Considering a pentax system

jukar

Link Posted 29/05/2009 - 12:54
Thordell
Im not as brave as you but then again i dont know pentax yet or have any pentax gear. It feels great to have some goals .

Actually my fever to switch system is steadily rising as i am now looking at the k-m and i have noticed that you can buy a 70-300mm tamron lens for it at 139 euros and because you attach it to a pentax it is of course stabilized.

My parents own a frequently overexposing D40, stark contrast to film, they got better pictures with the F401. They are pretty reluctant to buy new lenses as they are somewhat expensive meaning they cant buy sub 200 lenses because they need the AF-S, they cant use their old nikon lenses as D40 lacks the focus motor. Old nikons they own are sub-par for digital so its not a huge loss for them to switch system.

They could afford new lenses but they are the kind of people who'd really liked to have something but they are very reluctant to get it unless it comes with a very low price tag and lifetime warranty, impossible combination.

I know that if i switch systems my parents will at some point follow, photography kind of goes in the family but my parents pretty much dropped out because of digital. I never mastered film even thought i tried but then when DIGITAL started i picked up .

Is there a place other than flickr or pbase to browse pictures taken with k-m, i am especially interested how it works in green mode and how much the metering has improved.

Who knows i might even get k-m first and k-7 second. That way i could afford that 35mm f/2.8 sooner, but then the k-7 would have to wait 1-2 months more. Then give k-m to my parents, sell D40 and buy k-7.

Anvh

Link Posted 29/05/2009 - 15:52
My dad also has the D40 and I neer got the hang with his camera.
I've hold the older D50 in my hands and that one seems so much better, I really don't know why they changed things.

Also it's a same using the Green-mode on a camera like the K-7, it's a real pro camera so you've full control only a button away.
Also Pentax have a lot of other half/full automatic modes.
Look a bit further into the P-mode or the TAv-mode, you might like them.
The K'D cameras tend to underexpose to preserve highlights, don't know how well it preforms and if they've improve that.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

hefty1

Link Posted 29/05/2009 - 16:59
jukar wrote:

Is there a place other than flickr or pbase to browse pictures taken with k-m, i am especially interested how it works in green mode and how much the metering has improved.

Try here: link

The site's run by Pentax USA hence the K-m is known by its American name; K2000. Apart from the name the K-m/K2000 are identical in every respect so you could try searching for photos from both on Flickr, etc.
Joining the Q

greynolds999

Link Posted 29/05/2009 - 17:31
Quote:
jukar wrote:

I have to say, if you're serious about photography, never ever use Green Mode! When you have no control over the settings, you have no control over the pictures.
My Photobucket

jukar

Link Posted 29/05/2009 - 17:35
Buying a k-m would be a stopgap solution for me but would end up as a camera to my parents with a budget 70-300mm zoom(+kit 18-55), i did the same thing with D40 (kit 18-55) (minus the 70-300mm zoom as i couldnt afford it), parents didnt like the P&S powershot quality but at the same time were not willing to buy a new camera. So i got myself a D40 with the intention of selling it to my parents as pro bono, metering was problematic but oh well.. not going to return it so. Now k-m i could pair up with a budget zoom, add in shake reduction and it all translates to "a lot of bang for the buck". This all assuming of course that i like k-m metering, only way to find out would be to buy or borrow one, dont think borrowing is going to happen.
On quick look i think k-m has less buttons than D40 which is actually a pretty good thing.

On second thought i think im going to keep it simple and go straight to k-7 assuming its a success. Its too bad that none of my nikon lenses are any use for my parents as they either require the in-body motor or the range is already covered.

The sensitivity mode is very interesting i can also think a few situations where i really could have used TAv.

hefty1
Thanks for the link, that website is very impressive but unfortunately i dont think it represents the "green mode" shooter that well. Still a great website. I think the only way to really find out is to use the k-m myself.
Last Edited by jukar on 29/05/2009 - 17:45

jukar

Link Posted 29/05/2009 - 18:03
greynolds999

While for the most part i agree with your comment about the green mode. I must add that i feel very letdown by the D40 because i know what kind of pictures my parents took with the film F401. And now when they take pictures with the D40 they are overexposed, lacking detail and generally they come off pretty poor. The ideas in the pictures are often good, but the technical side is a huge letdown.

Now to my understanding the f401 was largely automatic slr, not to mention the developing process of the film, send us the roll and we develop it. A lot of neat shots, not so with the D40. Well you could get the same effect with raw and free time, but its not very automatic if you work each picture by hand. Overall i am disappointed by this decrease in "green mode" quality, but on the other hand D40 has good qualitis like high-iso which was a huge problem with parents P&S automatic mode or not.

To put a long story short, its not really about me its about my parents shooting with their first DSLR and me watching in disbelief as the D40 automatic modes cant keep up with the early nineties.
Last Edited by jukar on 29/05/2009 - 18:03

Anvh

Link Posted 29/05/2009 - 18:33
I believe that the metering is pretty constant with the K10D, it underexpose a bit most of the time so I've it set to over exposed 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop bit depending on the light. Like I said earlier it tries to keep the highlights down.

The autmatic modes in the K-M are improved I believe compared to the K10D so I expect them to work better but I don't know to behonest.

Also you need to know the limitation about the metering system it tries to get 18% grey I believe, so if you've a lot of white it will underexpose and with a lot of black it will overexpose of course.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/05/2009 - 18:35
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.