D.I.Y. K3 battery grip

awaldram
Posted 04/11/2013 - 09:53 Link
vic cross wrote:
OK. awaldram. I've just had another look and you're right. It was one of those optical illusions where things look the other way round and I thought there was a hole where there is actually a pin. Silly Me. However this makes me think? what about the other steel pin at the other end of the grip. Does this need removing also?
CHEERS Vic.
I was bound to be right I took the picture

No the other pin fits into a larger hole, it appears the dgb-5 is the same as the dbg4 but the pin diameters were altered.
ilovesaabs
Posted 04/11/2013 - 10:10 Link
On the subject of grip or no-grip.

I have a Z-1 and very happy to use it without a grip.

I also have a Z-1p, I feel it necessary to use a grip with this camera.

Both cameras virtually identical in shape and design but I need a grip with one but not the other, how do you explain that?

Looking forward to K-3 reviews.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Mannesty
Posted 04/11/2013 - 10:12 Link
Is one a left handed model
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 04/11/2013 - 10:23 Link
There's no virtually identical about the Z-1 and Z-1p, they are identical. The panoramic function separates them, plus maybe a few other technical details.

That's like saying you don't need a grip with the K-5 II but you do with the K-5 IIs.

I'll go for Mannesty's conclusion, but probably because you're looking at one of the cameras in a mirror....
Best regards, John
Horst
Posted 04/11/2013 - 12:08 Link
Gwyn wrote:

Quote:
I've always wondered about this argument for grips. Have peoples hands grow so much that a modern DSLR is too small for them? How did anyone ever manage to hold a film SLR and take great photos with it?
I used a Super-A for years (same size as the ME series). It felt only comfortable with the winder fitted to it.
It made it just that bit larger to make it easy to hold for me and I haven't extra large hands.

Regards, Horst
johnriley
Posted 04/11/2013 - 13:08 Link
It just depends on the individual. There's obviously a demand for winders and grips. I can't believe how many film winders I've sold on eBay in the last few months. And all the Pentax DSLR grips have sold as well, at good prices.

I don't use them as I prefer the compact profile of the cameras on their own and don't want the added bulk and weight. But that's me and we're not all the same.
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 04/11/2013 - 14:14 Link
I just don't get the idea of using a grip to hold a memory card and a battery; you can put them in your pocket if you don't own a gadget bag (unlikely).

I do confess to using a grip when certain, size is important, clients are around

I thought the whole point of pentax was small ergonomic bodies?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
DanielH
Posted 04/11/2013 - 14:45 Link
gartmore wrote:


I thought the whole point of pentax was small ergonomic bodies?
Quite agree My friend has a new Nikon D800 with grip making a gargantuan body even heavier and larger! whats the point? How can it make large lenses easier to handle? surely you have one hand on the lens and one on the body no??

Still each to their own
McGregNi
Posted 04/11/2013 - 15:03 Link
gartmore wrote:
I thought the whole point of pentax was small ergonomic bodies?
One of the points of Pentax is good ergonomics - for me that means the Camera & Grip combination.

Its always going to be a personal thing of course. I feel there are both handling and added control advantages - I'm a grip guy, will always be a grip guy I guess .

Smeggypants wrote:
McGregNi wrote:
Yes, thats right, but for me its not just about keeping the camera more steady, its a dynamic aid as well. The extra contact surface with the hands helps with control in moving the camera around and in precise framing handheld. And it is very secure and quick to flick into portratit and back again with all the buttons in the same places feeling - wise.
I felt the opposite to that. I found it easier and quicker keep my fingers on the normal controls and just rotate everything 90 deg for portrait. I never used the grip controls. interestingly observing photographers at events with grips I don't recall every seeing one of them use the grip controls in portrait mode
This sort of thing comes down to how the muscles are conditioned and 'programmed'. For me, the comfort and consistency in control comes from using the buttons & dials on the grip in portrait 'mode' with the hand in very much the same position as in 'landscape' with the body controls. The actual flipping of the camera over from one to the other is very quick and intuitive because of the extra tactile sense and surface contact you have with grip, and the hand just tightens back into the same position once the grip is vertical and the controls are right under your fingers again.

I find it very unatural to pull the camera left with the right wrist bending down to try and keep the fingers on the buttons. But then, thats the way I've been programmed.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
johnriley
Posted 04/11/2013 - 16:37 Link
By programming, not a great word to use in the context of human beings, I presume you mean taught and learned?

We can learn to do things a different way if we want to, so it's not inevitable that we only operate one way.
Best regards, John
McGregNi
Posted 04/11/2013 - 17:16 Link
I think our physical motor reponses and senses are programmable - just set that way through unthinking repetition, so not the same as being taught and learning. What I mean in this context though is that this programming translates into our own personal 'natural'.

Another photography example would be the way many of us find it natural to half-press the shutter button to activate focus - then press fully to shoot. This is learned about, for sure, but its as a result of programming that any alternatives can feel unatural.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 04/11/2013 - 17:18
Mannesty
Posted 04/11/2013 - 20:34 Link
Horst wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

Quote:
I've always wondered about this argument for grips. Have peoples hands grow so much that a modern DSLR is too small for them? How did anyone ever manage to hold a film SLR and take great photos with it?
I used a Super-A for years (same size as the ME series). It felt only comfortable with the winder fitted to it.
It made it just that bit larger to make it easy to hold for me and I haven't extra large hands.

Regards, Horst
+1
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
ronniemac
Posted 04/11/2013 - 21:18 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:

I have a Z-1 and very happy to use it without a grip.

I also have a Z-1p, I feel it necessary to use a grip with this camera.

Both cameras virtually identical in shape and design but I need a grip with one but not the other, how do you explain that?
Someone told you the p in Z-1p is for portrait orientation;

(they were pulling you leg).

ilovesaabs
Posted 04/11/2013 - 22:04 Link
johnriley wrote:
There's no virtually identical about the Z-1 and Z-1p, they are identical. The panoramic function separates them, plus maybe a few other technical details.

That's like saying you don't need a grip with the K-5 II but you do with the K-5 IIs.

I'll go for Mannesty's conclusion, but probably because you're looking at one of the cameras in a mirror....
was I right or was I wrong?, you say they are identical yet say there is at least one difference, therefore not identical. The Z-1p has a different finish, aesthetic and not technical:geek mode off:

I bought the Z-1p new and bought the grip soon afterwards as I found it improved handling...couldn't use the camera without the grip, yet after I bought the Z-1 (used) I didn't feel the need to buy a grip for it, actually the grip has never migrated off the Z-1p unless to change the battery or to have a service. Something I cannot explain
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
ilovesaabs
Posted 04/11/2013 - 22:06 Link
ronniemac wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:

I have a Z-1 and very happy to use it without a grip.

I also have a Z-1p, I feel it necessary to use a grip with this camera.

Both cameras virtually identical in shape and design but I need a grip with one but not the other, how do you explain that?
Someone told you the p in Z-1p is for portrait orientation;

(they were pulling you leg).

could it be for that?
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo