Dead K5 ... Help.

DaveN

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 14:39
Was just about to go for a walk, but my K5 seems dead. Can't power it on. Tried another battery, still nothing. Is there a reset button somewhere that I can't find?
Discovering the joys of photography with Pentax
Last Edited by DaveN on 04/08/2011 - 14:43

DaveN

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 14:55
Oh sorted. Removed lens and turned on.

DaveN

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 16:11
Grrr, it's dead, caput. CPR has not helped this time. Any ideas?

Amazon says they wont exchange, only refund as this is the second time I've had a problem with the camera despite explaining it is not the same issue. Should I get the K-r from then instead? Or any tips to resurrect my beloved?
Last Edited by DaveN on 04/08/2011 - 16:12

fatspider

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 16:22
I would go for the refund and buy another, especially if its been back for repair once already.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Don

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 16:24
remove battery, fully charge it.
swap memory card. ( link )
remove lens, place on body cap.
look at all electrical connections esp in battery compartment and on battery... I seem to recall a dead k10 that was down to pocket lint getting into the battery compartment... another reason to not store ones spare battery in the pocket...

failing that start a paper trail with amazon, they may relent and do the exchange....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 04/08/2011 - 16:27

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 16:28
Refund and buy from SRS.
. My Flickr

Anvh

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 17:40
Keep the battery out for several minutes that was a way to sort off reset the older cameras no idea if it work with the K5.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

fritzthedog

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 18:40
Sorry no advice - just an observation

I bought a Kr 6 months ago just to keep me going until I could afford a K5 intending to then sell the K20D and keep the Kr as a back-up for the K5.

The Kr has not caused me any sleepless nights - has been a fantastic performer since day 1 - has already taken over 8k shots and has not needed so much as a sensor clean although I admit the focus screen either needs removing and a careful clean or replacing

Evey week I hear of people with k5 problems - and I do not recall seeing any spate of Kr issues being posted by anybody

I am now seriously considering whether it is actually worth spending more than double what the Kr cost me to get a camera that may let me down or whether I should just get another Kr as a back-up and either wait until they have sorted all the problems or launch another model!

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Anvh

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 18:53
When you look how many here have a K5 and how many here have a problem (minus the sensor stains) the K5 is not doing too bad.

The Kr have problem with the scroll wheels, is down to the grease that is being used.
Good thing is if that fails they fail early in their life time so well inside the guarantee.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

DaveN

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 19:02
The K5 might have a few issues, but it's such a joy to hold and use. I cannot see anything replacing it, not even a perfect K-r ( does not feel the same in the hand)

I'm going to try don's (and anvh) suggestions when my batteries are fully charged. But I have booked it to go back to Amazon tomorrow. I am tempted to go to jessops and pick one from them.

As far I know there is no pro centres in Central Scotland?
Last Edited by DaveN on 04/08/2011 - 19:07

fritzthedog

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 19:14
I kind of hoped that you K5 owners would jump to it's defence and you haven't let me down - I do really still want one

NikonToPentax wrote:
The K5 might have a few issues, but it's such a joy to hold and use. I cannot see anything replacing it, not even a perfect K-r ( does not feel the same in the hand)

When I first took the Kr out of the box I hated it, very nearly did not keep it - it did not feel right initially after my K20D with the battery pack - too small - too light - but in fairness to the Kr - get over this and it is a great little camera and I would not part with it - even when I do eventually get the 5

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

aliengrove

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 21:46
Have you updated the firmware? Just that I had a strange problem with mine, a strange whirring noise in the camera when I was reviewing pictures as if it was trying to autofocus, and black lines on the screen. It may be coincidence but since updating the firmware it's worked perfectly (touch wood).
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

DaveN

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 22:40
Just an update:

Followed above, still nothing. Tried powering on with menu button as for firmware check/update. Nothing. Firmware was 1.11 from day 1.

It's all packed and ready to go back

aliengrove

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 23:28
What a bummer. Hope you get it sorted quickly. I must confess that yesterday when I sold my K7, which was totally reliable, I wondered whether I should have hung onto it a few more months just to be sure the K5 is going to be as reliable....
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 23:41
My K-5 has never given me any problems to speak of (other than a dirty sensor which was largely my fault and cleaned up as good as new anyway). It's my Tamron 17-50 lens that died on me. Sent it off 10 days ago and currently awaiting a replacement.

Surely if Amazon give you a full refund you should be able to afford a replacement? As others have suggested, get it from SRS this time. From what I've read about others with K-5 problems, they would not quibble about replacing it the way Amazon are doing.

I agree the K-5 is a joy to use. As Pentax tend to change the body design/control layout every couple of models and the K-5 was nearly identical to the K-7, I'm actually hoping they don't change it next time around. I'm not convinced they could come up with anything closer to perfect than the K-5/K-7 in these respects.
My Flickr Pentax K-5 K-5 II Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Last Edited by MarkTaylor on 04/08/2011 - 23:46
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.