W. Wales. I don't know whether it's economic for me to drive there and back to test a camera for an hour...

Well use a more local dealer then :
eg Carmarthen Cameras, Zion Chapel, Mansel Street, Carmarthen SA31 QX
Believe it or not SRS isn't the only Pentax retailer in the UK.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/09/2019 - 10:59

Benz3ne

Link Posted 19/09/2019 - 11:08
JAK wrote:
Benz3ne wrote:

Well use a more local dealer then :
eg Carmarthen Cameras, Zion Chapel, Mansel Street, Carmarthen SA31 QX
Believe it or not SRS isn't the only Pentax retailer in the UK.

Sure, of this I'm aware but wasn't certain whether they do a hire service like SRS (only one mentioned so far).
Thanks all the same!

Edit: Sorry OP for hijacking the thread.
Last Edited by Benz3ne on 19/09/2019 - 11:09

ronniemac

Link Posted 21/09/2019 - 01:35
DBlandford wrote:
Thank you to everybody who has taken the time to answer my question. I know this was the place where people would give me reasons why I should I should stick with Pentax. After thirty years I have so much kit it would be silly to start again with another brand. To answer some of your questions my camera bag has in at the moment both a K50 and K70 body, and also

35mm F2.4 DA AL lens
50mm F1.8 DA lens
18 70 mm F3.5 lens
18- 135mm F3.5 SMC DA lens
50 - 135mm F2.8 SMC DA lens
55 - 300mm F4 SMC DA lens
Sigma 150 - 500 F5 - 6.3 lens

I am thinking my next lens will be a 10 - 20mm but currently I am happy with what I already have as I shoot a mixture of landscape, studio and transport.

35mm F2.4 DA AL lens: Works FF on K-1 (very minor vignetting wide open which is easily corrected in post processing)
50mm F1.8 DA lens: Works FF on K-1 (very minor vignetting wide open which is easily corrected in post processing)
Other Pentax lenses need to be used in crop mode although the 55-300 is also ok FF when zoomed in.
The Sigma I do not know about so perhaps someone else will advise?

If you go for the K-1, you will be able to use your lenses one way or another. I'd highly recommend the new and inexpensive 28-105 as a good all rounder; not the fastest, but silent, very sharp, and not too bulky.

Good luck

PS The new top of the range aps-c camera has just been announced - just to add to the range of options you are facing!
Last Edited by ronniemac on 21/09/2019 - 01:38

vic cross

Link Posted 21/09/2019 - 11:04
Things are looking up. Have you noticed the new APS model that will be at the Japanese show and due for sale in 2020??????????????????
CHEERS Vic.
Sorry ronniemac I just noticed you mentioned the new APSc camera first.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Last Edited by vic cross on 21/09/2019 - 11:07

dcweather

Link Posted 18/11/2019 - 15:00
Mike-P wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:

Until:
a) you need a new XQD card........
b) the batteries tend to have that annoying habit of depleting very quickly...

Which is why I put (for me anyway) Not bothered with a XQD card and I have a grip on it so battery life is not such a problem.

BTW, just saw your comment about mt Flickr images ... thanks for that.

Yes, they are great. I still look at them and there seems to be a big improvement in the birding ones

johnha

Link Posted 18/11/2019 - 23:03
I've skim read this thread, my view is that you need gear that works for you. If it doesn't for whatever reason you should research and switch to something that will. Trade everything and buy the best you can afford in the new system (half hearted transitions leave you in no man's land).

The key is that time/opportunity are things you can't recover, you need gear that enables your vision now, not tomorrow. If that's Pentax that's great, if not it needs to be something different, other forums are likely to be more helpful than one full of Pentax users.
PPG Flickr

richandfleur

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 03:53
Tools for tasks.

Just need to identify requirements and priorities, and then see what addresses those best for you.

petrochemist

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 10:05
Don wrote:
lens alone would not be enough to convince me to switch from Pentax, ( I know because I already switched from Pentax to Sony) .
Simply put... Pentax lenses generally are superb and usually value priced in their respective classes.
for example...
My WR DA 100mm macro.... I have an adapter with aperture control to use this lens on my Sony A7III. Why?
Two reasons:
a) in different macro lens shootouts the Pentax bested the 90mm Tamron and the Sony 90mm may be the highest rated macro on any system.. BUT it's not a huge jump ahead of the Tamron, meaning it's not edging the Pentax out by much...
b) I can live with manual focus for portraits and macro shooting, so whatever.... SONY 90mmm macro $1400.00 CDN, Pentax 100mm macro $649.00 CDN, Tamron 90 mm macro $949.00 CDN as of this writing...

Who cares if there's more options, with other brands when there's really only a few sensible choices?

having fewer choices isn't reason enough to switch, if the choices you have are generally excellent...

Pentax not offering pro video specs in ANY camera body..... THAT WAS REASON TO SWITCH!

Nearly all my Pentax lenses can be used with AF on my A7ii. Including many that are manual lenses. My Takumar 300/4 is one of those too heavy for adapting that way. The Auto 110 lenses don't support AF either but they can be used if you're happy to ignore the poorer coverage they work manually (unlike on a PK body).
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickrē WPFē Panoramio

Don

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 22:55
petrochemist wrote:

Nearly all my Pentax lenses can be used with AF on my A7ii. Including many that are manual lenses. My Takumar 300/4 is one of those too heavy for adapting that way. The Auto 110 lenses don't support AF either but they can be used if you're happy to ignore the poorer coverage they work manually (unlike on a PK body).

what adaptor are you using? I've had no luck finding an AF pk to Sony adaptor. is the one you have Full frame?
I do have a Gobe DA-PK to Sony with aperture ring, and a terrific fotodiox macro PK to Sony with drop in nd filters.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.