Cornwall 2014

tomh1982

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 08:53
Just back from the annual trip to Cornwall & missing it already. Had a week of very mixed weather but it created some good sunrises & sunsets. Anyway on with the Photos.

1, Fistral Beach. 54 secs at f/8

Morning Blues by tomh198218, on Flickr

2, Little Fistral. 0.8 secs at f/8

Path to the Sea by tomh198218, on Flickr

3, Little Fistral. 1 sec at f/9

Little Fistral by tomh198218, on Flickr

4, The Headland Hotel. 0.5 secs at f/8

Headland Hotel by tomh198218, on Flickr

5, Godrevy Lighthouse. 3 secs at f/13

Gwithian by tomh198218, on Flickr

6, Godrevy Lighthouse. 5 secs at f/13

Godrevy by tomh198218, on Flickr

7, Godrevy Lighthouse. 2.5 secs at f/13

Godrevy by tomh198218, on Flickr

Cheers Tom

RayB

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 09:03
Lovely set!

Number 5 for me. I lived in Hayle for about a year and know that part of the county very well - the pink in the sky and the flowers make it for me

Blythman

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 09:44
Like them all. Can't pick a winner. The last one is weaker than the rest for me. Much prefer the portrait view, with the greater seperation between the component parts of the image
Alan

PPG
Flickr

gwing

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 10:27
Very nice. I particularly like 'Path to the Sea' where the colours, composition and lighting all work for me. Some of the others I find a little over luminous.
Last Edited by gwing on 10/06/2014 - 10:28

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 18:43
Some great viewpoints and compositions there Tom, all very creative. The strongest is No 2 with fantastic foreground which is actually lit ... I'd crop some from the bottom though, and perhaps a little from the top of the sky as well.

As always from you the skies are beautiful and take such importance. Unfortunately some of the foregrounds suffer from having no light at all to speak of, maybe it was too early? The ones with the flowers are beautifully laid out but N0 5 is spoilt by the movement blur - did you by any chance get one with a faster speed or less wind?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/06/2014 - 18:44

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 18:53
Cant remember seeing photos Ive enjoyed so much as these

Love them all

PLEASE tell me your setup etc
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

tyronet2000

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 19:28
Very very nice set, like them all
Regards
Stan

PPG

fritzthedog

Link Posted 10/06/2014 - 19:55
I am totally jealous

On the plus side - I will be in that area in 4 weeks - can't wait - haven't been for 2 years and missing the area badly!!!!!

Great set Tom - not a fan of the Fistral beach area but your shots certainly do it proud.

What time were you at Godrevy to get those great shots? - one of my absolute favorite places in the world.

I will be based in Mousehole - last time I stayed there - got some excellent sunset opportunities over the harbour - let's hope I do better with them this time

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

tomh1982

Link Posted 11/06/2014 - 23:00
Thanks everyone for the comments they are much appreciated!

Nigel: Unfortunatley it was getting quite dark at the point I took that shot & the wind was howling so the movement in the flowers was unavoidable really. I had to anchor my tripod using my bag & a bungie cord. Would have prefer it if they had been still myself.

Alistair: For all of these shots I was using my K3 & sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 tripod mounted & remote trigger. Mainly using my Lee 0.6 or 0.9 hard grad & I used a little stopper on the first one to extend the exposure.

Carl: I got to Godrevy at around 20:30 but at this time of year the sun sets pretty much directly behind the lighthouse so I would say these shots were taken between 21:30 & 21:50. I didn't leave till after 22:00 as I got chatting to another photographer. Godrevy is a special place especially at that time of day. If you go during the day I would recommend the cafe that's next to the national trust car park. The food is excellent! Have a good trip!

Thanks again!

davidstorm

Link Posted 11/06/2014 - 23:24
A powerful set of images, beautifully photographed and produced. Compositionally they are very strong and I like the use of an 'almost' long exposure in several of these which helps to retain some detail in the water whilst still conveying the movement.

Some are a little dark in the foreground, but to me this is perfectly appropriate for these shots and adds to the drama.

Thanks for posting these, I thoroughly enjoyed viewing them.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

K10D

Link Posted 11/06/2014 - 23:45
Very good work and inspiring images.

Best regards

lennythelion

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 05:01
Some amazing Sky's in your set. Thanks for posting for me no 1 and no 5 just edge the others.

Stephen Hampshire

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 08:03
Agree with the previous poster, the use of shortish "long" exposures keeps a balance between the rather ethereal misty water with 10s plus exposures and the frozen appearance of normal shutter speeds. Number three works particularly well for me, in this respect. I haven't used my 10-20 for beach shots yet (only got it recently) but these images encourage me to get doen to the sea again and try it out.
Everything changes!

MrB

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 11:09
Some have mentioned the dark foregrounds and, if they were mine, I think I would try to lift the tones there slightly, e.g. so that the foreground in #7 is similar to #5. The latter is my choice - the sky is wonderful and it is balanced (sort of reflected) by the colours in the foreground flowers.

Cheers.
Philip

fritzthedog

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 17:25
tomh1982 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the comments they are much appreciated!

Carl: I got to Godrevy at around 20:30 but at this time of year the sun sets pretty much directly behind the lighthouse so I would say these shots were taken between 21:30 & 21:50. I didn't leave till after 22:00 as I got chatting to another photographer. Godrevy is a special place especially at that time of day. If you go during the day I would recommend the cafe that's next to the national trust car park. The food is excellent! Have a good trip!

Looks like I shall need a late trip to Godrevy - I was there during a massive thunder storm over the lighthouse a couple of years ago - managed a few half decent shots but the wind was so fierce I could barely stand up - and yes - I know the cafe very well and the Red River Inn down the road in Gwithian - great little pub especially if you are a real ale fan - can't wait
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.