DA* 50-135 - what to do?

JohnX

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 14:50
Encouraged by all the positive things said about this lens, and prompted by the price hike, I bought one last week at the old price. Unfortunately when I received the lens I immediately noticed a small foreign object on one of the lens elements. Doesn't look like dust - 1>1.5mm in diameter, light brown in colour. Could be cardboard.

Contacted the dealer; their only other copy had dust inside!

Currently I'm waiting on what the dealer and Pentax agree on Monday, but in order for me to have this lens at the lower price it looks like I might have to send it away for 'repair'!

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

johnriley

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 14:56
Perhaps return it for a full refund and source it elsewhere? If that is fruitless, then it looks like the repair option may be the only one.
Best regards, John

Mannesty

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 14:56
It sounds as if this got in there during manufacture. I'd be surprised if it got in after manufacture as it's a 'dust proof' lens. Have it cleaned under warranty or replaced by Pentax.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

JohnX

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 15:08
Mannesty wrote:
It sounds as if this got in there during manufacture. I'd be surprised if it got in after manufacture as it's a 'dust proof' lens. Have it cleaned under warranty or replaced by Pentax.

I'm hoping Pentax will offer a straight replacement. That would be my preferred choice. The dealer, however, indicated that it's unlikely. He talked about refunds, credit notes, etc. Bottom line, he felt that I'd end up having to pay the new, higher, price.

johnriley wrote:
Perhaps return it for a full refund and source it elsewhere? If that is fruitless, then it looks like the repair option may be the only one.

Can't get it at the same price, unfortunately, although looks like I might be able to get one for around 10 more. Could be this is the route to go.

RR

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 15:10
JohnX wrote:
Mannesty wrote:

I'm hoping Pentax will offer a straight replacement. That would be my preferred choice. The dealer, however, indicated that it's unlikely. He talked about refunds, credit notes, etc. Bottom line, he felt that I'd end up having to pay the new, higher, price.

johnriley wrote:

Can't get it at the same price, unfortunately, although looks like I might be able to get one for around 10 more. Could be this is the route to go.

I think on the scale of things I'd pay the extra tenner.
My Flickr

shim

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 15:30
Just tell the dealer to replace it or you'll buy one elsewhere for a higher price and sue him for the difference in the form of a "Loss of Bargain Claim".

shim

johnriley

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 15:44
Quote:
looks like I might be able to get one for around 10 more. Could be this is the route to go.

Considering the price of the item, the new street price and the inconvenience potential, I would say 10 is a pretty good deal.

Quote:
Just tell the dealer to replace it or you'll buy one elsewhere for a higher price and sue him for the difference in the form of a "Loss of Bargain Claim".

The dealer's wish to be helpful might evaporate somehwhat at that point! The 10 option seems rather more attractive....
Best regards, John

JohnX

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 17:10
shim wrote:

shim

Thanks Shim, never heard of "Loss of Bargain Claim"; I'll look into it. That said, it's Pentax at fault, not the dealer. Poor quality control.

shim

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 17:18
It's the dealer who is responsible in law and I would personally expect a reputable dealer to at least visually inspect the lens before selling it, although that rarely happens now days. About 35 years ago R.G. Lewis used to resolution test every lens and issue a certificate with the sale.

I had a similar speck on a Pentax 55-300mm I bought a few months ago from SRS, but because it was working OK I didn't bother returning it. I'll think twice about using them again though, mail orders should be inspected.

shim

JohnX

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 18:00
shim wrote:

...I had a similar speck on a Pentax 55-300mm I bought a few months ago from SRS, but because it was working OK I didn't bother returning it. I'll think twice about using them again though, mail orders should be inspected.

shim

If it were a speck I wouldn't be so bothered, but it's 1>1.5 mm in diameter. I'm also concerned what else might be in there!

Besides, even at the old price it's not a cheap lens, and I expect it to be perfect, that way I know if there any problems with any of my shots it's down to me, not the equipment
Last Edited by JohnX on 05/07/2009 - 18:01

scottthehat

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 18:03
as far as i can see there should just be a straight swap for a new one, its the retailers problem, as long as its not over 28 days old,
just keep snapping,

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/

CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.

JohnX

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 18:07
scottthehat wrote:
as far as i can see there should just be a straight swap for a new one, its the retailers problem, as long as its not over 28 days old,

You're right, except I'm told by the dealer that as it was 'old' stock, and they've now run out, they'd have to charge me the difference between the old and new price because any replacement they received from Pentax would be at the new prices.

If anyone knows how Pentax handles returns from dealers I'd be very pleased to know, as unfortunately at the moment what the dealer's telling me makes sense even if I don't like what I'm hearing.
Last Edited by JohnX on 05/07/2009 - 18:10

Hyram

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 18:27
shim wrote:

I had a similar speck on a Pentax 55-300mm I bought a few months ago from SRS, but because it was working OK I didn't bother returning it. I'll think twice about using them again though, mail orders should be inspected.
shim

You won't find a better place to buy photographic gear so you will be on hard times if you have decided to think twice about using them again

If you consider it to be an issue, why did you not contact them

Returning to the OP's question, I agree that the extra 10 route would appear to be the best option.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Gwyn

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 18:43
I would have thought under the sales of goods act you had the right to expect repair or replacement without having to pay extra, assuming you did not inspect the lens before you bought it.
Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/5jqgww and http://tinyurl.com/r2kwcy

Snootchies

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 19:18
The dealer is speaking rubbish. The fact that the price has gone up is not your problem. You are legally allowed a repair or refund free of charge, it is your consumer right.

"If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)"
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Last Edited by Snootchies on 05/07/2009 - 19:18
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.