Considering a pentax system

Anvh

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 01:10
Ah okay.
To behonest I only use lightroom, it gets the photos from the card and place it in the right folder sorted on date.

The the pentax DSLR come with Photo Browser that can be used to get the files from the camera to the computer but I've never used it.
But it looks like a browser not a catalogue like nikon transfer seems to be.

I also don't believe that the program change names, maybe when countering files with the same name but I wouldn't expect something high class to be honest.

There was a rumor that microsoft has worked with hoya to create a program for pentax cameras so maybe you get something else with the K-7 if that's true. The K-7 has video so they need to have something that can handel that.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

ttk

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 11:50
Anvh wrote:

There was a rumor that microsoft has worked with hoya to create a program for pentax cameras so maybe you get something else with the K-7 if that's true. The K-7 has video so they need to have something that can handel that.

Microsoft needs to get there OS's right first before making programs/software for camera's.
Tel,

Mike-P

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 12:04
Anvh wrote:

There was a rumor that microsoft has worked with hoya to create a program for pentax cameras so maybe you get something else with the K-7 if that's true.

The photo editing software has been completely re written for the K-7 by all accounts but is still based around Silkypix.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

shim

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 12:15
Help my K7's just crashed with the "Blue Screen of Death"

shim

Anvh

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 19:26
Like I said it was a rumor
But do you've any idea what program would handle the video's?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

jukar

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 19:47
Actually XP and Vista are pretty solid operating systems, i have used linuxes and nothing is scarier than updating your linux distro. Also owned a mac and have to say that mac os is pretty neat, but in my opinion macs are sort of luxury items. PC performance is cheap nowadays, its not pretty as a mac but still efficient.

Ive thought about getting 21mm f/3.2, 35mm f/2.8 macro and 70mm f/2.4.
Now im not sure in what order to get them. I kind of like the idea of having a 21mm prime for start because most of the time i find myself moving backwards not forwards when framing with a prime. However the 35mm macro capabilities are very interesting.

Oh also that 17-70mm f/4. No way i can afford everything this year, well maybe if i dont eat much . Perhaps 70mm and 35mm can wait, so i end up with 18-55WR, 55-200WR, 21mm and 17-70 f/4.
Last Edited by jukar on 26/05/2009 - 19:48

titchgamer

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 20:11
ROFL Shim.

I agree, We dont need microsoft screwing up our cameras!!

"WELCOME TO PENTAXSOFT K-7............CRITICAL ERROR 44892884449 YOUR CAMERA WILL NOW SHUT DOWN, ALL SAVED PHOTOS WILL BE LOST."
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk

Anvh

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 20:33
jukar wrote:
Oh also that 17-70mm f/4. No way i can afford everything this year, well maybe if i dont eat much . Perhaps 70mm and 35mm can wait, so i end up with 18-55WR, 55-200WR, 21mm and 17-70 f/4.

I would skip the both kit-lenses to behonest and get a DA55-300 or WR is a must of course.

Also don't forget the second-hand market the pentax A50mm f/1.7 aren't that expensive. There is also an A28 f/2.8, those aren't expensive either I believe. With A lenses you still have most function but no AF.

This a nice site to look around to see what lenses can fit on your pentax. link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 26/05/2009 - 20:34

golfdiesel

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 21:49
off-topic

jukar wrote:
...i have used linuxes and nothing is scarier than updating your linux distro.

Is it? Nothing scary about: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
I had more problems with Windows update then with linux update programs.
Even Gentoo is painless these days...(*)

But I haven't had many problems with Windows XP and Windows 7 looks very promising.

(*) Gentoo is a Linux distro which does not distribute updates/software in binary form (for the biggest part) but in source form so applications are compiled on your PC which according to some people gives a performance advantage.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

jukar

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 22:24
Anvh wrote:

I would skip the both kit-lenses to behonest and get a DA55-300 or WR is a must of course.

This a nice site to look around to see what lenses can fit on your pentax. link

Ok i reworked my list, now it has 17-70 f/4 and 55-300mm. I had to drop the prime, i believe i could
still afford one but i need to keep some safety margins what it comes to spending, so the prime has to wait a bit. This is a list i am working assuming K7 is a noticeably stronger camera than K20D, i believe K7 will excel and im going to be a pentax user in the future, in the unlikely case of a dud i just keep going with what i have.

There are really no other alternatives, olympus has small ovfs, canons are somewhat like nikons. Well there is the sony option, sonys are comfortable and their grip reminds me a lot of what K7 has. For some reason sony doesnt sound as much of a plan as pentax.

Thanks for the link.

golfdiesel wrote:
off-topic

jukar wrote:
...i have used linuxes and nothing is scarier than updating your linux distro.

Is it? Nothing scary about: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
I had more problems with Windows update then with linux update programs.
Even Gentoo is painless these days...(*)

But I haven't had many problems with Windows XP and Windows 7 looks very promising.

Well starting the update is the easiest part. The hard part comes once its done and you have to sort the mess out. To be fair i used linux 3 years ago, they might have improved altought different distros different skill sets. My friend used ubuntu a year ago and said that as long as you dont let it update itself its a very stable OS.

I have updated xp and vista plenty of times and no problems. Also updating Mac OS X was always a breeze but updating my linux got me nervous every time. I have to mention that during my use OS X has been the only OS that got faster as the version numbers increased.

Debian is a neat linux to use but i never ran full updates just single packages every now and then as i was playing around with setting up a server.

Windows 7 is very promising.
Last Edited by jukar on 26/05/2009 - 22:28

AnnetteW

Link Posted 26/05/2009 - 23:36
Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad to see someone else saying good things about a Mac!!!! You are right about it getting faster as it gets older.

I moved to Pentax from Olympus about 5 years ago. Have to say it just 'feels right'.

All the best and enjoy!!

Annette

Greytop

Link Posted 27/05/2009 - 00:09
Like Annette I too came from Olympus to Pentax, only more recently (five months) so can't really comment on Nikon-v-Pentax attributes.

I like the Pentax handling, build and image quality. I'm sure you will like it too

Welcome to the forum
Regards Huw

flickr

JudithAnn

Link Posted 27/05/2009 - 02:02
Welcome to the forum....I do hope you go out and try your hand at the system......I believe that the Pentax will sell itself to you. I think the idea of finding someone whom would be willing to let you have a go at it, is a fantastic idea.....
https://www.jastandringphotos.com

jukar

Link Posted 28/05/2009 - 00:00
AnnetteW, Greytop, JudithAnn

Thanks for the welcomes .

Cant say for sure how active i will be here, i guess i will go at least semi-lurker for the time it takes K-7 to arrive. I really wish K-7 excels because i havent been this excited about a camera for a long time, not D300, D90 or D5000. I got settled with D200 and from there on i have been pretty much indifferent about cameras. Occasionally i have glanced the D300 but it has been more to do with lack of options than genuine interest towards new camera.

Thordell

Link Posted 28/05/2009 - 08:15
Hi jukar, I know what you mean I have just placed an advanced order for the K7 something I have not ever done before, not even seen one and I am so excited it is daft.

But it is nice to have something to look forward to so I decided to place my order and I am very glad I did.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.