DL2 Custom Settings
Posted 24/01/2007 - 10:41
Link
Quote:
G
Good grief. Hell has frozen over. I spoke too soon.johnriley wrote:
I guess it shows that the K10D can be any sort of camera you want it to be.
So it should suit all sorts of different photographers.
Perhaps not Peter Elgar. I guess it shows that the K10D can be any sort of camera you want it to be.
So it should suit all sorts of different photographers.
G
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3717
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 24/01/2007 - 10:57
Link
AF_C
RAW DNG
Auto AF
EV 1/3 STEPS
LINK AF AE ON
WB when using flash - FLASH
Fine Tune when AWB Enabled
e-dial in TV - TV / ISO
Folder Name - Date
Centre or spot metering
Allow manual aperture
I always try to keep the rear dial to ISO where allowed.
As I shoot nearly everything in RAW I adjust the white balance on PC so generally leave it in AWB
RAW DNG
Auto AF
EV 1/3 STEPS
LINK AF AE ON
WB when using flash - FLASH
Fine Tune when AWB Enabled
e-dial in TV - TV / ISO
Folder Name - Date
Centre or spot metering
Allow manual aperture
I always try to keep the rear dial to ISO where allowed.
As I shoot nearly everything in RAW I adjust the white balance on PC so generally leave it in AWB
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Posted 24/01/2007 - 13:17
Link
I did say that i have a DL2 not a K10D
Richard
Richard
Posted 24/01/2007 - 14:26
Link
Back on track...
For the *ist-DS (similar functions to the DL2), my favourite custom function is "OK btn when shooting" to 3 - Enable AF.
This way the shutter release does NOT focus, but the OK button does the focus. I find this especially helpful for kids, fast moving items, and where focus is critical.
(The same function is available on all Pentax DSLRs and this is one of the first changes I make )
Matt
For the *ist-DS (similar functions to the DL2), my favourite custom function is "OK btn when shooting" to 3 - Enable AF.
This way the shutter release does NOT focus, but the OK button does the focus. I find this especially helpful for kids, fast moving items, and where focus is critical.
(The same function is available on all Pentax DSLRs and this is one of the first changes I make )
Matt
Posted 24/01/2007 - 16:35
Link
Quote:
I did say that i have a DL2 not a K10D
Richard
Sorry for high-jacking your thread.I did say that i have a DL2 not a K10D
Richard
But, because the K10D is new, and because it has more functions, this thread is even more interesting for K10D owners.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 24/01/2007 - 16:36
Link
Equally well, most of the functions chosen apply to all the Pentax DSLRs.
Best regards, John
Posted 24/01/2007 - 19:01
Link
I do hope to upgrade to the K10D later probably when the price hopefully starts to drop. But in the meantime i don,t see the point as i want to master the DL2 first. So all the help given for the K10D will come in handy and it won,t go to waste.
Posted 24/01/2007 - 23:29
Link
When you do decide to upgrade to the K10D it should be a very smooth process as most of the design is the same. A very strong plus point for Pentax is the consistency of the design.
Best regards, John
Posted 24/01/2007 - 23:54
Link
Quote:
When you do decide to upgrade to the K10D it should be a very smooth process as most of the design is the same. A very strong plus point for Pentax is the consistency of the design.
agreed, I went DL2 to K10D and most of my custom functions are the same, the only ones I had to think about are those which weren't on the DL2.
When you do decide to upgrade to the K10D it should be a very smooth process as most of the design is the same. A very strong plus point for Pentax is the consistency of the design.
Posted 29/01/2007 - 18:16
Link
What's this i hear about setting the OK button to AF and then being able to control focusing with the four way controler.
Richard
Richard
Posted 30/01/2007 - 09:52
Link
Richard,
It's in the custom menu:
The four way buttons do NOT control the focusing
Matt
It's in the custom menu:
Quote:
For the *ist-DS (similar functions to the DL2), my favourite custom function is "OK btn when shooting" to 3 - Enable AF.
Then, when you half-press the shutter it does not focus. You have to press the "OK" button to trigger the AF mechanism.For the *ist-DS (similar functions to the DL2), my favourite custom function is "OK btn when shooting" to 3 - Enable AF.
The four way buttons do NOT control the focusing
Matt
Posted 30/01/2007 - 12:51
Link
Thanks for that Matt
It's just that i had read on another Pentax forum that the four way controlers could also contol the focusing area when the ok button was being used and i was just curious. It would of been nice if thay did.
It's just that i had read on another Pentax forum that the four way controlers could also contol the focusing area when the ok button was being used and i was just curious. It would of been nice if thay did.
Posted 30/01/2007 - 13:32
Link
Richard,
The *ist-DL has only 3 focus points, so your only options are "Spot" and "Wide" (page 121 of the DL manual). Selecting a focus point would be a little silly.
The *ist-DS has multi-point, and yes the four way controller can choose the focus point. See page 123 of the *ist-DS manual - it's the "Select" option that allows the four-way controller to choose.
On the *ist-D and K10D there is a physical selector around the 4-way buttons that chooses "Spot", "Select" and "Auto" - when on "Select" the 4-way buttons choose the exact spot.
Hope that helps!
Matt
The *ist-DL has only 3 focus points, so your only options are "Spot" and "Wide" (page 121 of the DL manual). Selecting a focus point would be a little silly.
The *ist-DS has multi-point, and yes the four way controller can choose the focus point. See page 123 of the *ist-DS manual - it's the "Select" option that allows the four-way controller to choose.
On the *ist-D and K10D there is a physical selector around the 4-way buttons that chooses "Spot", "Select" and "Auto" - when on "Select" the 4-way buttons choose the exact spot.
Hope that helps!
Matt
Posted 30/01/2007 - 17:51
Link
Thanks Matt all is now clear
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


8192 posts
22 years
London
I guess it shows that the K10D can be any sort of camera you want it to be.
So it should suit all sorts of different photographers.
G