Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

DA* 50-135 - what to do?

JohnX
Posted 05/07/2009 - 23:04 Link
Snootchies wrote:
The dealer is speaking rubbish. The fact that the price has gone up is not your problem. You are legally allowed a repair or refund free of charge, it is your consumer right.

In fairness to the dealer there's no question of not getting a refund or a repair if I want one. What I want though is a perfect lens One of my little foibles I suppose; when I buy something new I expect it to be pristine. In this instance it looks like I need to decide between a repair = less than perfect, or paying more. As I wrote earlier, another dealer is advertising one at £10 more.

Guess all will be revealed tomorrow!

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.
Edited by JohnX: 05/07/2009 - 23:05
Unlocker
Posted 06/07/2009 - 00:50 Link
I would demand a replacement, simple as that. The price going up has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The Sale of Goods Act does say that the consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, not the retailer, you. So ask for a replacement because the goods did not conform to contract at time of purchase.

Simples.
JohnX
Posted 06/07/2009 - 13:18 Link
I'm still waiting on a response from the retailer, but have in the meantime spoken to Consumer Direct. Seems I can't demand a replacement, although I can ask for it. According to Consumer Direct it would have to be a replacement of similar value!

I've escalated it up to a manager at Johnson's; according to Pentax they make the decision as to repair or replace in the event the lens is sent to them.

Retailer still also trying to get this resolved.
Edited by JohnX: 06/07/2009 - 13:18
JohnX
Posted 14/07/2009 - 10:31 Link
Just thought I'd finish this small saga, firstly with thanks to all who posted comments, and then to Pentax UK who have agreed to change the lens, despite the fact that by the time the lens arrived for inspection at/by Johnson's the debris had disappeared!

On a more general note, however, I have been speaking to a lot of people along the way, and some interesting things have been said, including the fact that come October this year Pentax Imaging UK will be a seperate business within the Pentax UK organisation, so will we see a return to 'real world' pricing of lenses, etc?

There's also an acknowledgement that they can't compete with the marketing budgets of Canikon et al, so, cutting their cloth accordingly they're focussing (right now) on putting more product and support into Pentax Pro Centres.

Hopefully the enthusiasm we all have for Pentax kit is returning to Pentax itself?
Edited by JohnX: 14/07/2009 - 10:32

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.