Confession time
Posted 27/08/2010 - 21:20
Link
piotro wrote:
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25867
and some comments here:
]http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25638
Oggy wrote:
This site seems to have the best aircraft photography I have found on the net.
They did a survey back along as to who used what and the results went along the lines of out of 10, others - 1, Pentax - 1, Noink - 2, C***n - 6. That sent me a message.
You mentioned that website, this thread was worth to mentione (started by "somebody" with the same avatar like yours here ), see comments from ex Pentax users that changed brands:This site seems to have the best aircraft photography I have found on the net.
They did a survey back along as to who used what and the results went along the lines of out of 10, others - 1, Pentax - 1, Noink - 2, C***n - 6. That sent me a message.
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25867
and some comments here:
]http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25638
I may well be acquainted with that bear.
Posted 27/08/2010 - 22:24
Link
ChrisA wrote:
How about a whip round? Someone help me stump up for a couple of weeks rental for a D300S and a good consumer zoom that covers the 50-300 range, and I'll hang out at the airfield for a couple of days and do a proper comparison.
it has to be said... and it has been before... but if you have a limited and specific need such as that for your cameras, you would be better renting than buying a system. Regardless of brand.
How about a whip round? Someone help me stump up for a couple of weeks rental for a D300S and a good consumer zoom that covers the 50-300 range, and I'll hang out at the airfield for a couple of days and do a proper comparison.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Posted 27/08/2010 - 22:50
Link
flossie wrote:
it has to be said... and it has been before... but if you have a limited and specific need such as that for your cameras, you would be better renting than buying a system. Regardless of brand.
Thing is, I have *extremely* limited experience of other brands. I'd need to actually use the alternative for a bit, before I'd rashly jump ship.it has to be said... and it has been before... but if you have a limited and specific need such as that for your cameras, you would be better renting than buying a system. Regardless of brand.
I didn't like the feel of the D100 I played with a couple of years ago, despite its ability to focus in the dark.
I can see no option but to rent, or conceivably borrow, what I might buy, for long enough to have a view.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 28/08/2010 - 07:26
Link
Oggy wrote:
Time for a confession.
I have bought a Cxxxn.
My favourite subjects are aircraft and wildlife. I suffered the two usual limitations with Pentax, AF speed and lens length. Initially I thought of a K7/Bigma setup, but talking to serious aircraft snappers I decided this was not going to be as effective.
I do not intend to part with my K20 or my shorter lenses. The ergonomics of the Pentax knocks the Cxxxn into a cocked hat and it doesn't seem to have K20's depth of colour.
Bottom line - different tools for different jobs.
No need for confession, you are not alone. There are other guys around here did the same for similar reasons. I do not think it is a problem. Contrary, it gives power to this site.
Time for a confession.
I have bought a Cxxxn.
My favourite subjects are aircraft and wildlife. I suffered the two usual limitations with Pentax, AF speed and lens length. Initially I thought of a K7/Bigma setup, but talking to serious aircraft snappers I decided this was not going to be as effective.
I do not intend to part with my K20 or my shorter lenses. The ergonomics of the Pentax knocks the Cxxxn into a cocked hat and it doesn't seem to have K20's depth of colour.
Bottom line - different tools for different jobs.
Posted 28/08/2010 - 13:04
Link
ChrisA wrote:
The thing is, if I get up at 5.30am to go to an airshow, wait 5 hours for the display to start, have to fight off all the eejits encroaching on my spot, and ultimately have to spend three hours getting home again, it's not a pleasure for me to lose most of my beautifully composed and perfectly timed works of art because the ****ers aren't in bl**dy focus.
Having spent the price of a not brilliant but still functional second hand car on the kit, I'm afraid I'm not especially happy when it, rather than I, is the limit on what I can achieve.
But still you go every time so there must be something besides the good photos you make that attracts you Anvh wrote:
@Chris you got it
Please don't assume that because I can see where you're coming from, I agree, because I don't @Chris you got it
The thing is, if I get up at 5.30am to go to an airshow, wait 5 hours for the display to start, have to fight off all the eejits encroaching on my spot, and ultimately have to spend three hours getting home again, it's not a pleasure for me to lose most of my beautifully composed and perfectly timed works of art because the ****ers aren't in bl**dy focus.
Having spent the price of a not brilliant but still functional second hand car on the kit, I'm afraid I'm not especially happy when it, rather than I, is the limit on what I can achieve.
All I said was that that feeling will never change no matter what camera you use and that was the point I'm trying to make. ^^;
Posted 28/08/2010 - 13:09
Link
ChrisA wrote:
How about a whip round? Someone help me stump up for a couple of weeks rental for a D300S and a good consumer zoom that covers the 50-300 range, and I'll hang out at the airfield for a couple of days and do a proper comparison.
Wouldn't a 4/3th system be better?How about a whip round? Someone help me stump up for a couple of weeks rental for a D300S and a good consumer zoom that covers the 50-300 range, and I'll hang out at the airfield for a couple of days and do a proper comparison.
I believe the AF of the Olympus are very fast, at least that was what an old Olympus user told (forgot who it was) on this forum
Also the smaller frame makes the lenses even longer and the optimized mount allows for very fast lenses.
Posted 28/08/2010 - 18:38
Link
Stefan - the last Olympus I saw at an airshow was my OM1.
Posted 28/08/2010 - 21:00
Link
It may not be rigorous proof that it is not suitable but when so many of the top aircraft photographers use the same make then there's a bit of a clue.
As I also know to my from the dent in my bank account, it is not a price thing either.
As I also know to my from the dent in my bank account, it is not a price thing either.
Posted 28/08/2010 - 21:20
Link
Oggy what the masses think isn't always right, right?
Surely it means your must seriously consider the systems that they use but that doesn't mean another system might be better for you.
Surely it means your must seriously consider the systems that they use but that doesn't mean another system might be better for you.
Posted 28/08/2010 - 21:38
Link
I'LL SECOND THAT
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 28/08/2010 - 21:39
Link
Stefan - I can't cope with another 7 page thread dithering between one make and another .
Oggy thought about it and acted on his feelings.
He , in his eyes, made an informed decision .
Now go thou and do the same about your new computer - dithering is NOT good
Oggy thought about it and acted on his feelings.
He , in his eyes, made an informed decision .
Now go thou and do the same about your new computer - dithering is NOT good
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 28/08/2010 - 21:53
Link
What an emotion, that three people need to tell me that... don't you like me *snif*
ChrisA was considering a D300S for aviation photography
I asked if maybe 4/3th system might not be better?
Because the AF from the Olympus seems to be pretty good and the extra crop factor might be useful.
But well you can all read that so no idea why I said that again and you can read what Oggy and I said after that.
Oggy basically said Olympus are no good because no one use them and I said that doesn't proof anything.
I've no idea how that connects to Oggy buying a Canon, could you please tell me?
Mike-P wrote:
FFS Stefan, Oggy has bought the Canon, he's happy with the Canon .. just let it go eh.
FFS Stefan, Oggy has bought the Canon, he's happy with the Canon .. just let it go eh.
techno-terminator wrote:
Oggy thought about it and acted on his feelings.
He , in his eyes, made an informed decision .
It's not at all about that, my first comment wasn't even directed at Oggy.Oggy thought about it and acted on his feelings.
He , in his eyes, made an informed decision .
ChrisA was considering a D300S for aviation photography
I asked if maybe 4/3th system might not be better?
Because the AF from the Olympus seems to be pretty good and the extra crop factor might be useful.
But well you can all read that so no idea why I said that again and you can read what Oggy and I said after that.
Oggy basically said Olympus are no good because no one use them and I said that doesn't proof anything.
I've no idea how that connects to Oggy buying a Canon, could you please tell me?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



2406 posts
17 years
Worthing
That sent me a message.